Room for Rent and other rental scams
#108150 by Con Warner Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:12 pm
Date: Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:11
Subject: Re: RECENTLY RENOVATED 1 BEDROOM CONDO PREMIUM LOCATION $650 1bd
To: Con Warner

Hello,

I apologize for not responding to you earlier, I have been extremely busy the last few days!

The good news is that the rental is still available! We thougth we had the place rented to a couple we showed it to last week, but now it seems that they changed their mind, so we need to lease it as soon as possible. You were the second one to email me about it.

I am sure you will want to do a walk through of the property, but my husband doesn't want me to advertise the address as a measure of safety. Last time we did that without verifying people, the empty property was broken into and vandalized. We don't want that to happen again! You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone, if you decide to have these services. Just to confirm, we DO allow pets at this property.

The rental term is 12-month lease, but can be switched into a 6-month lease if preferred. We just ask that you give us fair notice if you are moving out.

If you would like to set up an appointment, go to the link below and request the free copy of your rental report. We use this site for all the properties we manage. Just fill out the form and indicate that you want the free report. The actual scores aren't important to us, it's more of a formality to have it on file, to make sure there are no previous property related issues.

Get your report here: FREE REPORT

Remember, we only need to see the page about the rental history. That will be all you will need to bring with you to the showing.

The link that you are asked to click is an advertising site that pays the scammer a small amount for your custom.
After visiting the site and replying to this person, the scam begins.

This person then asks for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment either to him, your friend or a family member.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, this person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union or Moneygram with the promise that they will send the keys through a courier company.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement