Room for Rent and other rental scams
#163464 by TerranceBoyce Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:46 am
Szumi - the information you've given the scammer won't be of any use or interest to him as he's after quick cash and what you've given him won't provide him with any.

Not many scammers attempt identity theft and what you've supplied won't be any use to those that do. Bear in mind that a cheque shows your bank details together with a specimen of your signature and you wouldn't worry about issuing one of them. The scammers who work this type of fraud don't possess the skills or knowledge to get beyond basic banking security. If you spoke to the scammer on the phone you'd understand his problem, and that's one way to identify them. Rarely will a scammer provide his phone number, which will identify his real location, and let you hear his accent.

CAR ADVERTS - If a car seller mentions escrow - he's scamming you Never ever for any reason pay anything until you have seen and inspected the vehicle
Advertisement

#165190 by sleepydistrict Sun May 12, 2013 10:16 am
Got this reply for a place in Big Sky, MT. The problem is that I have friends that rent one of these places for real cheap, considering how nice they are. So it doesnt seem super unrealistic. But from the looks of it, it's not legit I guess.

Hello

Thanks for your interest and inquiries about my house. Yes the house is still available for rent and we are looking for a responsible person/family to occupy and maintain the house now that we are not around. My wife and i just traveled to West Africa for a program called FAMILY LIFE AND HIV EDUCATION AND THE HIV PREVENTION FOR RURAL YOUTH PROGRAM, the program is taking place in three major countries in Europe, Africa, UK . We will be away for 4 to 5 years or more that is why I have made up my mind to put up my house for rent to whom ever that will take good care of it.

Also how long do you intend to stay? How soon do you intend to move in?
FEATURES : Laundry, Electric Range, Electric Heat, Master Bedroom, Playground, Car Park.AMENITIES: Air Conditioning, Patio/Party Deck, Cable TV, Ceiling Fans, 24 hours Internet service, Dishwasher, Firepit, Garbage Disposal, Microwave, security alarm, Pets Friendly, Refrigerator, Washer / Dryer.

DETAILS ABOUT THE HOUSE..
Number of bedrooms: 2
Number of bathrooms: 1

Rental price: $700 per month and security Deposit is $700(Security Depositis Refundable)
Utilities included in monthly rent
Pets Welcome.
Below is the address to the house: 33 Heavy Runner Road Alpenglow 37d, Big Sky, MT 59716

********RENT APPLICATION FORM*********

PLEASE TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF
Full Name__________________________
Home phone_________________________
Cell Phone___________
Date of Birth_________________________________
Other Phone ( ) ___________________
Current Address_______________________________Apt#________
City__________________ State______ Zip________
Reasons for Leaving____________________________Rent $__________Phone ( ) ____________________________
Are you married____________________________
How many people will be living in the house____________________________
How many people will be living in the house____________________________
Do you have a pet____________________________
Do you have a car____________________________
Occupation____________________________
Move In Date____________________________
How soon do you have the deposit______________________

Regards
Dr Lawson Phillip
#165759 by MysticBlndMist Tue May 14, 2013 5:36 pm
Heres the one I received from a scammer earlier today, he has since sent several responses to my questions, each time trying to come up with something to cover his original lie

From

Michael Louise

To

Hello,
Thanks for your interest and inquiries about my home.Yes the property is still available for rent and we are looking for a responsible person/family to occupy and maintain the property now that we are not around.Myself and wife just traveled to West Africa for a programmed called FAMILY LIFE AND HIV EDUCATION AND THE HIV PREVENTION 4 RURAL YOUTH PROGRAM, the programmed is taking place in major countries in Europe and Africa which are UK, Spain,Germany,South Africa,Ghana.We will be away for 3 to 5 years or more that is why I have made up my mind to put up my property for rent to whom ever that will take good care of it.Also how long do you intend to stay? How soon do you intend to move in?
Here are details of the property:

FEATURES :
Laundry
Electric Range
Electric Heat

AMENITIES:
Air Conditioning
Patio/Party Deck
Cable TV
Ceiling Fans
24 hours Internet service
Dishwasher
Garbage Disposal
Microwave
Pets Allowed
Refrigerator
Washer / Dryer

Rent: $750 including utilities
Last Month Rent: $750

Please feel free to ask any questions you do not understand and i will be looking forward to receive your email as soon as possible.
I am not around to show the inside, you can go check out the property and the neighborhood from the outside and get back to me if you really like it for more information.
=========== RENT APPLICATION FORM ============
PRIVATE & CONFIDENTIAL

Please answer these questions below if you are Interested
1)Your Full Name_________________________
2)Present Address(where you reside now) & Phone ________________________
4)Are you married _ _____________________________
5)How many people will be living in the property _________________________
6)Do you have a pet__________________________ ___________
7)Do you have a car _______ _______________________ ____________
8)Occupation ____________ _________________
9)How long are you willing to stay _______ ____________________-
10)When do you intend to move in ___
11)How Many Month Rent Are You Willing To Pay ( First 1 month rent + Last Month Rent) or If You Pay ( First 2 month rent + Last Month Rent And Get 1 Month Free)...So which one do you prefer ? ________________

Here is my contact phone number +2348085072204

Hope to read from you as soon as possible. Thanks and GOD bless you

2nd e mail

From

Michael Louise

To

Hello,
Thanks very much for your reply and also i can see your willingness in this rent and how is work ?Hope great!!! So as i shall be giving you my property and you can move in when you are ready,pls again take care of the property also the rent is $750 which include all the utilities such as heat,electricity,cable, TV,phone,internet,hydro, washing and drying machine.I have also attached the interior pics.
However, if you are ready to rent the property now, then that will not be a problem but i will advice you due to a responsible like you, to be able to afford the monthly rent .Also i would like to send the following document to you via the DHL to the address you send to me and the tracking number will be sent to you so that you can possible occupy my property,Pls once again,i am giving you this on trust and do not disappointing me and i promise you that,you will love the property..Also the months rent will be send to me here through Western Union Money Transfer or Money Gram.

So i am with the below document here with me and i will like to know whether you are ready to make the payment now so that i can arrange on how the document will get to you in the next 48 hrs after the payment confirmation.

Here are the contents of the document..
1) Entrance and the rooms Keys
2)Paper/Permanent apartment form(Containing your reference details)
3)The property documentary file.
4)Payment Receipt.

So pls get back to me as soon as you can.. I await your reply ASAP
#166350 by 1341 Mon May 20, 2013 9:15 pm
I responded to an ad on Craigslist hoping to schedule an appointment to look at the house, and got the word for word response (more or less) that others had listed, including the whole:

"Thanks for your interest and inquiries about my house. Yes the house is still available for rent and we are looking for a responsible person/family to occupy and maintain the house now that we are not around. My wife and i just moved to West Africa Nigeria for a program called FAMILY LIFE AND HIV EDUCATION AND THE HIV PREVENTION FOR RURAL YOUTH PROGRAM, the program is taking place in three major countries in Europe, Africa, UK . We will be away for 5 to 6 years or more that is why I have made up my mind to put up my house for rent to whom ever that will take good care of it."

I searched for the program name, as it seemed a bit off (and all caps why?), and this thread is quite fortunately the first thing that popped up in Google. It was emailed from [email protected], and listed in the Portland, OR, USA Craigslist rental ads. It appears that the ad was already flagged for removal.
#167717 by JerClay Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:52 am
I came across this one this AM as well. One of the more creative ones, complete with pictures of the supposed owners and the English actually is good. No lines like; "I am gratifying of your interesting to my house." It's amazing the lengths to which some people will go to scam a couple hundred dollars. But then, a couple hundred goes a long way in Africa.
#168757 by amber.cramer Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:51 pm
Today is June 13th 2013, and it appears as if this scam is STILL actively going on! This is terrible! Same thing happened to me today exactly as described here! The initial ad and inital email response checked out ok, and then the 2nd email response was so poorly written, not written sounding american (the use of slang like

-"Kindly get back to me",
-"I must give you my house for rent"
-"reading through your mails I know you have a good heart" (I only sent one short one!)

So yes, sadly it was a scam! I am glad I found this post so I could add to it! This one was for Gypsum, Colorado, for $900 per month, 3 bedroom A-Frame cabin style. Anyhow, renters beware!
#168758 by Bryon Williams Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:14 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners amber.cramer,

I am happy to hear you avoided the scam attempt.

What email address and name did the scammer use with you.

Bryon

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

Please do not tell the scammer he is posted here.

Please remember the fallen. https://www.odmp.org/
#169451 by GretchenAR Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:57 pm
Today is June 21, 2013 yesterday I responded to a craigslist post in Baton Rouge. Today I received a reply, I didn't suspect anything at first but was curious as to what this Family Life and HIV Education was. Anyways, here is the response and email I received.
Hello

Thanks for your interest and inquiries about my house. Yes the house is still available for rent and we are looking for a responsible person/family to occupy and maintain the house now that we are not around. Myself and wife just traveled to West Africa for a program called FAMILY LIFE AND HIV EDUCATION AND THE HIV PREVENTION FOR RURAL YOUTH PROGRAM, the program is taking place in three major countries in Europe, Africa, UK . We will be away for 4 to 6 years or more that is why I have made up my mind to put up my house for rent to whom ever that will take good care of it.

Also how long do you intend to stay? How soon do you intend to move in? FEATURES : Laundry, Electric Range, Electric Heat, Master Bedroom, Playground, Car Park.AMENITIES: Air Conditioning, Patio/Party Deck, Cable TV, Ceiling Fans, 24 hours Internet service, Dishwasher, Firepit, Garbage Disposal, Microwave, security alarm, Pets Friendly, Refrigerator, Washer / Dryer.

Number of bedrooms:3
Number of bathrooms:2

Rental price: $700 per month and security Deposit is $500(Security Deposit is Refundable) Utilities included in monthly rent Pets Welcome.

Call us for more information : +2348121358743 or 0112348121358743

Below is the address to the house: 545 Hardwick Dr, Baton Rouge, LA 70815

1)Your Full Name______________________________
2)Your Full Address & Phone Number______________________________
3)Are you married?_________________________
4)How many people will be living in the house______________________________
5)Do you have a pet______________________________
6)Do you have a car______________________________
7)Occupation______________________________
8)When will you like to move in?_____________________________
9)How long are you willing to stay in the property________________
10)Picture of the occupant If Available____________________________
11)When are you ready to Move In?________________
12)How Many Months are you willing to rent?________________
13) How Soon Do You Have The Deposit?_____________

Looking forward to hear from you with all this details so that i can have it in my file in case of issuing the receipt for you and contacting you.Await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how to get the document and the key to you,please we are giving you all this base on trust and again i will want you to stick to your words,you know that,we do not see yet and only putting everything into Gods hand,so please do not let us down in this our property and God bless you more as you do this.

Regards,
Mark S Woodson

[email protected] (email reply came from!)

Thank goodness I didn't get my family involved with these guys! How sick is it that they have blasphemed God? I am really disgusting.
#169452 by Bryon Williams Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:04 pm
Hello and welcome to Scamwarners GretchenAR,

I happy to read that you and your family were not scammed this thief.

Thank you for posting the script and email address of the scammer. This information will help others avoid being scammed when they do an internet search.

Please contacta moferatorstor if you have a question or information about this post.

#169587 by mrohr Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:57 pm
This guy is back at it again. This time in Boston.

Here's the info he sent me.

-----------

Thanks for your interest and inquiries about my house. Yes the house is still available for rent and we are looking for a responsible person/family to occupy and maintain the house now that we are not around. My wife and i just moved to California USA for a program called FAMILY LIFE AND HIV EDUCATION AND THE HIV PREVENTION FOR RURAL YOUTH PROGRAM, the program is taking place in three major countries in Europe, Africa, UK . We will be there for 2 to 3 years or more that is why I have made up my mind to put up my house for rent to whom ever that will take good care of it.

Also how long do you intend to stay? How soon do you intend to move in?
FEATURES : Laundry, Electric Range, Electric Heat, Master Bedroom, Playground, Car Park.AMENITIES: Air Conditioning, Patio/Party Deck, Cable TV, Ceiling Fans, 24 hours Internet service, Dishwasher, Firepit, Garbage Disposal, Microwave, security alarm, Pets Friendly, Refrigerator, Washer / Dryer.

Number of bedrooms:1
Number of bathrooms:1

Rental price: $500 per month and security Deposit is $500(Security Deposit is Refundable) Utilities included in monthly rent
Pets Welcome.
Here is the address to the house: 1375 Commonwealth Ave# 12(-), Boston MA 02134

Get back to me so i can forward you the rental application form i would want you to fill out and also do get back to me asap with your picture as well so let me know whom i am renting my house to.

Contact me By texting (484) 784-9139. Because i will be very very busy at work....
Regards
Alexandra Creamer

----------

It's not a house I'm after... I'm after an apartment. There's no way this apartment would have some of the amenities he(she?) has listed. Besides "24 hour internet access?" This is Boston, not Ghana.... not to mention they put "laundry" and then "washer / dryer" in the same list, plus, most obviously, the email basically matches all of the others that people have been getting.

Allegedly, this person is going to meet me tomorrow to look at the apartment in person... so this should get real interesting real fast (dont worry, I am able to protect myself). :bondage:

I had another scam situation this weekend with basically the same premise, and a basic google search of their email address and telephone number led me here.

After seeing obvious red flags in their email, i google searched "FAMILY LIFE AND HIV EDUCATION AND THE HIV PREVENTION FOR RURAL YOUTH PROGRAM" and the first result was not a charity, but this thread...

Here was his reply when I said I was skeptical of the situation, and that I will be taking steps to protect myself throughout the process.....

---------
You sound skeptic from your email once , and that's very wrong, if you are thinking that I just wanted to take your money for nothing. When I known how people worked and earn their money, I will

never think of taking some advantages over you and your money cos i know how much i spent on my property, please take that out of your mind, that is really awful thing on the earth that I will

never think about doing. Just try to understand me better, I was not trying to lure you into this, everything about me and my house are 100% real OK, i will like you to know one thing i am a man of

God and i such much believe in his words and i wouldn't do such a thing when i have blood running through my vain..

---------

Why do all of these scammers feel the need to pull the jesus/god/bible verse card. If i were actually a christian/religious, I'd be pissed as shit. :laugh-s:

w/ emoticons, for your reading pleasure.
#169588 by Bryon Williams Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:11 pm
Hello and welcome to ScamWarners mrohr,

I am very happy you avoided his scam attempt. Could you post the email address the scammer used if any. They often change email addresses and some times it is not the same scammer. Scammer share their scripts with other scammers. By posting the email address with the script you are able to alert possible victims as they do internet searches.

#170784 by KweenB530 Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:53 pm
I just experienced the same thing, as of yesterday and thank god i looked into it because it is a scam. I actually got a phone number for one of the scammers, hes going by the name of Ryan P. Gaines. I am so happy i found this. What should I do with the number? This guy gave me wetern union info as well. and security questions as well. did any one expierece this too.?
#170785 by KweenB530 Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:55 pm
How are you doing today? I just want you to know that i can see your willingness in this rent,I and my wife have decided to give you our house due to your manner of approach and prompt attitude in getting things done.

We want to thank you for the interest you have shown toward renting our house and i pray and believe that our house will be a blessing to you as soon as you move in.

We are really grateful that finally someone will be renting our house, so we hope we are doing the right thing by trusting you with our property.

The Property rent is so low because we needed someone to move in and take good care of the house while we are away. We want it to come to your notice that we spent a lot on this property so one thing i can assure you is that you will never regret renting from us.

We have concluded on accepting payment of the security deposit of $500 to secure the house now and move in as soon as you are ready

The Payment will be needed as soon as possible so as to proceed with the arrangement of the keys and documents to be delivered at your current address, so i will urge you to verify the address where you want the package to be delivered so that there will be no mistake sending it to you

So hope you stick to your words, you will be making the payment via Western union or any grocery store near you. So get back to me with the nearest store location near you.

Here is the instruction you will be using to make the payment to us okay.

As soon as you have make your payment, I want you to email me back
with this required information.
(10digits MTCN Numbers)
(Sender's Full Name and Full Address)
(Address where you want the package to be delivered)
(Amount Sent?)

Thanks and God bless you,

Best Regards,
Ryan P Gates.

Hello

Thanks for your interest and inquiries about my house. Yes the house is still available for rent and we are looking for a responsible person/family to occupy and maintain the house now that we are not around. Myself and wife just traveled to West Africa for a program called FAMILY LIFE AND HIV EDUCATION AND THE HIV PREVENTION FOR RURAL YOUTH PROGRAM, the program is taking place in three major countries in Europe, Africa, UK . We will be away for 4 to 6 years or more that is why I have made up my mind to put up my house for rent to whom ever that will take good care of it.

Also how long do you intend to stay? How soon do you intend to move in? FEATURES : Laundry, Electric Range, Electric Heat, Master Bedroom, Playground, Car Park.AMENITIES: Air Conditioning, Patio/Party Deck, Cable TV, Ceiling Fans, 24 hours Internet service, Dishwasher, Firepit, Garbage Disposal, Microwave, security alarm, Pets Friendly, Refrigerator, Washer / Dryer.

Number of bedrooms:3
Number of bathrooms:2

Rental price: $800 per month and security Deposit is $500(Security Deposit is Refundable) Utilities included in monthly rent Pets Welcome.

Below is the address to the house: 1043 Thompson Cir Folsom, CA 95630

1)Your Full Name______________________________
2)Your Full Address & Phone Number______________________________
3)Are you married?_________________________
4)How many people will be living in the house______________________________
5)Do you have a pet______________________________
6)Do you have a car______________________________
7)Occupation______________________________
8)When will you like to move in?_____________________________
9)How long are you willing to stay in the property________________
10)Picture of the occupant If Available____________________________
11)When are you ready to Move In?________________
12)How Many Months are you willing to rent?________________
13) How Soon Do You Have The Deposit?_____________

Looking forward to hear from you with all this details so that i can have it in my file in case of issuing the receipt for you and contacting you.Await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how to get the document and the key to you,please we are giving you all this base on trust and again i will want you to stick to your words,you know that,we do not see yet and only putting everything into Gods hand,so please do not let us down in this our property and God bless you more as you do this.

Regards,
Ryan P Gates.
Last edited by Bryon Williams on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Added quotations.
#170786 by Bryon Williams Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:41 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners KweenB530,

Thank you for posting the scammers script. You can post the scammers phone number and email address here. This will help others avoid him if they search the internet with his phone number or email address.