Room for Rent and other rental scams
#362348 by Michelle Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:37 am

Hi,

The apartment is now available for rent.
We would like to know a little about you:

- where are you from?
- how many persons you intend to live in my apartment?
- how long ?
Also if you can send me a picture it will be nice.

I will be glad to rent it to anyone who likes to keep it clean and tidy. We can rent the apartment for unlimited time ( 1 to 5 years maybe more ).

Thank you,

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#362588 by Michelle Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:09 am

Hi again,

As I told you in my last e-mail, we are living in Switzerland. Before leaving Belgium I had the deal with VRBO, so my presence in Belgium it is not necessary.
The keys and all papers are in their possession. You will have 3 days to inspect the apartment before you decide if you want to keep it or not.

If you want to rent my apartment, reply me with this details.

- Your first and last name:
- Preferred commencement date of tenancy:
- How many occupants will live there?
- Your contact number:
- What is your profession?
- A copy of your ID or Passport:

After I will get this details from you, I will forward them to VRBO.
They will contact you with further details regarding the reservation and the payment.

Best Regards