Room for Rent and other rental scams
#357085 by Michelle Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:50 am
De : Maria Gemma <[email protected]>

We were in Belgium last week because we had to meet with another gentleman who wanted to rent the apartment, but when we arrived there the man never answered the phone.
As you can imagine we lost a lot of money (plane ticket, taxi...etc...) We will not come again in Belgium for nothing. We need the guarantee that you are really interested to rent the apartment and you have the money to pay for it.

Here is our proposal:

You will go to MoneyGram or Western Union and you will send 2 month rent + 1 month deposit in Scotland in the name of your relative.
You will make the transfer for example: in the name of your father, brother,friend...etc.
It does not matter if you do not have relatives in Scotland (You just assume for a moment that your father or who you want is now in Scotland.)

After i will see the copy of the transfer and prove me that you have the money to rent the apartment we will buy a plane ticket and we will come to Belgium with the keys and
you can see the apartment and if you agree to rent it we will make all the necessary procedure: a contract and all.

After we will go together to MoneyGram and you can change the transfer to my name. I think that this is a good proposal
and we hope that you also agree, because we do not want to risk again to come to Belgium without this guarantee.

Thank you and we are looking forward to hearing from you.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement