Room for Rent and other rental scams
#372697 by Michelle Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:08 am

Hello,

We are Angela and Joaquin. Travel and holidays are a big part of our lives. We love the mountains and skiing and last year we moved in Haute Nendaz, Switzerland to open up a business in tourism. We own a chalet, which at the moment is our main source of income. It was pretty hard, we were very close to give up but in the end we made it.

At first, the apartment was on sale. Being not very profitable and after further discussion with my husband we decided to rent it. The apartment's address is: Limnologinraitti 4, 00790 Helsinki. The monthly rent is 650 € with all utilities included. The apartment is identical that in pictures.

We would like to know you better. Please tell us something about you and the reason for renting the apartment.

At the moment, neither of us can come to Finland, we are busy with the chalet administration so we can't meet with you personally but we do have a solution for this inconvenience so you can move in as soon as possible.

We can offer you more details if you are interested.

Thanks,
Angela y Joaquin Pamblanco

P.S. I appreciate a reply in English, if it is possible. Thank you!

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice or notification -- Make no mistake, the document will be fake !
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice or notification, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.

Advertisement

#372719 by Max Jackson Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:52 pm
Got exactly the same email for a room in Amsterdam:

Hello,

We are Angela and Joaquin. Travel and holidays are a big part of our lives. We love the mountains and skiing and last year we moved in Haute Nendaz, Switzerland to open up a business in tourism. We own a chalet, which at the moment is our main source of income. It was pretty hard, we were very close to give up but in the end we made it.

At first, the apartment was on sale. Being not very profitable and after further discussion with my husband we decided to rent it. The apartment's address is: Lijnbaansgracht 267, 1017RL Amsterdam. The monthly rent is 700 € with all utilities included. The apartment is identical that in pictures.

We would like to know you better. Please tell us something about you and the reason for renting the apartment.

At the moment, neither of us can come to Netherlands, we are busy with the chalet administration so we can't meet with you personally but we do have a solution for this inconvenience so you can move in as soon as possible.

Thanks,

#373501 by lghb2005 Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:47 am
I got the same response as people did for an apartment in Amsterdam.

Hello,

At first, the apartment was on sale. Being not very profitable and after further discussion with my husband we decided to rent it. The apartment's address is: Lijnbaansgracht 267, 1017RL Amsterdam. The monthly rent is 700 € with all utilities included. The apartment is identical that in pictures.

At the moment, neither of us can come to Netherlands, we are busy with the chalet administration so we can't meet with you personally but we do have a solution for this inconvenience so you can move in as soon as possible.

Thanks,

#409382 by Lobkemarijke Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:14 pm
I got almost the same email, but with Katerina instead of Angela. They don't answer the questions I have and want me to pay 2 months of rent + 500 euro before I have even seen the apartment while using HomeAway service. I didn't trust it, went on google and found the previous emails from this forum sent.

We are Katerina and Joaquin. Travel and holidays are a big part of our lives. We love the mountains and skiing and last year we moved to Haute Nendaz, Switzerland to open up a business in tourism. We own a chalet, which at the moment is our main source of income. It was pretty hard, we were very close to giving up but in the end we made it.

At first, the apartment was on sale but after further discussion with my husband we decided to rent it. The apartment's address is: Vondellaan 21, 9721LA Groningen. The monthly rent is 785euro with utilities included. The apartment is furnished and equipped.

The minimum period for renting the apartment is 3 months up to maximum 5 years. Registration to the municipality is possible. We have written out of the municipality so you will register the house as a main tenant, a condition for getting housing allowance. We also have a storage place where you can deposit pieces of furniture so you can bring your own but please keep in mind that you can't store all the apartment's furniture there.

At the moment, it's impossible for both of us to personally show you the apartment due to our busy schedule and chalet administration but this is not a problem because we can use Homeaway's services. Besides vacations, they also handle rentals, providing secure services for both tenants and hosts.

[email protected]
Last edited by AlanJones on Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Added quotes for clarity
#409386 by Lia1995 Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:48 pm
This is what I received for an appartment in Groningen. At first I had to send a message through WhatsApp to +31 6 84030321, which would give me a message to send income details to [email protected].

This is the email I received:

We are Agnes and Joaquin. Travel and holidays are a big part of our lives. We love the mountains and skiing and last year we moved to Haute Nendaz, Switzerland to open up a business in tourism. We own a chalet, which at the moment is our main source of income. It was pretty hard, we were very close to giving up but in the end we made it.

At first, the apartment was on sale but after further discussion with my husband we decided to rent it. The apartment's address is: Billitonstraat 70, 9715EW Groningen. The monthly rent is 735euro with utilities included. The apartment is furnished and equipped.

The minimum period for renting the apartment is 3 months up to maximum 5 years. Registration to the municipality is possible. We have written out of the municipality so you will register the house as a main tenant, a condition for getting housing allowance. We also have a storage place where you can deposit pieces of furniture so you can bring your own but please keep in mind that you can't store all the apartment's furniture there.

At the moment, it's impossible for both of us to personally show you the apartment due to our busy schedule and chalet administration but this is not a problem because we can use Homeaway's services. Besides vacations, they also handle rentals, providing secure services for both tenants and hosts.

Regards,
Agnes and Joaquin
Last edited by AlanJones on Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotes for clarity
#411052 by falkotje Wed May 27, 2020 11:31 am
I got the same Repsonse!

I'm sorry for the late response. We are Lisette and Joaquin. Travel and holidays are a big part of our lives. We love the mountains and skiing and last year we moved to Haute Nendaz, Switzerland to open up a business in tourism. We own a chalet, which at the moment is our main source of income. It was pretty hard, we were very close to giving up but in the end we made it.

At first, the apartment was on sale. Being not very profitable and after further discussion with my husband we decided to rent it. The apartment's address is: Stikke Hezelstraat 5, 6511 JV Nijmegen. The monthly rent is 725euro with all utilities included. The apartment is furnished and equipped.

At the moment, it's impossible for both of us to personally show you the apartment due to our schedule and chalet administration but this is not a problem because we can use Homeaway's services. They handle rentals for people all over the world providing secure services for both tenants and hosts.

Regards,
Lisette and Joaquin

#411115 by MyNameDoesNotFi Thu May 28, 2020 11:29 am
They tried scamming us too, when looking it up on HomeAway the site did not recognize the location. The link in the E-mail takes you to a fake replica of the HomeAway site.
We even got a rental contract and a picture of Joaquin's I.D.

Good evening (name),

I'm sorry for the late response. We are Lisette and Joaquin. Travel and holidays are a big part of our lives. We love the mountains and skiing and last year we moved to Haute Nendaz, Switzerland to open up a business in tourism. We own a chalet, which at the moment is our main source of income. It was pretty hard, we were very close to giving up but in the end we made it.

At first, the apartment was on sale. Being not very profitable and after further discussion with my husband we decided to rent it. The apartment's address is: Stikke Hezelstraat 5, 6511 JV Nijmegen. The monthly rent is 725euro with all utilities included. The apartment is furnished and equipped.

At the moment, it's impossible for both of us to personally show you the apartment due to our schedule and chalet administration but this is not a problem because we can use Homeaway's services. They handle rentals for people all over the world providing secure services for both tenants and hosts.

Regards,
Lisette and Joaquin

Hello,

This is Joaquin, Lisette's husband.
Anouk, the apartment is exactly as in the pictures. We explained our situation from the start. We are unable to come at the moment because we are very crowded at the chalet. We offered you a very safe and easy solution to close the transaction. Most of our clients use Homeaway services. They always make the payment first, to Homeaway. The money stays in their custody until the first day of vacation.

The same situation is here. You have to make the payment to Homeaway. The money will be in their custody until you will check the apartment and confirm if you are satisfied. Only with your approval Homeaway will release the money to me. After the apartment inspection, if you decide not to rent it, you will be refunded in full by Homeaway the next day.

We will use Homeaway services only this first time. After you will receive the keys and sign the contract, the monthly rent will be paid directly in our bank account. After that the following period will be under contract. The contract will be only between us and no third party. At first, if it's ok with you too, we can do a 6 months or an 1 year contract with the possibility of renewal and an 1 month notice period in case you want to move out sooner.

I have listed the apartment on Homeaway so you can make the reservation.
Here is the link: https://homeaway.com.apartment-rental-p859132.info/index.php/room/HA-63XPOI72

I have inserted an average per night of 24euro. You will book the apartment for 2 months. The total amount will be of: 24euro x 60days (the first 2 months of your stay) + 500euro refundable deposit (in full, at the end of your stay, if no damage is done to the apartment).

After you complete the booking, Homeaway will send you the invoice so you can make the payment in order to confirm the apartment reservation. As soon as Homeaway confirms that the payment is in their custody, I will start the shipping of the keys and contract.

We will send the keys via certified mail so there must be somebody to sign for them. The shipping shouldn't take more than 3-4 working days, this means we can schedule the inspection for next week if you are ok with it. After the inspection, if you decide not to rent the apartment, you will be refunded in full, by Homeaway, the next day.

I don't know what else I can say. This solution offers protection for both of us. I also included a copy of my I.D. and a draft contract to read and to confirm if you want to add something up.

We wait for your e-mail as soon as possible to confirm if you want to continue or not.

Joaquin