The FBI has issued a new warning on online rental scams, it warns about the scam and about the potential for identity theft.
How to avoid being victimized:
* Only deal with landlords or renters who are local;
* Be suspicious if you’re asked to only use a wire transfer service;
* Beware of e-mail correspondence from the “landlord” that’s written in poor or broken English;
* Research the average rental rates in that area and be suspicious if the rate is significantly lower;
* Don’t give out personal information, like social security, bank account, or credit card numbers.