Room for Rent and other rental scams
#371912 by Bryon Williams Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:39 pm
James Pickard < [email protected] > wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for having interest. The Apartment is still available for rent and i am looking for a responsible person/family to occupy and maintain the apartment now that i am not around as i am currently in Scotland due to my job transfer to J Breheny Contractors Ltd.

The rent is €450 /month includes utilities - Heat, water, sewer, wireless internet facilities, washing machine, gas, and electrical utility + Cable TV 180 programs.

Additional cost of €500 for security deposit which is refundable while packing without any lost or damage of my properties.

The Apartment is located at (Dintelstraat 148, 1079 BD Amsterdam, Netherlands) The apartment spacious 65sqm and room is about 30sqm situated on the second floor of the building also you can register with my address, restaurant, supermarket, grocery stores are within the walking distance and is just about 1.2km to the metro station.

Since i am not around to show the Apartment. You can drive by to see the Apartment and the living environment. Its a lovely home everybody would like. Feel free to call me for more information and arrangements on how to get the keys and other necessary documents delivered to you.

Attached to this email are more interior pictures of the apartment for you to have an idea how the inside looks like.

Before any reservation, can you tell me little expression about yourself,

Where are you from and also where are you presently?
Present occupation?
what is your gender and How old are you?
what is your experience in renting an Apartment /Housing?
How many proposed occupants?
Are you paying the rent by yourself? (If NO Specify who is paying)?
How many months’ rent are you willing to pay upon moving into the Apartment?
Did you have car?
Mobile Number #?
Best time to call you?

I will be waiting for your response and you can simply reach me at my phone number (+44) 7024099255 for more information and for further discussion on the property.

Best Regards
James

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
Advertisement

#374112 by annienova Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:51 pm
Hi Bryon, I'm so thankful I ran into your post or else I would have been scammed. I found the apartment on craigslist and it looked amazing. I contacted the person and he immediately replied. Instead of being called James like the email you posted he went by Hichem ([email protected]) but his story remained the same. He was moving to a different country and needed someone to occupy the apartment and you couldn't see the apartment as he wasn't there.

My gut instincts were telling me it was too good to be true, but because the apartment looked amazing and was affordable I overlooked it. I was naive and desperate to find an apartment :( But, when I asked again if a friend/family would be able to show me the apartment and he completely ignored the question that's when I decided to research into him. I searched the apartment's address online and found your post. I've temporarily uploaded the emails we sent onto [Removed - AJ] for you to see and I'm so glad I found your post!
Last edited by AlanJones on Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed external link
#374113 by AlanJones Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:09 pm
Please post the actual text of the emails you received here (not screenshots or links to external sites).

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.