Room for Rent and other rental scams
#381548 by Mike Wilson Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:08 pm
Date: Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 1:12 AM
Subject: Re: Rental inquiry for 1br/1ba on 801 Franklin St, Oakland

Hello again Hassani,
Everything sounds great. Unfortunately I don't think I can return on dry land until the end of March due to my job so I can't meet you face to face until then. But I have a solution.
Here it is:
I am going to list the apartment on HomeAway or Airbnb, (you choose which one you prefer or the one you're more familiar, both are multi-billion rental companies like google or amazon) you reserve the place and you can live there at no charge until I come back from the oil rig. This way you'll have like a trial period until the actual rent starts so you can familiarize with the neighborhood, the apartment, the amenities. I think is only fair to have this period before you jump into a large period commitment.
They will only require a $1000.00 security deposit to cover any potential damage cost or if the apartment will not be vandalized or something. This security deposit will be fully refunded the same day the trial period ends.
Once you confirm the reservation I will mail you the key with FedEx at your current address. Then I'll sort my trip and we can have the rental agreement signed and all. If by any reason after the trial period will end you decide not to go ahead with the rent, just let me know so I don't have to make this long trip.
To be honest, the trial period helps me a lot too. I get to see how you maintain the apartment and I have the certainty that I don't make the trip just to show you the apartment.

If you're aboard, just let me know if you prefer Airbnb or HomeAway, send me your full name, rental period and a copy of your ID (front and back) or Passport so I can activate the listing and send you the rental offer.

I will attach the photos and description of the apartment to this email. Please be sure to add my email to your contact list, last time I got an error when attaching the photos.

Best Regards,
Casey James Joseph
(IADC Certified Engineer)

It is ALWAYS a scam
If the pet seller or shipper asks for money to be sent via Western Union, Money Gram, any brand of gift card. Walmart To Walmart , Zelle , PayPal friends and family option, or mentions Cameroon
Advertisement