Room for Rent and other rental scams
#112293 by Con Warner Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:38 am
Sent: Sunday, July 08, 2012 11:11
To: Con Warner
Subject: Re: $1500 / 5br - 2554ft² - Luxurious home with open floorplan in a fantastic location

Hello,

It's my great pleasure that you are interested in my lovely home for rent. My name is Fred M Marvastian, former US Marine Sgt. served in the 3rd Battalion, 25th Marine Regiment that Patrols the Anbar province, Iraq, before now we resided in this house and presently we have moved out due to my transfer as a matter of my profession, where i work as a volunteer with Catholic Revival programmed at the Ermita de San Antonio (St. Anthony Hermitage) here in Nigeria in west africa and my wife who is a missionary's dealing with Bible Translation and literacy worldwide. As soon as we settle down here i had a thought of selling the house so I have to look for an agent, after getting one, we got a deal but later my wife advised against that. I reasoned with her and accepted her advice. So I contacted the agent back and requested for my keys and documents. Later we decided to have the house rent out, we would have given the same agent this job also but the truth of the matter is that the agent would want to handle it professionally and the occupant may not be able to reason along with him later. If you notice, you will discover that the price we are offering is far below standard price, this is enough for you to know that we are not after the rental fee but the absolute care for the property. We will be serving for a long term and now our home is locked up now and presently we have found a new home here which we will be staying for a very long which might last 5 years in Nigeria.
More so, please i want you to note that all we will want is a very honest and neat person, so i will solicit for your absolute understanding and maintenance of this home and want you to treat it as your own, i am with the keys and documents here with me which will be sent to any responsible and interested tenant through FedEx further more you have to undergo some processes before i could be willing and convince to rent my home to any tenant. The money is not the main problem but i want you to keep it tidy always. I also want you to let me have trust in you as i have always stood on my word. It has a dramatic entry foyer with ceramic floor. Extremely spacious rooms throughout with lots of big windows…nice and light! New neutral paint and some newer carpet. Very quiet, low traffic area. New fridge I believe it’s absolutely a perfect home for you and your family.
Utilities include Water,Trash,Sewer,Gas Etc....
Note: the Rent is $ 1,500
Security Deposit is $ 1,000
Utilities included in RENT Section 8 Available.
Pets Allowed: Cats, Dogs etc.
Available Now.
Here is the address of the house you can easily drive by: 4456 Faraday Pl NW, Washington, DC 20016

PLEASE TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF
Full Name___________________________________
Current Address________________________
City_____________
State______
Zip Code________
Home Phone ( ) ___________________
Mobile Phone ( ) ____________________
Date of Birth_________________________________
Reasons for Leaving____________________________?
Rent $__________
Are you married________________?
How many people will be living in the house_________________?
A Picture of yourself if possible______________________
Do you have a pet______________?
Do you have a car______________?
Occupation____________________________
Monthly Income_________________________
Move In Date___________________________
How soon can you have the move in payment sent __________________
How soon do you want to receive the keys and documents of the house ______________________

(PLEASE NOTE THAT INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED)

You should get back to me so we can proceed ASAP. Please note than you will only be able to drive by the house for now but not have a look at the interior until i have sent the keys and documents of my house to your destination, and the requirement for getting the keys and documents of the house is a fully refundable security payment as stated above, but i am giving you a benefit of doubt that you will love everything about this lovely home. You are advised to act fast on this so you don't lose the house to other interested applicants.
Best Regards,
Sgt Fred M Marvastian.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement