Room for Rent and other rental scams
#397690 by laser Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:48 pm
Posted on craigslist and other places this person is using the email [email protected] and pretending to be the broker of the same name—which they are not.

Had a place listed in Santa Monica: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/a ... 98359.html

Replied with:

Hello,

This is newly renovated and a fully furnished unit that comes with all modern amenities (Washer/Dryer, High Speed Internet, Assigned Parking. etc) and the lease length is flexible(short/long Term) and located @ #924 5th St, Santa Monica, CA 90403.

This Apartment features a Big Size Bed and a Lovely Bathroom, with a fully equipped kitchen that has a Gas Burners, Microwave, Dishwasher. This is a comfortable home that is extremely quiet and peaceful and all utilities are included.

Monthly rent: $2,000
Refundable Security Deposit: $2,000
Bedroom: 1
Bathroom: 1

One Bedroom Lease Plan
3 Months Lease attract 5% Discount
6 Months Lease attract 10% Discount
12 Months lease attract 20% Discount
Month to Month Lease attract no Discount

Note: The discount is only effective when you pay for the selected plan in full.

I would appreciate the following about you;

Full Name:
Sex:
Pet:
Your Exact Move in Date:
Present Location:

I apologize for being personal. But I need to have a little idea of whom is looking to rent my property.

Regards

----- Then made up some bs about a "wedding couple" stopping showings

Thanks for your prompt response. I'm ok with your provided details, Please be informed that the apartment is not available for immediate viewing until October 17th as the apartment is currently occupied by a newly wed couple and will be moving out on 15th of October and before they rented the apartment they requested for complete privacy which I granted.

But if the timing works and you do not want to miss out, due to the rush on this apartment you can have the apartment reserve for you until you view/move-in with the payment of the First Month Rent and in addition with the Refundable Security Deposit, and You will also be filling the lease contract form.

Note that after securing the apartment with the down payment and you happen to see the apartment or for any reason you don't like the apartment when you see it, Your funds will be refunded back to you in full.

Let me know if you wish to proceed with the lease contract review and reservation details for booking (Landlord's details).

----

Then they wanted upfront payment for the place and when asked to engage in a short video chat to confirm identity replied with:

I understand your point perfectly because there are alot of scammers on craigslist. But if you wish to do business with me, you'll have to trust me. I await your swift response if you wish to proceed before sending you the lease agreement form and the landlord account details for booking.

Thanks for your time
Advertisement