Room for Rent and other rental scams
#56688 by avenuehebrew Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:26 am
He now goes by Gilles Naines, at [email protected]. His story is pretty thorough, too -- he gave me links to the real Gilles's blog and organization. Except the real guy's name is Naine, not Naines. Oops.

The apartment was listed on Craigslist here: http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/nfb/2456716986.html

$800 / 1br - Lovely One Bdr. Apt. in Prospect Heights (Prospect Place #3L, Brooklyn NY 11238)
Quite one-bedroom starter apartment in a pre-war elevator building, bordering Prospect Heights and Crown Heights. There is a laundry room in the building and a large common courtyard complete with seating area, barbecue grill, and common vegetable and flower garden. The building has its own parking lot, with a waiting list for parking spots and is close to Prospect Park, the Green Market on Grand Army Plaza, the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens, the Brooklyn Museum, great restaurants, and the 2,3,B,Q trains at the Eastern Pkwy/Bklyn Museum station for an easy commute to Manhattan.

His message to me:

The apartment at Prospect Park is still available for rent. But i want you to know that i am renting my apartment out at a low price because i am only interested in you taking great care of the apartment and not the financial aspect of it.

We serve in Africa under the auspices of the Navigators situated in Colorado. We serve here as missionaries. I want you to know that you can stay in the apartment as long as you would like to stay as we are not planning on moving back into the apartment because we would be relocating to our Home in Chicago, IL. But we would be checking up on you once in a while to ensure that the apartment is well taken cared of.

I know you would be weary to deal with someone who is overseas but i would be attaching links where you can read about me, my family and the work we are doing here. Also, if we come to a conclusion regarding renting the apartment to you, we would also arrange on how to get the Keys and House Documents to you so you can view the apartment before you sign any Document or Lease Agreement.

These are the links for the organization i represent and myself:

http://jbimc.blogspot.com/
http://www.navigators.org/us/

The address of my apartment is: 425 Prospect Place #3L, Brooklyn NY 11238

Rent Fees:

Rent Per Month: $800 (Including Utilities)
Security Deposit: $600 (Refundable)

APARTMENT FEATURES:

Large 1 Bdrm
1 Bath
Size: 1050 sqft
Large Living Room
High Ceilings
Stainless Steel Appliances
Formal Dining Room
Hardwood Floors
Internet and Cable
Brand New Cabinets, Electric Cooker, dish washer & Refrigerator
Washer, Heater and Dryer in the apartment

I would like you to fill the below details:

RENT APPLICATION FORM:
FIRST NAME:_________
MIDDLE NAME:_________________
LAST NAME:__________________
SEX:________________
PROFESSION:________________
MARITAL STATUS____________
TIME ON YOUR JOB:______
PHONE NUMBERS
(CELL)PHONE_____
(WORK)PHONE____
(HOME)PHONE_____
KIDS___ (YES/NO), HOW MANY_____
PRESENT ADDRESS:____
WHY ARE YOU LEAVING?
HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING?_______
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN?________
IF YOU HAVE A PET?_____-
DO YOU SMOKE?______________
DO YOU DRINK?_________
DO YOU WORK LATE NIGHTS____

After i have received these details above, i would discuss with my wife and let you know my terms and how we would conclude the Lease process and also send you the Keys to the apartment so that you can move into the apartment asap. Feel free to call me anytime on my cell phone number: +234-808-087-7058.

I hope to hear from you soonest.

God Bless.

Rev. Gilles Naines

Split post - Michelle
Advertisement

#56767 by roafam Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:56 pm
I ran into this too. Pretty impressive. I contacted the person who actually lists that property so hopefully she will deal with them. So obnoxious.
#57621 by mw3 Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:37 am
I ran into this scam, too. I knew this situation sounded too good to be true, but he really did have a thorough story. I am glad I did some research - he wanted me to send him 600 dollars over Western Union! But not in his name. I thought it was suspicious, even though he had seemed genuine to that point, but I did a Google Search and found this site. My other plan was to actually go to the building in question and ask the doorman and super about him. I'm now thinking of contacting the real Gilles (assuming that blog is real) just to warn him about this guy using his identity.