Room for Rent and other rental scams
#363116 by yeahsurebud Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:24 am
I knew it was a risk responding to a vague ad on Craiglist, but in my area, many older folks renting out their houses in my area are unable to post pictures, so I give some leeway.

This person emailed me back with a long set up story as to why we couldn't talk on the phone and why we could not see the property. The property in question is a beautiful newly renovated house, and it was 600 a month with utilities included. For the size of this house, absolutely ridiculous pricing. This is the email I received.

"Hi, Thanks for your email. The house is still available. Let me start by introducing myself.My name is Jeffrey N Johnson..I own the house located at 44 May Rd, --------. first and foremost,I am hearing impaired,not deaf though just Hard of hearing. I would have loved to be able to get to contact you on phone but due to my condition, emails are the fastest means for us to communicate now.

The initial plan was to sell out the House which I tried, but my agents inflates the price of house because of their selfish gains and it takes longer to sell.i am telling you this in case if you find the house on another website or you found a sign board in front of the house, that is the old adverts,Please ignore. I need a responsible person, i don't have a problem with your credit as long as you can take good care of the home. I want it to be clean and be taken care of as if it were yours. Pet are allowed as long as they are not destructive. The rent is $630 and the security deposit is $630

i'm away on my new job so i won't be able to come and show you around the house as i would have loved to, but attached below are pictures of the interior of the house so you can see what it looks like from the inside . You are free to ask any more information you would like to know about the house and also visit the location.the address is written below.

DETAILS ABOUT THE HOUSE..

Number of bedrooms: 2
Number of bathrooms: 2 full bath.
Address: 44 May Rd, ----------
Rental price: $630 per month
Security Deposit: $630 (Security Deposit is Refundable)

Utilities included in monthly rent and Pets are Welcome.

Get back to me if interested so i can forward you the rent questionnaire i would want you to fill out

Regards"

I find a listing for the house on zulily, and the pictures and the listing both say there are 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom, this guy says it is 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Yup, okay bud. Also, faking a hearing impairment to set up your scam is scummy.

I called the realtors office and they said it happens to them all the time because they take good pictures (I will admit, the photos they took were lovely).

I replied to him asking a bunch of specific questions about the area and the property, and I'm going to try and get him to hang himself with his own rope. I figured I would post the information and story here in case anyone else in my area (upstate state new york / north country) gets an email from this guy.
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotation.
Advertisement