Room for Rent and other rental scams
#54282 by Con Warner Thu May 26, 2011 6:03 am
Date: 26 May 2011 11:11
To: Con Warner
Subject: RE: [HalloLondon.co.uk] Posting Enquiry

Hello,
The flat is still available for rent. The rent is £800 per month (for the whole flat) including all bills. I've moved to Berlin, Germany because I'm working in petrol research industry. You can rent the flat as long as you need to stay, even for 2 or 3 years. The first payment will be ensured for 2 months (£1600). If you still want it, let me know so we can arrange the transaction.
Thank you,
Helena

This person asks for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment either to him, a lawyer, your friend or a family member.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, this person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union or Moneygram with the promise that they will send the keys through a courier company.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Hello,
As I've told you in my previous email, I have a busy schedule and it's very hard for me to come in UK. I can't take the risk to leave my new job for couple of days and when I arrive in UK to find out that I came for nothing. I want to be 100% sure that when we'll meet, we might do the rent papers and return to london. For this reason I want to complete this deal in the safest way possible, for both.
You'll have to arrange the payment from your name and address to your best friend's name and address in UK, using western union Service, for 2 months rent, that means 1600 GBP and send me the scanned receipt. As soon as I see the scanned receipt as a proof that you've made the payment, I will fly to UK and you will see the flat and maybe rent it if you like. Meanwhile you can withdraw the funds from western union
All you have to do is to find a western union office, wire 1600 GBP to your friend and send me the scanned receipt. I am asking you this to be sure that I do not come in UK for nothing. Hope you can understand my situation.
P.S : As soon as I have the confirmation from western union that the money are available, I'll book a flight. I look forward to hearing from you!
Regards,

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement