Room for Rent and other rental scams
#377262 by Michelle Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:54 am
Craig Paulson <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello,

Thank you for your message!
I'm sorry for my delayed answer, but I'm in the United Kingdom right now and I've been busy working on a new project.
I went with my work for a 7-year contract in London so I'm in need of a good and responsible tenant who can move into my property and take care and maintain it in my absence.
The property is in excellent condition, no need for any additional repairs. Here are some pictures, just to refresh your memory: https://postimg.cc/gallery/3ees6ul7y/
It consists of living room, 1 bedroom, 1 bathrooms and a fully equipped kitchen, summing up 690 sqft.
The rent is $1000 per month including all utilities (gas, heat, water, electricity, trash removal, Cable TV and High Speed internet). The security deposit is $1000 and is refundable if there is no damage or loss at the end of the lease. I have no problem if you have pets, as long as you clean up after them.
If you're still interested in renting out the place, let me know when you would be available for a viewing and share some info about yourself (photos, credit score, job, lifestyle or whatever you think makes you a good tenant).

Also, in the meantime, please confirm the following:
· How many people would be living at the property?
· When would you like to move in? (exact date)
· What term/length lease would you like?
· When are your most suitable times/days to view the property?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Craig Paulson <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. You would be leasing the place directly from me and it's unfurnished at the moment. The ad was taken down because I kept getting a lot of requests and I really don't want to deal with so many people.
I'm very pleased to have you rent out my apartment, but like I mentioned, I'm currently in the UK and I can't travel and meet with every potential tenant.
Last week I actually came there to meet with some potential tenants but nobody showed up for the meetings; and I think you can imagine that it is not very comfortable to fly from Europe to the US and back, especially when work commitments are made, so if you are interested, I can arrange the rental process through Airbnb, an international company that mainly deals with renting apartments. We can organize the inspection through them and they would also assist us in managing the payment and the rental contract.

To open the reservation through Airbnb, I'll need your contact information (name, address, phone number). You will receive an email from them with all the rental information along with payment instructions to secure the apartment. In order to arrange the inspection, Airbnb requires a downpayment that consists of the first month of rent and the security deposit. After you've sent the deposit to Airbnb, you'll be contacted by one of their representatives to agree on a suitable date and time to view the property and also will help you with the lease papers. The payment is a simple formality and by paying you are not obliged to rent the apartment, as Airbnb just needs to have a confirmation that you have the funds available if you decide to rent the property. They will hold the funds until you inspect the property, so both parties are fully protected. They will transfer the payment to my account after getting confirmation that you will rent the apartment.
Please note, after inspection if you do not like the apartment and refuse to rent it, Airbnb will refund you the full payment within 24h.
In case you're tied up in another contract and cannot move in immediately, we can arrange the viewing now, and reserve the apartment for the date you want to move-in.

Regards,
Craig

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice -- Make no mistake, the Invoice will be fake !
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.

Advertisement