Room for Rent and other rental scams
#359193 by cron Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:44 pm
This scammer has been reported with a different email but the same phone number here https://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=125727
https://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=155485

The phone number he/she uses:
213-537-6991 (without spaces for search engines: 2135376991)

Red flags:
The price was way too good, the person was way too friendly.
The post was deleted one day after I replied.
As I found later, the images in the post were taken from internet.
Suspicious stories about him having to put someone else's bank account into the lease agreement.
The phone and parts of his emails can be found online in scam-related posts.

Here's the text of emails. He reuses them too, as I found later. Hope more people will find them here.

Hello
Thanks for your inquiry, The unit is still very much available. Your email address is showing up as a craigslist automated email,Please get back to me with your email address and phone number and i 'll email some more information in regards to the unit.
Best,
Philip

Hello
Thanks for your interest in the unit. It's a private apartment,nothing to share with anyone.
Its just few steps to Transportation,Grocery,shops,restaurants,bar and many more
The apartment is pet friendly,All Utilties are included,Wifi and Cable are also included in the rent.
Air conditioning and heat is available and there is laundry in the building,
This apartment is located in a safe and quiet neighborhood and the other tenants in the building are very well Mannered.
The address is 360 Everett Ave Palo Alto.
The Monthly rent is $1,500,All utilties included and Other fees included is the Security Deposit of $500 which is 100% Refundable on move out.
I'll need you to get back to me with total the Number of guests that would be occupying the unit.
What is your preferred move in date and how long you are planning on accommodating the unit.
I hope to hear from you soon.
Call/text (213) 537-6991
Thanks,
Philip

Hello,
Thank you for getting back to me, If you are interested in securing the unit for your dates,I'll draw up a lease agreement form for your chosen dates and send a copy to you through email. You would need to go through the lease agreement form and if you are okay with the terms of the lease then you can ahead with filling out the necessary details needed in the lease and input your signature.Once that has completed,You will need to send a scanned copy back to me through email or fax.
The move in deposit which is the first month rent ($1500) plus the security deposit ($500 ) is to be paid along signing to lease to confirm your lease,Payment of the move in deposit is accepted through Bank Deposit.
Once the deposit as been confirmed,you will be sent a lease confirmation invoice to confirm the lease has been secured for your dates.
I'll personally be at the unit upon move-in to hand the keys to you in person and give you a tour around.
You have a full money refund guarantee within 48 hours of move-in,if the unit is not to your satisfaction.
Let me know if you would like to proceed with the lease.
Regards,
Philip
Advertisement

#364943 by Bryon Williams Thu May 17, 2018 6:23 pm
Is the email address and phone number the same?

Make sure you can physically go inside any rental and meet the landlord face to face prior to renting.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#364947 by ngraboys Thu May 17, 2018 6:43 pm
Same email address, different number, (15599976759), which, when I tried to call it was a Google Voice number and the person said they would rather text. Do you know what kind of scam this is-- if I paid would I just never hear from them again? They did upload a picture of property taxes?
#364948 by Bryon Williams Thu May 17, 2018 6:46 pm
Scammer wants to steal your money. They do not own the property. Property records are made public.

They would rather text because he does not want you to hear his accent.

Follow my advice and you should be ok.

1-559-997-6759
(559) 997-6759
Type: Non-Fixed VoIP (e.g. Skype or Google Voice)

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#364949 by ngraboys Thu May 17, 2018 6:53 pm
I really appreciate it, thanks a lot. I am renting for a summer internship but I am on the East Coast so I can't get there to see it face to face, I appreciate the help. Is there a place I can find public property records to make sure I don't get scammed? Thanks
#364950 by Bryon Williams Thu May 17, 2018 6:55 pm
My suggestion is to contact the school or job and ask for rental agencies references.

You can also contact the Chamber of Commerce for references.