Room for Rent and other rental scams
#74398 by Michelle Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:27 am

To: Michelle Banks
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2011 3:28 PM
Subject: Re: [HalloLondon.co.uk] Posting Enquiry

Thanks for the interest you have in my flat. My flat is still available for rent and you can stay in my flat as long as you pay your rent at when due. Here are the necessary things you need to know about the rent and deposit.Rent £380 pcm : £ 95pw and the Security Deposit: £ 600.00 (Returnable at the end of a week stay in my flat)Utility bills inclusive ( water, gas, council tax, TV license and wireless Internet) Utility Cost : £ 0.00 pcm.

However, At this stage that you want to rent my flat, i need to know some few question about you.Can you keep my flat clean and tidy? Do you have references in London?and do you have a contact number in which i can reach you?i will appreciate if you can get back to me with all this information. Kindly reply for further information and i will like to know where you are coming from to stay in my flat.

I look forward to reading from you. Have a wonderful week ahead of you.

Regards
Mr/Mrs Brenard

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#74400 by Michelle Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:38 am
Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2011 12:29 AM
Subject: RE:

Hello.

Thanks for the reply and the information provided.I and my lawyer have both agreed to make a reservation for you so you dont need to be worried as long as you have promise me that you will take proper good care of my flat just the way it is. However, my lawyer asked me not to collect any money from you as long as you have not sign a contract neither have i taken you round my flat so he decided to make a confirmation of your financial ability before we proceed with the reservation.

Henceforth, my lawyer and i have decided to carry out a simple test on financial ability to pay for my rent before coming for viewing. I would not ask you to send your bank statement. At least a month rent of £380 and security deposit which is £300 which is refundable after your 1st week stay in my flat, would be required from you to transfer through the western union. You can make the transfer with your family member or friend's name as a sender and your name as a receiver to an address in London and you can as well use my flat address.

Once you have done this, scan the receipt to me and if you do not have scanner, you may write out the details on the receipt as i will send it to my lawyer to verify if it's truly genuine and available in your custody, after verification, then we can proceed for the reservation and you can easily pick up the money at the nearest western union outlet when you arrive to London and also, i will refund back to you the cost of transfer when we meet.

I look forward to reading from you soon.

Regards
Mr/Mrs Brenard
+447024093708

#80743 by Michelle Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:12 pm
Change of telephone number:-
[email protected]

Hello.

Thanks for the reply and the sincere interest you have in my flat.My flat is fully furnished in and out and there is a garage and a off street parking in my flat,I and my husband have both agreed to have you in my flat.,it is unfortunate that my past bitter experience of inviting people to come and view my flat without any form of confirmation of their financial ability and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss to me. I have traveled all the way from Ireland to take some interested candidates round my flat because that's where i work.Some outside tenants do not have the money to pay the rent and yet they disturb the the landlord to arrange a viewing with their friend or relative who are in Dundee,also some do not meet up with the appointments which has led to the dismissal of some landlords in office by there employees.

Henceforth my lawyer and i have decided to carry out a simple test on financial ability to pay for my rent before coming for viewing or before making a reservation for any interested candidate. I would not ask you to send your bank statement neither your pay slip because it will be inappropriate for me to collect any money from you neither my lawyer. At least 2 weeks rent and security deposit which is £ 600 which is refundable after your first week stay in my flat, would be required from you to transfer through the money gram post office. You can make the transfer with your name as a sender name and your partner or friend in UK premises as a receiver.

Once you have done this, scan the receipt to me and if you do not have scanner, you may write out the details on the receipt as i will send it to my lawyer to verify if it's truly genuine and available in your friend's custody, after verification, then we can proceed for the viewing. Note that the transfer must be confirmed valid before the receiver picks up the money and also, i will refund back to you the cost of transfer when we meet.

I look forward to reading from you soon.

Regards
Mr/Mrs Brenard
+447024019278

#88275 by gothicchicklana Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:42 pm
hi i just thought that i let you know that ive been emailing emily brenard about a studio flat i found on this website :http://starflats.co.uk/one-room-flats-in-York-York-East.67742.html
she has been sending me the same kind of messages that you have received. thanks.
#100415 by Bubbles Mon May 07, 2012 12:29 am
Welcome to ScamWarners. the site: http://starflats.co.uk is legitimate. It is the scammers who are the problem. Thank you for posting additional information for others to find.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#107287 by Michelle Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:56 am
Recently seen writing from:-

ipTRACKERonline.com wrote:IP Address Quick Report
IP Address: 82.128.45.0
Organization: Multi-links Telecommunications Limited
City: Alimosho
Country of Origin: Nigeria
* For a complete report on this IP address goto ipTRACKERonline

#109982 by Michelle Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:26 pm
Sent: 22 June 2012 10:33:22

Hello and good morning to you.

I had just arrived to the office now and i thought it wise to get the photos of the flat sent to you just as promised and agreed yesterday. I sincerely appreciate your genuine interest you have for the flat so you have nothing to worry about as my husband and i are more than willing to have you in the flat so you can come stay and feel relax.

There is no problem if you well decide to get the deposit sent to me and then hand over keys to you on Tuesday and i have also discussed with my husband and spoken to my Lawyer about this and we all agreed to you but we would still prefer the transfer to be sent through the western union as this is a fast and easiest way to send and transfer money.

In getting the deposit sent through the western union there is an extra fee charged as the cost of the transfer and i have equally promised to return back to you the total cost of it without any deduction so you have nothing to worry about. At this stage, i will appreciate if you would get the transfer done today and get back to me with the scan copy of the transfer receipt to enable my Lawyer's confirmation to enable him prepare all necessary papers and document on the tenancy agreement and contract.

Here are the transfer details you would be needing in getting the transfer sent through the western union and the total amount that is needed to be transferred is £900 {1 month rent of £300 and the security deposit of £600}

1. Full name: Mrs Emily Brenard
2. Address:Mann Island, L3 1EN Liverpool

I will be looking forward to hear and receiving the scan copy of the transfer receipt from you as soon as you are able to get it done and kindly let me know of a convenient time to come for the flat on Tuesday so i can as well get my Lawyer duly informed in time.

Thanks for the sincerity and do have a wonderful weekend.

Regards
Mr/Mrs Brenard

#110555 by Michelle Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:39 am
Change of style:

Sent: 26 June 2012 15:45:55
To: Michelle Banks.

Thanks for the reply and the sincere interest you have in my flat. My flat is fully furnished in and out and there is a garage and a off street parking in my flat,I and my husband have both agreed to have you in my flat. There's no problem in inviting you for the viewing,I currently work and live in Ireland so I will need to take a day off from work in order to come down to arrange the viewing with you. It is unfortunate that my past bitter experience of inviting people to come and view my flat without any form of confirmation of their financial ability and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss to me, is either they cannot afford the rent or the security deposit required but want me to come down with the aim of renegotiating.

I have consulted my lawyer and we have resolved that any potential tenants should be able to prove in the following way in order to determine who is financially buoyant and that he or she can stick to appointment when scheduled and able to pay his/her rent as at when due. In this case, a bank-statement or gurantee from your organization wont be accepted as we have had wayward tenants tendering fake documents.

PROCEDURE:

1) Transfer the amount £920 (1 month rent and security deposit) to any of your family members or your friend via Western Union at the nearest Western Union outlet/shop close to you. You can ask any of them to make the transfer to you either.

Your Name (as Sender) to any of your family members or your friend (as Receiver) in Aberdeen or any of them make you the receiver.

2) Scan & Send a copy of the Western Union transaction receipt as a proof of the transaction or mail me the transaction details. (The money is safe as it is only you that can withdraw since you need a ID card or International passport)

3) Then, we will meet for viewing.

4) If you decide to take the flat, we will go to any local Western Union outlet close to the flat for you to pick up the money and pay me. (You don't need to come with cash to view, after viewing we will go together, you will cancel the transfer and withdraw the money to pay me).
5) Keys will be handed over to you after signing the contracts.

I do not want you to have the feeling that I am asking for money BEFORE you see what you are renting because I know that payment is meant to be done AFTER you have seen the Flat and okay with it that is why I said you should make the transfer to yourself so that you will be the one to receive the money and pay me in person after the viewing.

If you are ready ,you can go ahead and make the transfer and let me know immediately you do the transfer so that I can know how to squeeze out time to come and meet you.You will need to scan the copy of the transfer receipt and email it to me to confirm it online in order to know you have made the transfer and to let you know that I will return back to you the full transfer charges whether you decide to rent the flat or not when we meet.

Let me know if you are ok with this arrangement so that we can proceed.

Kind regards,
Mr/Mrs Brenard
+447024019278
Sent from my BlackBerry wireless device from MTN

#118349 by angel24 Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:11 am
my boyfriend was recently a victim of this person...they got away with 400pounds!! grrrrrr!!
my bf was in a hurry to find a flat to rent as he was moving right away and we didn't even bother to check before sending the money because as you all cans see, the e-mail that this person sent to us was very tempting and you wouldn't even think it's a scam! but yeah! they are scammers!!
you can't get away with that for the rest of your life people..
#118478 by Bubbles Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:04 am
Welcome to ScamWarners angel24. I am sorry to hear your bf was scammed. It is shameful what scammers do, though they have no shame. They do not care who or how much they hurt anyone.

I hope you and your bf will read around our forum and learn about the various kinds of scams which are on the internet and be better prepared to protect your selves.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#120109 by gazatiger Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:21 am
Thank god i checked out emily brenard on google
was going to rent in newcastle everything seemed ok till
i looked at the info
flat 300 pounds pcm and all bills inclusive
now that is too good to be true
recieved a email from mr/mrs brenard asking for me to send info
well the first thing i did was check out star flats
what a relief
this site is awsome keep up yhe good work and i shall spread the word about these scammers throighout tyneside
regards
Gazatiger
#121989 by kellbell Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:30 am
clocked on after her first email, these scammers are not very clever they all send the exact same emails! told her straight, she now thinks the police are tracking her ip adress as we speak aha
#122002 by Dotti Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:01 pm
"She" (really "he") isn't afraid of threats of the police. He has used fake names, fake locations, and is very possibly using an internet cafe shared by hundreds of other people. He is in a different country from his victims (and his fake listings) and he knows full well that the police in your country can't track him and show up on his doorstep (even if he is not using a cafe, you can't get a name and location without going through the ISP, which requires a warrant.) The police in his area aren't going to track him without the governments of multiple countries getting involved. Part of the reason this scamming is so popular is because the scammers know that their risks of being caught and imprisoned are not very high, unless they manage to get a LOT of money.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.