Room for Rent and other rental scams
#419350 by Michelle Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:19 am

Hello,

I just read your e-mail regarding my apartment located in : Wilhelm-Caspar-Wegely-Platz 9, 10623 Berlin. It has 2 bedrooms, bathroom and kitchen. I bought this apartment for my daughter during her studies in Germany, but now she's back home permanently, so I'm renting the place for unlimited time.
Before we go any further I would like to know a little something about you, like how many persons you intend to live in the apartment, and for how long. The flat is exactly like in the pictures, fully furnished and renovated. The rent is €550 per month with all utilties included(cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 1 parking spots). A security deposit of €1500 is required at the start of the lease and it will be refunded at the end of the contract (a 30 day notice is required).
You can use my furniture, or you can also use your own if you prefer. If you decide to use yours, you will have access to a very large and well ventilated cellar, where you can store my furniture.
Now, a little bit about myself so we can get to know each other better. My name is Daniel Opland and I'm a 58 years old structural engineer and I work for MWH Global Engineering. I worked hard to have a good career and I really respect hard earned money. The company I work for they have projects all around the world so most of my time I'm traveling.
I have a lovely wife, Maria and a 25 year old daughter, Irene. I am very proud to say that soon I'm going to be a grandfather :). Another member of our family is a 8 year old Labrador which we all love, so, I have no problem if you will keep pets.
I'm in Madrid/Spain now and I work for a new project here and the only inconvenience is that my job doesn't allow me to leave Madrid even for one single day. We just hired some new staff and I'm in charge of their training.
But this won't affect you at all. I can make arrangements to rent the apartment from Madrid (on my expense of course).

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

All the best from Spain!

Daniel Opland

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice or notification -- Make no mistake, the document will be fake !
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice or notification, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities

Advertisement

#419462 by Michelle Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:17 am
Daniel Opland <[email protected]>

Thank you for your quick reply.
At this moment I'm in Spain and can not be present to deal face to face because of the actual Cornonavirus situation. This won't affect you at all. I can make arrangements to rent the apartment through Airbnb( www.airbnb.com ) which is an international company dealing specifically in rentals apartments, I used it in the past and I was very pleased for their services. The reason I use Airbnb is because they are one of the most biggest rental company around the world and I really trust them. I believe that you know Airbnb. Using Airbnb involves three parties: me as owner, you as a potential tenant and Airbnb as a responsible third party authorized to proper conduct the transaction. Using Airbnb you can see the apartment before you sign the rental contract, so you can choose if you want to rent it or not. You will make the payment for the first month of rent plus security deposit using Airbnb payment platform.I will open a reservation on the Airbnb website and indicate you as my potential tenant. I would like to explain you all the steps of the transaction. You need to make the payment to Airbnb for the first month of rent plus security deposit. After you make the payment to Airbnb,an inspection time will be settled and you will receive the keys and rental contract in 3 days so you can inspect the apartment. You will be given a 3 days inspection period from the day you receive the keys and contract that you will only sign after you check the apartment.The first month of rent plus security deposit that you have to pay in advance is 100 % refundable if you do not agree with the apartment. After you’ll receive the keys and contract, you check the apartment and decide if you want to rent it or not. After the inspection you will contact Airbnb and tell your decision: take the apartment or not ! If you don't take the apartment they will refund your payment. Airbnb requests payment in advance to be sure that the client really has the intention of renting the property. This is the Airbnb policy. Please let me know if you accept Airbnb and provide me with the following details for your referencing application so that I can register the transaction with Airbnb and move forward:

Your phone number
Full name and address
Scan or photo of ID.

Kind Regards,
Daniel

This Scammer will arrange to send you an Invoice or notification -- Make no mistake, the document will be fake !
If you are reading this because you have received such an invoice or notification, kindly forward it to the address in my signature line and I will report the details to the appropriate authorities