Room for Rent and other rental scams
#112110 by Michelle Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:55 am
To: Michelle Banks
Date: 07/07/2012 07:50 AM
Subject: Re: $1100 / 4br - Single-Family Home (Woodstock GA)

Thanks for your mail and also for contacting me on the house, I am Kenneth J Cocker, the owner of the house you are making inquiry of. I must confess to you that you are a lucky tenant. Presently my house is still available for rent for $1100 (rent already includes utilities). Due to our present location, we have been transferred from Work to Western region in Africa, i am an x ray welder, and i was transferred here under Niger dock plc. My wife came here to join me with my kids after some months i was transfer, I will be here for 5 years. My Father is ill and he has gone to Germany for surgery. So my wife had to come along with the keys and all the documents to the property because my father is not around for now. It is not share accommodation, it's all for you and your family.

Please i want you to note that i spent a lot on my property that i want to give to you for rent, so i will solicit for your absolute maintenance of this house and want you to treat it as your own, It is not the money that is the main problem but i want you to keep it tidy all the time so that i will be glad to see it neat when i come for a check up. I also want you to let me have trust in you as i always stand on my word.

This is the address of the House (422 Gael Way, Woodstock GA 30188)

It has a dramatic entry foyer with ceramic floor. Extremely spacious rooms throughout with lots of big windows. Nice and light! New neutral paint and some newer carpet.....Very quiet, low traffic area. New fridge I believe its absolutely a perfect home for you and your family.Utilities include Water,Trash,Sewer,Gas Etc....

SO IF YOU ARE REALLY INTERESTED I WILL WANT YOU TO FILL THE RENT APPLICATION FORM BELOW.

RENT APPLICATION FORM.
FIRST NAME:__________?
MIDDLE NAME: ___________?
LAST NAME: _____________________?
PROFESSION:______________________?
PHONE CELL: ______________________?
PHONE HOME:_______________________?
PHONE WORK:________________________?
PRESENT ADDRESS:________ ?
HOW LONG:________?
MARRIED:__________ ?
SPOUSE'S NAME: ________?
CHILDREN:_________ ?
HOW MANY:________ ?
AGES:__________________?
PETS:_________ ?
NAME OF PET
KIND OF PETS:__________________ ?
HOW MANY?_______?
HABITS
DO YOU SMOKE______________ ?
DO YOU DRINK______________?
DO YOU WORK LATE NIGHT?____?
YOUR EMPLOYMENT
EMPLOYER:_______________________?
EMPLOYER'S ADDRESS:_____________________?
SUPERVISOR:_________?
BUS. PHONE:________?
HOW LONG ON PRESENT JOB: _______ ?
SPOUSE'S EMPLOYMENT
EMPLOYER:_______________________________?
EMPLOYER'S ADDRESS:_________________?
SUPERVISOR::____________ ?
BUS. PHONE::_______________?
HOW LONG ON PRESENT JOB: _____________?
REFERENCES
PERSONAL REFERENCE: _________________?
PHONE: _____________________?

The Landlord is authorized to use the information provided herein to conduct any and all investigations as deemed prudent by the Landlord.

The house is available for rent at the moment so you are free to move in as soon as you wish to. A Deposit of $500 (which happens to be the security deposit) is required before moving in. Arrangements on how to get the keys and other necessary documents delivered to you. The house will be available for rent for a period of 5 years so you have a choice of deciding how long you intend staying there.

Landlord,
Kenneth J Cocker

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement