Room for Rent and other rental scams
#357183 by Michelle Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:50 am
Von: "Mn Mr" <[email protected]>

My name is Iolanda Marchesi and I am the owner of the apartment located at 79098 Freiburg, Gauchstraße 4. I am very happy that you want to move into my apartment and hope that you will treat it like your own place. I would really appreciate if you could answer me in english because my german is very bad. To be honest with you when I worked in Freiburg I spooked only in english.

The apartment has 1 bedroom, living room, kitchen, 1 bathroom, surface of 47m2 and is fully furnished. If by any chance you want to rent it unfurnished you can move all the furniture into my basement storage.

Is available for rent at Eur 250 per month including all utilities (Electricity/Telephone/Cable/internet/Water), for as long as you need. Recently renovated the apartment is in a very good condition, very clean and completely livable. The asking rent is lower then the average price requested in that area but not using a letting agent and not paying fees and commissions allows me to ask a lower rental price than others.

The apartment was bought by me in 2017, and I lived there until 4 months ago when my job contract ended and I returned home to Italy. Also the apartment is near the public transportation, a gym, and other facilities. It has a parking space for one car. I have spent a great amount of money with the apartment and my request is that you treat it like it was your own.

I am looking for a long term tenancy agreement as I will most definitely never return to Freiburg for permanent residency.

Hope you don't mind answering a few questions:

1. Who will be living in the property and what are their occupations?
2. Are there any children, pets or smokers who will live in the property?
3. How long will the initial tenancy be required for 6 - 12 months - longer etc?

Please let me know if you are seriously interested.
Iolanda Marchesi

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#359170 by Veromas Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:58 am
Came also across him/her and wanted to leave the conversation here, the first mail isn't copied, but it was exactly the same, just another adress.

I've investigated a bit and unlucky for you I know are few people who are currently working at Kronenburggasse 13 and near it. After browsing through a few websites I also came across a few mails very similar to yours, only the address was another. My conclusion: put a little bit of effort in your "work", people aren't as dumb as you think.
Thanks for wasting my time,
sincerely,

Leon Ebert
--

Am 20.03.18, 11:07, MM Diaz <[email protected]> schrieb:
I will not be using the apartment for the next 4 years for sure, maybe never. You can move in when it's possible for you but please understand that I have to secure a tenant as soon as possible. We can start with a renting contract of 6 months and it can be renewed if necessary or if you wish to move out earlier 30 days notice will be required.

First I have to inform you that the price you shall pay for the first month of rent will be EUR 250 and I also require a damage deposit of EUR 500 which will be reimbursed when you move out, in total you have to pay EUR 750 so you can move in my apartment without any additional charges to pay. I want to receive the monthly rent from you in my bank account, so I hope it will be no problem for you to wire the money.

I'm willing to send you the keys so you can visit and check the apartment. The delivery of keys and the rental contract (signed by me), will be made by a worldwide third party company called Uniplaces.com ( http://www.uniplaces.com ).

I, as the owner, will have to submit the lease details and copies of the ownership documents to Uniplaces.com for verification. After Uniplaces.com accepts the transaction and completes the documents verification they will contact you as the potsendinand verify if you have the funds available to rent the apartment. If you want I can explain you more about the Uniplaces.com renting process so you can understand better the whole process....I used Uniplaces.com before and I was very pleased by their services in the past ( they are true professionals).

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 12:20 PM, Leon Ebert <[email protected]> wrote:
Dear Iolanda Marches,
First of all sorry for my late response, but I hope this isn't a problem. I would rent your apartment furnished, but are there additional costs for the furniture? Regarding your questions, I tried my best answering them, but it took some time since English isn't my native language.
1. ...
2. ...
3. ...
I hope you can deencrypt the whole text I wrote, and I look forward to see the apartment for myself.
That's all I've got, and what you asked for,
sincerely,

Leon Ebert
———

I am wondering if I will get an answer from the scammer, however people, please don't fall for that.

"My dissapointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined"