Room for Rent and other rental scams
#386845 by Michelle Tue May 28, 2019 1:40 pm
ghopp <[email protected]>

Hallo. Entschuldigung, dass Sie auf Ihre Anfrage nicht antworten können.
Ja, die Wohnung ist noch verfügbar. Die Miete beträgt 1100 Euro pro
Monat und es befindet sich in: Bornheimer Landstrasse 32 60316 Frankfurt
am Main Nordend-Ost
3 Zimmer- Wohnung (78 qm mit Südseite-Balkon) an, zum sofortigen
Losleben im Frankfurter Nordend. Die Wohnung liegt im 4. Obergeschoss
eines kernsanierten Altbaus. Es gibt zwei Schlafzimmer von 16 qm und 14
qm mit Bett, Schrank und Kommoden, Sessel, Spiegel etc... Das grosse
Wohnzimmer, 25qm mit 2 Fenstern, ist gemütlich eingerichtet: ein
weisser, runder Esstisch aus Holz mit weissen Lederstühlen, 2 Sofas,
Fernseher und Regalelementen. Die Wohnung ist mit hellem Holzparkett
ausgelegt.
Wir sind aus Schweden, meine Frau ist der rechtmäßige Eigentümer und wir
freuen uns, wenn Sie auf Englisch antworten können. Kein Jobcenter. Wann
möchten Sie einziehen? Wir werden mit mehr Details und Bildern antworten.
Danke, Gustav Hopp

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice or notification -- Make no mistake, the document will be fake !
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice or notification, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities.

Advertisement

#387066 by Michelle Thu May 30, 2019 3:56 pm
ghopp <[email protected]>

My wife is the legal owner of the apartment, so the contract will be done directly with the owner without any extra fees or intermediary parties and can be rented for any period, city registration (Anmeldung) is also possible. In my opinion the apartment location nice and safe with shops and everything you need within walking distance. The monthly rent includes electricity, heat and water. Wifi and TV are paid by the renter, parking is also available by request. If you prefer to use your own furniture there is a storage unit where I can deposit my furniture before you move in. If you do not plan to move immediately (you have a notice at your current apartment), I will reserve the apartment for you, with the condition to meet and sign a contract. The apartment was bought for our daughter, she lived in the apartment until the end of January when she moved in United States with her job. We, my wife and I, live in Sweden, we are both over 60 and retired. We received several requests from persons who wanted to move in in August/September or were looking for someone else, so it's understandable that before we come to Germany to show you the apartment in person, we need to be sure that the any potential renter has the financial ability to cover the rent and utilities each month and has serious intentions. To do that I'm asking you to arrange a money transfer to YOUR name, as follows:

You find the closest Western Union office (Western Union is an international money transfer service) and ask a relative or friend to go to that location and transfer 760 EURO representing 1 months rent + kaution, from his name to yours using the service for friends and family called "money in minutes". After the transfer is done, you send me a copy of the Western Union receipt and Il verify the transfer online with the transfer code and the sender's / receiver's name. After that we set a date for our meeting/apartment inspection, I book a plane ticket and send you the copy.

Please note:
- By arranging a transfer from your relative/friend's name to yours, you are NOT agreeing to rent the apartment, this is NOT and advance payment of any sort, the money are sent to YOUR NAME, and ONLY YOU can withdraw money from the western union, with your ID. The contract will be signed ONLY after we meet and you inspect the apartment.
- Because recommendations, Schufa/Bank statements and locked accounts can not be verified online in real time (they are just copies that can be tampered with) I will NOT agree to set up meeting before I can verify the transfer as I described in this email, trough western union. If you are not familiar with the Western Union service, I can provide you with more information.

Please read this email in full and take the rental conditions in consideration, if you do not agree, I wish you good luck finding another apartment.
Thank you

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.