Room for Rent and other rental scams
#46538 by Con Warner Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:47 pm
I.P. address: 41.155.90.135 - Oshodi, Nigeria.
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 09:25:53 -0800 (PST)
To: Con Warner
Subject: Re: Interested

Hello,

Thanks for your email and interest in renting my house...I am the owner of the house which you are making enquiry of...My Wife and I just traveled to West Africa for a program called Empowering Youth to Fight Racism, HIV/AIDS, Poverty and Lack of Education which will be taking place in three major countries which are Kenya, India and Nigeria for a period of 5-7 years. Presently my house is still available for rent (rent already includes utilities).

The house was previously listed with a Realtor but we decided to handle it on our own in order to know who we are renting to. Also, due to the fact that a Realtor agent would want to handle it professionally and the occupant may not be able to reason along with him/her later. This is one reason the price we are offering is far below standard rental price and this is enough for you to know that we are not after the rental fee but the utmost care and maintenance for the property. I know there may be no way we can be sure of the right person to live in the house because we won't be able to meet before hand regarding sending you the keys and the documents to occupy the space and since we don't run credit checks. So if you believe you can take good care of the house and handle it like yours then I will be more than willing to let you rent the house..The monthly rent is $1300 including utilities and the security deposit (refundable) is $1300 to move in as soon as you are ready.

Because of my penchant for pets also, there is no pet restriction but pets must generally be well behaved.

House Address : ( 6247 44th Avenue NE, Seattle WA )

SO IF YOU ARE REALLY INTERESTED I WILL WANT YOU TO FILL THE RENT APPLICATION FORM BELOW

RENT APPLICATION FORM.

Name ( Surname/First name/ Last name ) :__________?
Phone # :__________?
E-mail :__________?
Best time to call :__________?

How many proposed occupants :__________?
List all in addition to yourself including approx age :__________?

Present Address :__________?
City/State : __________?

Will You Have Pets :__________?
Please Describe Breed, size :__________?
Personality of Pet :__________?

Preferred Move in Date :__________?
Length of Previous Tenancy :__________?

Present Occupation :__________?

Are You A Section 8 Applicant : __________?

Do You Run A Business From Home :__________?
If So What Kind Of Business :__________?
Do You Work Late Night :__________?

Do You Smoke :__________?
Do You Drink :__________?

After filling in the rental form, i will really appreciate it if you could just drive by and take a look at my property

Looking forward to hearing from you with all this details so that i can have it in my file in case of issuing the receipt for you, contacting you and to discuss on how to get the document and the keys to you.

The house is available for rent at the moment so you are free to move in as soon as you wish to...The deposit is refundable if at the end of the day you don't like the House but i am giving you the benefit of doubt that you would definitely like it. The keys and Documents have already been packaged and as soon as we reach an agreement, i would be sending them over to your present address for you to move in. The house will be available for rent for a period of 5 years so you have a choice of deciding how long you intend staying there...Feel free to call me for more information and arrangements on how to get the keys and other necessary documents delivered to you...You can reach me on +234-808-196-6889 OR 011-234-808-196-6889.

Lest i forget, there is a Realtor sign in the yard before we left. If you wish to speak to me please don't hesitate to call me

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union or MoneyGram with a promise that he will send the keys through a courier company.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement