Room for Rent and other rental scams
#374830 by rachaelramon Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:25 am
Hi, my 19 year old daughter is searching for accomodation in Bristol and got very excited when she saw a flat in the centre of Bristol for only 390 pounds a month, bills included. I smelt a rat and asked her to send me the email when they responded to her enquiry, which is copied below. As I expected, having read various topics on Airbnb scams on this website, it's a scam. Is there any way I can report this person for fraud? It makes me so angry that these people prey on inexperienced youngsters and students who haven't a penny. She found the ad on Roombuddies, so we will report it there too.

Hello XXX, This is the apartment address so you can check it out on google for routes, transportation and surroundings: 14 Highbury Villas, Bristol BS2 8BY
Your description is good for me. Sadly, we are not in the city to to show you the apartment personally because we decided to rent it after we left to Germany.
We made the photos just before we left so the apartment is fully mobilated exactly like in the photos. We have a basement in the building where you can put everything you don't need.
As I said, because we are not in the city, we want to make the deal through Airbnb(in this way they will show you the apartment for us), so if you're interested let me know so I can explain the entire procedure.
Thank you, Philipp
Last edited by AlanJones on Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Removed personal details and added quotes for clarity
Advertisement

#374832 by AlanJones Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:30 am
Thanks for posting. You can report the scam to your local police, but, as no money has been lost and the scammers are most likely overseas, there is little that they can do.

Your post here will help other victims being scammed bythem.

Please do not tell scammers that they are listed here - it will take them seconds to change their fake details and their new details will not be listed for any future victims to find.