Room for Rent and other rental scams
#135841 by raf_owc Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:36 am
Thanks a lot for this info. That Nigerian scumbag 'Emily' has just contacted me.. good to know that its a scam! Beware of all those 'to good to be true' offers. No serious landlord or an agency would ask for money without showing you the apartment first!
Advertisement

#136005 by Bubbles Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:20 pm
Welcome to ScamWarners raf_owc I am glad the information here was helpful to you. Real landlords do not ask for payment by Western Union or any other money transfer service. The problem with that is once you send the money and it is picked up, you cannot do anything to get it back.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#160205 by Seahorse Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:21 pm
I have just emailed this ''Emily Brenard'' who was advertising a flat on starflats.co.uk on 19 Norton St Liverpool which doesn't exist. Should have known the rent was too good to be true, anyway thanks to your site I know it to be a fake. They've just emailed me back after I emailed enquiring about their flat. Needless to say, I shall not be replying, nor sending any money to Western Union like they're asking.

Thanks again guys!
#160552 by Michelle Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:34 am
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 21:51:18 +0100
To: Michelle Banks
Subject: RE: Request for your Offer at Starflats.co.uk

Hello,

Thank you reply to the advert placed, I'm happy to inform you that the place is still available for rent and you are the first person to contact me about it. I really need to know how soon you want to move in also am sorry because we wouldn't be conducting a viewing but you can easily move into the flat. I'm a missionary but I got transferred to Africa to serve God and humanity. I work with SOS Children's Village here in Africa . I have no choice than to relocate and this is the reason why I want to rent out the units to someone who is going to take care of the place as if they own it also age isn't a barrier. The apartment is available for short and long time term lease is also accepted.

The rent includes all utilities and close to all amenities. I was advised to rent out the place because there is no one leaving there right now. The place is available for immediate move in.

INCLUDED IN THE RENT: Cable , Kitchen completely equipped, Kettle - Toaster - Dishwasher - Freezer - Microwave - Oven - Dryer - Heat - Water - Washing Machine and Electric.

I want you to provide the following information to fill the rent application form and other documents, such as; rental agreement, rent receipts etc.

RENTAL APPLICATION FORM

Full name:
Profession:
Present Address of the applicants:
Zip code:
Reasons for Leaving:
How long do you intend staying:
Do you drink:
Ph Cell & Home:
Email:
Single Or Married:
Children:
Pet: If any ():
Date of Tenancy:

I ...............................................CERTIFY that answers given herein are true and complete to the best of my knowledge. I authorize investigation of all statements contained in this application for tenant screening as may be necessary in arriving at a tenant decision. I understand that the landlord may terminate any rental agreement entered into for any misrepresentation made above.

I want you to make sure the present address is not mistaken because that's where the keys and documents will be ship to. The contents of the shipment you will be expecting are:

1. Bunch of keys to the property.

2. Documents containing the lease agreement and property description , including the property address.

3. Rent receipts and damage deposit receipts.

I want you to email me once you fill the rent application form, the shipment of the package containing the keys and other documents will be ship by secure courier service once the deposit payment is paid.

Also, there is not a need for the viewing as you well know its tasking for me to come all the way from Africa to show you round the flat which is now inapproriate but you certainly have nothing to worry about.

The deposit of £500 should be transfer via the western union and as soon as this is done you would get back to with the scan copy of the transfer receipt. as soon as its verified and authenticated, will make immediate arrangement for the keys and document sent to your address.

Kindly let me know of your opinion to enable us proceed and also i can send you the details for the transfer.

Kind regards
Mr/Mrs Brenard

#173105 by Hirork Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:21 pm
I responded to this property listing by this person in Aberdeen http://www.citylets.co.uk/property-rent ... 24-297581/ via email, note the phone number being used 07523945094

I was however suspicious from the get go because I have experience renting in this market. However I proceeded thinking maybe it was an error and it'd be corrected in the response. This is what I got back:

emily brenard <[email protected]>

9:16 PM (3 hours ago)

to me
Thanks for the interest you have in my flat. The flat is still available for rent and you can stay in my flat as long as you pay your rent at when due. Here are the necessary things you need to know about the rent and deposit. Rent per calender month is £310 { includes all bills : water, gas, council tax, TV license and wireless Internet} also Security deposit of £600 And it is protected by the Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme(http://www.depositprotection.com/){Refundable after four weeks in the flat}.

However, At this stage that you want to rent my flat, i need to know some few question about you.Can you keep my flat clean and tidy? Do you have references in Aberdeen and do you have a landline number in which i can reach you?i will appreciate if you can get back to me with all this information. Kindly reply for further information and i will like to know where you are coming from to stay in my flat

Regards
Mr/Mrs Brenard

notice the extra L in emily in the email address (thankfully google still lead me here with it).

Initially I thought it seemed legit, but had that niggling feeling something wasn't right so re-read it a few times, now the use of English instantly throws me because it feels souless and there are a few errors in its use. Though minor ones I tend to expect landlords to proof read and catch most of them although I'd never make such a judgement on those alone. Secondly no landlord pays your council tax for you, it just isn't done and I've never heard anyone having their TV licensing included in their rent. Thirdly now his is the big one, the Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme only applies in England/Wales, Scotland has its own scheme with a different website. I tried IP tracing them with the email header but they've figured out a way to disguise themselves with a Microsoft IP address registered in Kansas, USA.

I'd like to thank everyone here for confirming my suspicions, although I wasn't planning on going ahead once I'd de-constructed the email.
#190327 by Giatitta Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:34 pm
raf_owc wrote:Thanks a lot for this info. That Nigerian scumbag 'Emily' has just contacted me.. good to know that its a scam! Beware of all those 'to good to be true' offers. No serious landlord or an agency would ask for money without showing you the apartment first!

[email protected]
#262778 by Michelle Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:23 am
Date: 4 August 2015 20:04:39 BST
To: Michelle Banks
Subject: RE: Double Bedroom Flat

Thanks for the interest you have in my flat. The flat is still available for rent and you can stay in my flat as long as you pay your rent at when due. Here are the necessary things you need to know about the rent and deposit. Rent per calender month is £400 { includes all bills : water, gas, council tax, TV license and wireless Internet} also Security deposit of £800 And it is protected by the Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme(http://www.depositprotection.com/){Refundable after four weeks in the flat}.

However, At this stage that you want to rent my flat, i need to know some few question about you.Can you keep my flat clean and tidy? Do you have references in Oxford and do you have a landline number in which i can reach you?i will appreciate if you can get back to me with all this information. Kindly reply for further information and i will like to know where you are coming from to stay in my flat

Regards
Mr/Mrs Brenard

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram, pre-paid credit card or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.