Room for Rent and other rental scams
#64550 by tienou Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:04 am
and another one...

To:
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:17 AM
Subject: Re: $500 Bedroom+bathroom for rent in a house - big yard (Little Rock) Date: 2011-08-25, 5:28PM CDT Reply to:

"Thanks for getting back to me ... My name Ruth Evans (F),I am
24yrs old,I am fun loving, personal, friendly,clean, caring,and
respectful of others. a non-smoker, don't do drugs, i drink
occasionally,and drama free. I graduated last year in France, I am
single and have no children ... i do bible study, and sometimes we do
karaoke night with my roommate! i go to church every Sunday .
I am coming for my Masters degree. i am from USA,specifically
Hawaii, I was born in Honolulu in Hawaii,my dad is from there too but
my mum is from Spain...I went to Chaminade University of Honolulu in
Hawaii.
I speak both English and Spanish fluently ,am presently on research
work at Hawaii , and almost done with that bcos its part of my
prerequisite for my masters in Microbiology . I would have loved to
call you but
this is a remote area calls is hard to go through from here and i
don't want to waste much time .Am really interested in renting from
you or to be your roomie and i do really love pets but i don't have
any at the moment. I would have loved to see it but am very far,but
with pictures,I am glad.
I will also like you to tell me more about you and if you have garage
or parking space cos I will have my own car come over, pls let me know
the total payment of the place and more over I will send your email to
my dad for him to email you later bcos he is the one that will be
paying the bills but nevertheless,I will like you to send me your Full
Name and the Mailing Address, your Phone number as well,so that my Dad
will issue out the payment for the place as soon as possible,with that
you can hold on the place for me till i come . I will be looking
forward to your email soonest.

Thanks and have a nice day"
Advertisement

#65920 by tienou Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:41 am
From Ms. Eve Richards

To:
Sent: Wednesday, September 7, 2011 9:13 AM
Subject: (URGENTLY)....$500 Bedroom+bathroom for rent in a house - big yard (Little Rock)

Hello,
I'm so sorry for the late reply and I am so glad to read back from you. I am pleased to know that the room is still available for rent, I have checked the advert on craigslist again and I want you to know that the total move in cost (Rent/Deposit) is okay with me. could you send me the pictures via email, as I would like to see the place.
Please understand that I'll not be able to check out the place not till my arrival and Id like to make an informed decision.
I will like to share a little about myself.
Am a busy Lady that love to work and I earn a steady income. I am 28, I'm still single and searching, with no kids, I don't smoke but if my roommate is a smoker it wouldn't matter, I just take it as my fate. I drink occasionally, I like hardworking, honest, clean and responsible people and I dislike lazy, untidy and uncaring people. I love pets but I do not have one due to the nature of my busy schedule. I like the outdoors and I'm a good swimmer and sometimes play tennis. I'm financially secure, time conscious and see myself as a miss independent who pays her bills on time. I'm quiet and easy with myself and willing to share the house chores as a prospective tenant. I am a great cook and baker (love to do both) I believe this about surmise's what you need to know about me?
I'm currently in Texas and am planing to relocate with my business. I'm a Registered Occupational Therapist and I sell plates, screws, bone graft substitutes etc for facial fractures and other cases. I also deal with ENT, Plastics, Neuron, and even Cardiographs surgeons on a daily basis that need my products for surgeries, and I've also worked with nurses in the UN on a project that includes heart related diseases in children in the past, So I love what I do. I'm very happy that I got to view the advert, and I will appreciate only if I'm able to secure the spot,
Moreover, I will like to know more about YOU and the neighborhood, is street parking allowed or paid for because I will be coming over with my car. Will there be enough room for my bed-room furniture? I will also like to know if you have vacuum cleaner, laundry machine, dryer and refrigerator? If not can I come with mine as it makes my life easier. If there wont be enough room for them, I will have to rent a storage unit then later put them on sale, just let me know what you think?
I will like to know; if I can secure the place down by sending you a deposit to hold the place prior to my arrival? If yes, Can I send you a Cashiers check from my Bank? . I don't know if the mode of payment will be acceptable to you because that's the only way I can transact. If it is, could you kindly include in your next mail the following information and all other requested details about the room:

1. Payee name (Your Full name to be written on the check)
2. Payee Home contact Address (Physical address with the Zip Code)
3. Your phone number.

How long/short is the lease period? I would love to rent the place for 6 months or more depending on what you are comfortable with, just let me know ahead of time. I'll be busy with work preparing for a journey to RSA for a seminar but I will like you to get back to me as soon as you can so that I can make preparations for the deposit fee to be sent out to you before I leave. I will be arriving once the seminar is over by the 25th of September and have my lease start to run from that date.
hope to hear or read from you soon...
You can best reach me on 281-971-8920 and if am not available you can email me and I will get back to you immediately.

Respectfully,
Ms. Eve Richards..
#66592 by slpk Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:20 am
Thanks to this list <!!!>, I didn't respond to this email from Mary Dean ([email protected]):

Hi.
Hope the room is still available for rent?....i will be glad if you
can send me pics and details of the place including time frame when it
will be available.
Mary dean
#66594 by Katharina Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:48 am
Great news, slpk! :=)
Another targeted person safe, and the scammer once more thwarted. :D
#67827 by tienou Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:10 pm
gggggggrrrrrrrr :evil:
it continues......

Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:00 AM
To:
Subject: Re: I need a place to live

Hi,

Thank you very much for the response to my ad on craigslist but before we move forward,i will like you to know the full information about me. I was born and raised in Wyoming,i am quiet and easy going person to live with. I'm 27 years of age, I am extremely clean,quiet and respectful, I am sensitive, intelligent and am easy to get on with. ..I am a faithful and committed person, who is very considerate of other people's feelings. I don't drug and i dont smoke or drink.. I enjoy going out with my friends to movies, plays, parks, hikes, anything to do with the ocean and horses but i'm cool living with people.

Right now, am working for a Non Government Organization on a program on children with orphans and heart related probs.My next program/seminars will be in your town and I will need a room to stay for these seminars, so I want to secure a room before my arrival.

I must confess that i'm comfortable with the area of the house/apt and i am ready to pay for the room. I will like to make the payment for the first month ahead of my arrival, and then i will make subsequent payment thereafter as i plan to stay for 6-12months.I have told my boss about this and he promised to make sure that he will meet up with the payment so that I can depart from here as scheduled.He also said I will have the advantage to make payment for deposit .I should arrive to your place on or before the 15th of October, so pls keep room for me till my arrival.He also said my mode of payment will be the Most acceptable,safer and reliable means of payment which is United state certified money order,so get back to me with your name and address so that i can send you the payment as early as possible.

Kindest Regards,
Sarah.

They all have approximately the same story... It makes them easy to catch but it's pretty boring... I hate them and the worst is that some people are still falling into their trap
#79552 by tlod Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:39 pm
I am very glad I found this site. I was approached by someone using the email [email protected]

Thanks for getting back to me... My name is Rebecca Jones (F),I am 25yrs
old,I am fun loving, personal, friendly,clean and respectful of
others. A non-smoker, don't do drugs, i drink occasionally,and drama
free. I graduated last year in France. I am single and have no
children... I do bible study, and sometimes we do karaoke night with
my roommate! i go to church every Sunday.

Am coming for my masters degree. I was born in France (Bordeaux),
my dad is from USA but my mum is from Paris...I went to University of
Bordeaux in France i speak both French and English ,am presently on
research work at Guam (USA), am almost done with the research. Am
doing it because its part of prerequisite for my masters in
Microbiology. I would have loved to call you but this is a remote area
calls is hard to go through from here and i don't want to waste much time.

Am really interested in renting from you and i don't really love
pets but i don't care if there is any in the house. I would have loved
to see it but am very far,but with pictures,I am glad. I will also
like you to tell me more about you and if you have garage or parking
space because I will have my own car come over, please let me know the
total payment of the place and more over I will send your email to my
dad for him to email you later because he is the one that will be
paying the bills but nevertheless,I will like you to send me your full
Name and the mailing address, your phone number as well,so that my Dad
will issue out the payment for the place as soon as possible,with
that you can hold on the place for me till i come. I will be looking
forward to your email soonest. Thanks and have a nice day.

Thanks

While some of the details have changed, it appears the M.O. is still the same.
#88086 by historybuff Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:24 pm
I got this one this morning:

Hello,
I am happy you responded to my email and I look forward to coming over
to Canada alone from the Spain by March 10th, but I'll be resuming work officially on the 28th of April.
My employer will be sending you payment for the first month and/or deposit.
Also my shipper will be shipping my Honda 2010 model and other
Personal effects before I move into your place. I won’t be bringing much
over as I intend to buy most afresh there. But my PC will be coming
with me surely & other personal belongings. If this is OK with you,
kindly mail me back your name to make out the payment in & your
address to have it sent to.
I will be off to see my sick mum in the hospital who is due for surgery soon.
In case you want to get to me my number is
+447024079688 and Skye i.d charl022
I look forward to your response.
Yours Sincerely
Charles

I had two others last week, all saying the same as what others are posting here. Boy! Renting out a room is like navigating a mine field! Thanks to everyone who has posted here. It's a big help.
#88771 by tienou Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:14 pm
other ones to add on the black list!!!

*ANDRE PEKINS <[email protected]>

To:
Sent: Monday, March 5, 2012 12:09 PM
Subject: Re: SANYO 32'' TV in perfect working condition lowered price - $60 (LITTLE ROCK)
Hi,
Thanks for the response.I am willing to pay your asking price.I will pay you with money order as its the only way i can pay you at the moment due to the fact that i am away for a family emergency.I will make arrangement for the pick-up after payment have been received by you. I dont mind adding an extra $20 just for you to keep it in my favor.Reply with your full name and address where payment should be sent,and a phone number where i can reach you.Please take the posting off craigslist today and consider it sold to me.
Expecting to hear from you soon.

Regards,

*anderson norris <[email protected]>
#91069 by tienou Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:58 am
another one to add to the list...

To:
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:30 AM
Subject: Re: $550 ROOM NEEDED
Hello,
My name is Ha Thi Minh Le and am extremely interested about the place for rent
am sorry for the late respond. Please if you don't mind I will like to have answers to the following questions below:
i) I will like to have the description of the Place, size, and the equipments in there
ii) I will like to have the rent fee per month plus the utilities
iii) I will also be coming with some of my furniture,that is if it is allowed,like bed,book shelf and shoe's rank etc
iv) Also I will like to know if there is any garage or parking space cos I will have my own car come over
v) I will also like to know if I can make an advance payment ahead my arrival that will be as a kind of commitment that I am truly coming over and for you to secure the room for me
vi) If the #5 questions is YES, I will like to know the total cost for the initial move as in first month rent and if you accept deposit
vii) I will like to know the major intersection nearest to your neighborhood. Like shopping mall, bus line e.t.c
LASTLY:I will like to know more about you and also I will like to have your pics as for me to know how you look like.
Here is all I can say about my self for now:
I am 28 years old and I work full time,Monday through Friday and have weekends off except for once a month.I'm from Vietnam,I stay in Bloomington IN USA and i need to relocate but am presently in Malaysia on a business trip.
Am a female,I am a professional, A Computer Consultant and I deal in various kinds of computer applications and soft wares.I
graduated from University of Malaysia 4 years ago and I have my B.Sc. in Computer Science... I am not really a sports person,But I
do love Hockey Games, I am a very out going person and fun to be with. I do play the Organ and piano, and i have both piano and
Organ there at my house. I am not a drinker and I don't smoke and I don't do drugs. I would like to go out with you on weekends
and weeknights when I am free. I like going to movies, concerts, plays, I like camping, hiking, bike ridding, swimming, and I love
to travel.
I am a very dedicated individual who is totally committed to human development, friendly, very trustworthy and value relationship.I am a laid back person, I love traveling, sporting and Enjoy meeting people around the world. I am an easy going person and look forward to meet kind hearted, loving and caring person that is very responsible and understanding, someone i can really get along with.I will take my time to get you one of my pics in my next mail for you to know how I look like, I am sure you will like me.
I will be moving back to the States fully to live for the rest of my life and start Another space of my own business as a Computer
Consultant.I will be staying in your Place as long as the lease is drawn
I should be arriving to the State before ending of next month.I need answers to my 8 questions above as soon as possible so as to
arrange for you to get the money prior for my arrival to retain and consider the room is mine..I will be making this advance
payment ahead of my arrival so that you can be rest assured that this is real since I am not in the state presently.If you think I
will be a good applicant to you and you are interested in renting the place to me
Thanks and have a good time.
Best Regards,
Minh Le
#91398 by k10leigh Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:57 pm
tienou wrote:and another one...

To:
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:17 AM
Subject: Re: $500 Bedroom+bathroom for rent in a house - big yard (Little Rock) Date: 2011-08-25, 5:28PM CDT Reply to:

"Thanks for getting back to me ... My name Ruth Evans (F),I am
24yrs old,I am fun loving, personal, friendly,clean, caring,and
respectful of others. a non-smoker, don't do drugs, i drink
occasionally,and drama free. I graduated last year in France, I am
single and have no children ... i do bible study, and sometimes we do
karaoke night with my roommate! i go to church every Sunday .
I am coming for my Masters degree. i am from USA,specifically
Hawaii, I was born in Honolulu in Hawaii,my dad is from there too but
my mum is from Spain...I went to Chaminade University of Honolulu in
Hawaii.
I speak both English and Spanish fluently ,am presently on research
work at Hawaii , and almost done with that bcos its part of my
prerequisite for my masters in Microbiology . I would have loved to
call you but
this is a remote area calls is hard to go through from here and i
don't want to waste much time .Am really interested in renting from
you or to be your roomie and i do really love pets but i don't have
any at the moment. I would have loved to see it but am very far,but
with pictures,I am glad.
I will also like you to tell me more about you and if you have garage
or parking space cos I will have my own car come over, pls let me know
the total payment of the place and more over I will send your email to
my dad for him to email you later bcos he is the one that will be
paying the bills but nevertheless,I will like you to send me your Full
Name and the Mailing Address, your Phone number as well,so that my Dad
will issue out the payment for the place as soon as possible,with that
you can hold on the place for me till i come . I will be looking

Thanks and have a nice day"

I was suspicious when I received replies from this email in response to my listing for a roommate. I checked with several people and they said that it sounded fine. The email I received was almost identical to this one with the acception of a name change to "Joy Kris" and age. My email also initially came from "[email protected] and then after I replied came from this [email protected].
The second email I received said this ...
I will be paying you for April rent then you will help me pay the
apt manager this is the more reason why i asked my dad to make the
payment payable to your name. I will attach my flight itinerary in the
next email so that you can know the exact time and date i will arrive
next week ,Also i will like to know if you can pick me up at the air
port on my arrival because this is my first time of coming to the
state and i don't know anybody.As regards my furniture and my car,is
plan to have them delivered to the house before my arrival so that i
can settle in comfortably also i'm paying more and more for having my
items with the Company (demo rage),you can understand that transiting
cross Atlantic is not easy so i am making arrangement with the
furniture company to deliver some furniture and the car before my
arrival this week after you have gotten the rent and security deposit.
I will ask you for a favor here,can i rely on you to take delivery of
my furniture and the car for me when they are delivered.I will
instruct the furniture company to contact you to schedule a delivery
time that will be convenient for you to receive the items for me .As
you will be handling the delivery of the items with the rent and
deposit that will be sent to you so that you can help me to make the
payment when they are delivered.I will really appreciate if you can do
this for me and promise to compensate you adequately for your time
and efforts on my arrival in your place.

Thankfully I decided to google the email since "she" ignored my request for facebook and found this!!
#91790 by priya Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:32 pm
In response to my ad for subleasing a room on Craigslist, I received a whole lot of SCAM emails. The running theme across all these emails was that they were written in terrible English, dropped names of foreign places, outgoing names on emails were very generic and female, they asked NO relevant questions about the property or move in dates but insisted on "sending checks or making credit card transfers".
I am pasting below the email ids, names and body text for the benefit of everyone.

1) Eileen Stuart [email protected]
Thanks for your cordial response... My name is Eileen Stuart, I am
23yrs old and I am fun loving, personal, friendly,clean and
respectful of others. A non-smoker, don't do drugs, i drink
occasionally,and drama free. I graduated last year in France. I am
single and have no children... I do bible study, and sometimes we do
karaoke night with my roommate! i go to church every Sunday.

I'm coming for my masters degree on April 16th 2012 . I was born in
France (Bordeaux), my dad is from USA but my mum is from Paris...I
went to University of Bordeaux in France i speak both French and
English ,am presently on research work at Guam (USA), am almost done
with the research. Am doing it because its part of prerequisite for my
masters in Microbiology. I would have loved to call you but this is a
remote area calls is hard to go through from here and i don't want to
waste much time.

Eileen Stuart [email protected]
I'm really interested in renting from you and i don't really love
pets but i don't care if there is any in the house. I would have loved
to see it but am very far, but with pictures I am glad. I will also
like you to tell me more about you and if you have garage or parking
space because I will have my own car come over, please let me know the
total payment of the place and more over I will send your email to my
dad for him to email you later because he is the one that will be
paying the bills but nevertheless,I will like you to send me your full
Name and the mailing address, your phone number as well,so that my Dad
will issue out the payment for the place as soon as possible,with
that you can hold on the place for me till I come. I will be looking

2) Anne Gaelle Rico [email protected]
Hello,

Thanks for the response,am okay with the price and explanation.I'm very interested in the apartment. I'm coming to states for medical research.My moving in date is flexible

Little Details about me

Name:- Anne Gaelle Rico
Sex :- Female
Age;- 27
Citizenship:-France
Place of Birth:- France
Profession:-Medical Doctor
Religion:- Catholic
Marital Status:-Single
Cleanliness:- Very clean
Hobbies:-Movies,Reading,Soccer,Traveling.
Nature:-Great sense of humor,easy going and very out going.
Drinking/Drugs/Smoking:-Social Drinker,don't do drugs nor smoke.

For the payment that is not a problem at all. My boss will be responsible for all my payment all I have to do is to confirm the amount of the room including the utilities and then get it sent to him including the information of the person which the payment will be issued to. The payment will be made to you via credit credit transfer or cashier check. The credit card mode of payment is the faster way he can get the payment to you.So requested the following details to
receive the check:
FULL NAME:
FULL ADDRESS:
ZIPCODE:
CITY:
STATE:
PHONE:
EMAIL:

I'll forward it to my boss. My boss will be paying for the rent, my flight and some other things so all you have to do is, You will deduct your rent fee and the utilities from it and then get the rest back to my flight manager so that my ticket can be booked.

Looking forward to hearing from you. I will want all this information
for quick payment asap pls.

Thanks.

3) Mary dean [email protected] mary dean [email protected]

Thanks for getting back to me..My name is Mary Dean,24yrs old
female,clean and respectful.I have no pets and am not a smoker of any
kind don't do drugs, i drink occasionally,and drama free.I graduated
last year, I'm single and have no children...I do bible study and i go
to church every Sunday. I'm coming for my Masters degree.I'm from
USA,specifically Hawaii, I was born in Honolulu in Hawaii,my dad is
from there too but my mum is from Canada..I went to Chaminade
University of Honolulu in Hawaii.I'm presently on research work at
Hawaii,Almost done with that because its part of my prerequisite for
my masters in Microbiology. I would have loved to call you but my
phone was disconnected due moving out of state and i don't want to
waste much time .Am really interested in renting from you or to be
your roomie and i do really love pets but i don't have any at the
moment.I would have loved to see it but i'm very far,but with
pictures,I'm glad. I will also like you to tell me more about you and
if you have garage or parking space cos I will have my own car come
over, please let me know the total payment of the place and more over
I will send your email to my dad for him to email you later because he
is the one that will be paying the bills but nevertheless,Kindly get
back to me with your details as follows..
First Name:
Last Name:
Full address: Not P.O.BOX
City:
State:
Postal Code:
Phone Number: That i can send text message so that my Dad will issue
out the payment (Cashier Check) for the place as soon as possible,with
that you can hold on the place for me till I come.Thanks and have a
nice day.

Best Regards

4) lisa chase [email protected]
My name is lisa and I am looking to rent a place to live. I am a
young professional and will be needing to move ASAP. I am willing to
pay first and last months rent .I am very responsible and open to any
kind of lease. I am an Humanitarian worker and was posted on a new job
to your area.I will be glad if i could hear back from you sooner.
Thank You

5) [email protected]
Hi,

Hope you still have this specific Room available rent?..Let me know asap

Thanks

6) Eileen Stuart [email protected]
I'm looking for a room to rent or apartment to share with ???

7) Michelle Murray [email protected]
Hello,I will like to know if the room is still available for rent as i really need a place to rent so i will want you to get back to me with the room last asking price and some pics of the room if you still have the room available..

8) jordan jones [email protected]
I just want to know if the still available for rent?

9) Siophi Shepherd [email protected]
Hello,

Is this still available?

10) susan williams [email protected]
is the room still available..get back to me asap

Bust these scamsters!
#120648 by began steele Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:14 am
Thanks priya. Your posts are all scammers. As noted they all want to send money in advance.
You will deduct your rent fee and the utilities from it and then get the rest back to my flight manager so that my ticket can be booked.

In other words " I will send you an overpayment fake cheque to cash and when cleared you can send the extra back to me."
If you cash it, it will seem to clear in 3 days, because most banks do this by law or as a service to customers rather than holding money for months. Actually it takes several months for a cheque to pass through the clearance system and by the time you have sent the cash back, the cheque will bounce. The scammer will be long gone with your money and you will have to pay the bank back.
Why on earth should normal people trust a total stranger with money? You could just as easily run off with it. Of course for the scammer there is no money at all, it is invented. Regardless of what you are told along these lines it will, in the end, be a request to send back an "overpayment".

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. ~~ George Orwell.
#123643 by NY2010resident Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:14 pm
Hello!

Thank you setting up this wonderful resouce!

I received an email from someone interested in my rental from this email address " [email protected] " when I responded. The email didn't reply back to " [email protected] " but instead to " [email protected] ". When I did a search for " [email protected] " I came across this website. I now realize this scammer is using alternate email addresses that forward to the old scammer email address.

From now on I post my craigslist ads stating that a phone number must be included with any email inquiries otherwise a response won't be given. Notice how they've added the signature line "Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID" to make it look like a legitimate domestic reply.

Here's what they wrote :
Friday, September 7, 2012 2:30 PM
Room still available ??
Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID