Room for Rent and other rental scams
Advertisement

#20265 by Hughes1963 Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:15 am
Toybox

I need to warn you that it only gets worse from here.

I was the victim of such a scam, I had an email from Willem also at the same email address you wrote about - but this was after I was scammed by somebody else - I'm sure it's the same guy as the phone number he used was the same phone number as you posted.

I can give you the details later, but the person had used a Scanned Passport of a European (emailed to me as 'proof' that he was the European person).

I found out later that it was really not him - he had obtained such a scanned passport via the method you described - by people sending the Scammer their passport copies to get the apartments.

So - you are now the victim of Identity fraud.

In my case, the scammer had used an +44 0702... & +44 0703 number - which I later found out were 'platform' numbers - and although they purport to be in UK they are not (although not the same scam, read this to find out about the phone numbers from UK Police - Right click and "open link in new window" to remain on this page (met.police.uk))

So if you have sent them a phone with a SIM card, they simply use that phone to carry on with the crime with somebody else. I'm afraid it's sad, but true.

I eventually found out all this by searching online and found the following useful websites: Right click and open in new window chicaneryconsscams./ and Right click and open in new window chicaneryconsscams. .
The email address that the scammer used was on this list - the other email he used was not, but I've asked them to add it to the list.

So the scammer is now emailing people, purporting to be you - emailing your passport around as 'proof' that they will get the apartment. In my case, the scammer had even opened a UK bank account in the same name as the passport holder - and I transfered money into it, as I didn't trust the Western Union route as there was no traceability.

I contacted UK police who were not helpful at all - but have yet to contact Singapore police . I do not know what else you need to know, but please be aware what is going on with your Passport & Details.

Added instructions to links for visitors wishing to remain on this page - Ralph
#20268 by Ralph Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:30 am
Hi Hughes

Thank you for posting this information,

I will point out that scammers do receive many of their victim's identification, while there is a definate chance they will use the ID of a particular victim, seeing as they do have as many as they do, there is a chance they will never use "your" ID.
#20307 by toybox Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:14 am
hi,
I was emailed by the Removed word that could be considered offensive, I know these people are scum, but please keep it clean - Ralph bastard again!!! he called me on my handphone no. and said he's gonna retransfer my money back. I didn't believe the bullshit he was saying. He's been accessing this site and he wants to know why I've been spreading bad stuff about him on the internet!!!!!!! He also wanted to know what I did with the phone I purchased for him!!! It just repulses me so much that these bastards still think ppl will fall for their crap again and again!!!
#20316 by Ralph Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:39 am
Scammers can be extremely persistent, they do believe that they are so much smarter than their victims, so much so that they often refer to their victims as "maga" a word literally translating to "fool"
#20388 by toybox Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:39 pm
hi hughes,
in my case also the scammer sent me the scanned passport copy of a european guy named richard willem tibor. im sure that guy must have been a victim of this scammer who is now using his identity to scam other people. and thanks for posting details about the other websites.
#20513 by toybox Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:45 pm
My Dear,Glad to read from you. I really appreciate your interest in my apartment... My full name is JANE LOUISE MILLAR, I'm from London (United Kingdom), i travel a lot due to the nature of my job. I work as a representative of my company, i work with a fabric company based in U.K., i was recently transferred to Singapore to gain a market for my Company.In order to widen our market, i was saddled to bring our product close to people of Singapore, i was also given the job of handling the market.However, I'm presently in London, i will be back to Singapore by 28th January, 2010.This is the reason I want to rent out two rooms out of my apartment, because I would still come down to Singapore to continue my job. I can reduce the rent if you can promise me that you will keep the apartment clean and tidy. Tell me more about you.Therefore i want a trustworthy and reliable person so that my mind can be at rest when on business trips. Reply me so that we can proceed.Take good care of yourself and be a NICE FLATMATE...Thank you for getting back to me once again.I will be looking forward to read from you.Best RegardsJane(+447024058814)
#22627 by noelnash Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:35 pm
ALMOST SCAMMED.

This is now his email and using a scanned Singaporean passport .The address he is using now is different and the name is also a Singapore name. PLEASE BE WARNED too.. Good thing I checked all over the place before sending any money.

Here is the series of email he sent.

Hi Flatmate,
I noticed in your profile in Share Accommodation you were in search of a room lucky enough i have a Well furnished apartment suitable and decent for a Perfect roommate, the apartment is ready for immediate move in and it is located at 14 Scotts Rd 228213 Singapore but before i start telling you about it, it is only right that I let you know more about me being your potential flatmate so that you can know somethings about me.

My Name is Tan Nee an easygoing jovial and friendly male. My Hobbies are swimming, reading and traveling. In fact, I have being to France,also recently UK,I also like hanging out with friends and associating with people but I have not had the opportunity to hang out with my friends as I have being busy with my studies and also as I am looking to have my masters very soon. My Dad used to live here in this apartment with my Family but we later moved to UK where he passed away and I am the only one in this apartment although my mother is still in UK overseeing my late father's business and am not around for now and would not be back for sometime. I am in UK now on an internship project attached to a firm of my Dad's Company and I have being sent to supervise and would be back by the end of June 2010. As soon as i have confirmed you as my flatmate for reservation, I will send you the Keys to the apartment by mail

About my apartment, It is a three bedroom apartment and as I live in one room of the apartment, I have two rooms ready for move in, the rooms are furnished with a sofa-bed, two armchairs, dining table with expendable leaves with 4 matching chairs, television with digital receiver, telephone, parquet floors, and there is a window facing north. The apartment is wireless Internet enabled

You will have free and unlimited access to all part of the apartment, the Kitchen, the living room and of course except my room, and you can also have your own visitors.The rent for the room is $700 Per Month and this includes the utility bills(all included) and you will be required to pay a security deposit of $400. This security deposit will be refunded to you at the end of your stay in my apartment.

I hope it suits you well and if you have any more questions you can surely ask me, I also attach the pictures of the apartment and i am willing to send you the tenement contract agreement so that we can conclude and you can eventually move in.

Regards and waiting to read from you soon

Tan

NEXT email after I sent a reply..

Hi *****,
Thanks for your swift response and interest in my room. The
apartment is spacious and you can have the bike kept and chained in
the apartment,it is okay by me if you do that. You can have your wife
come to visit you as long as you want provided you ensure to make sure
the rooms are always clean and tidy at all times,you can also do a
light cooking occasionally.the rooms are still available either for
short or long term basis depending on your choice and Like i said,my
apartment has 3 rooms and a living room,so i use one room while two is
for rent.The rent for the apartment is $700 per month while you would
also make a security deposit of $400.This deposit would be refunded to
you at the end of your stay in the apartment if nothing is destroyed
during your stay.
Before we proceed though,there are some conditions and rules and I
will like us to decide on and it just requires your conscent and
afterwards we can proceed with the contract and for me to reserve the
room you so you can move in as soon as you want to,i will need you to
get back to me with the following:

1.You shall sign a document confirming that the room has been reserved for you

2.You shall make your first month payment to me

3.You shall have to read the agreement contract which i shall send to
you firstly as an attached mail before you make your payment. For the
document to be prepared successfully,I would be needing the following
details:

(1) Your move in and out date;

(2) Your current address and also the address where you would like the
keys to the apartment,the Original copy of the contract and also the
receipt of payment sent to after confirmation of payment from me which
you shall sign and bring along with you when moving in finally as my
room mate

(3) Your scanned ID passport for identification

(4) Your Full Name

(5) The Total Months you will like to stay in my apartment

(6) Mobile #

The house is located at 14 Scotts Rd 228213 Singapore . It overviews
the courtyard with a large window. This apartment is ideal for 3
guests.The living room is well furnished and perfect,i am not around
for now and would not be back for sometime. I am in UK now and would
be back by the end of June 2010.As soon as i have confirmed you as my
flatmate for reservation, I would send you the Keys to the apartment
by mail and also send the contract documents and receipt aswell.

I hope you quite understand me and everything?

There is also a washer and dryer in the apartment for the laundry
needs and also to the apartment has a car park.Infact,it has being
allotted two car spaces.

I wait to read from you soonest to continue the contract and further
details about the documents towards having you as my room mate. Yan
call me on +447011151047

Warmest regards,

Tan
Last edited by noelnash on Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#22628 by noelnash Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:41 pm
HE sent me a contract with this email and a scanned passport of the name he was using. He also sent the purported address in UK where I was to send the money. Now here's the catch. He was giving me the address of a mall as the place that I was supposed to rent. Far East Plaza.

J*******,
I just got the Contract Documents from my family lawyer and I have thus attached it for you,read it thoroughly and sign on it, when you have read the Contract and are sure you can abide by the rules and the regulations on the contract,you should send the stated sum in the contract to my information which appears on the contract.Here's the information once again :

Name: TAN NEE
Address: 30 Laxley Close, London SE5 0YP United Kingdom

You can fill the form on this site and find agent closest to your location. http://www.westernunion.com/locator/

When you have made your payment by western union,you will get back to me with the payment confirmation which are:

- The Money Transfer Control Number(MTCN)
- The Sender's First and Last Name and also the Location where it was sent from
- The Amount sent.

As soon as I get these details and have confirmed it,I would then begin the sending of the Contract Documents,Keys of Aparment and also the receipt of payment to the address you provided. For reference and to avoid loss of any item, Pls do confirm the address all over again.

I await your payment confirmation and I am happy for we would be the best flatmates ever.Thanks for choosing me and my room and Pls find attached the contract documents and make your payment for you to reserve the room for your eventual move in,there are 2 apartments since you will be moving into 1 of the apartments then i will be looking for a renter for the second apartment and the utility bills is already included in the Monthly rental fee. You can call me now on +447011151047

Regards

Tan

He also sent the purported address in UK where I was to send the money. Now here's the catch. He was giving me the address of a mall as the place that I was supposed to rent. Far East Plaza. This gave me already the warning signal. So PLEASE be warned. He has changed his name and address and using a Singaporean passport to add to his authenticity which is totally FAKE!
Last edited by noelnash on Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#22633 by The Enchantress Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:03 pm
Welcome to Scamwarners noelnash.

Well Done on being wise and investigating this scam. :=)

Also Thank You for posting this information - it will alert and save others from being scammed.

Also of note telephone number +4470 = UK redirect service to any cellphone worldwide and favoured by scammers.

Can you please post the mail address being used by this scammer?

Also his "fake" passport.

This guide may help http://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219

If you have any questions or concerns please post - a support team member will be glad to help you.
Last edited by The Enchantress on Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Photos - are scammers using yours? click here
Are you falling for a love scammer? click here
Never send money by Western Union/Moneygram.
Never give personal information.
Online anyone can claim to be anyone, any age and from anywhere.
#22634 by noelnash Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:12 pm
Here is the complete header of his email address..

From Tan Nee Fri Feb 19 10:32:35 2010
X-Apparently-To: ********@yahoo.com via 206.190.49.113; Fri, 19 Feb 2010 02:32:38 -0800
Return-Path: <[email protected]>
X-YMailISG:
X-Originating-IP: [209.85.218.217]
Authentication-Results: mta154.mail.sp2.yahoo.com from=gmail.com; domainkeys=pass (ok); from=gmail.com; dkim=pass (ok)
Received: from 127.0.0.1 (EHLO mail-bw0-f217.google.com) (209.85.218.217)
by mta154.mail.sp2.yahoo.com with SMTP; Fri, 19 Feb 2010 02:32:37 -0800
Received: by mail-bw0-f217.google.com with SMTP id 9so1107275bwz.5
for <****l****@yahoo.com>; Fri, 19 Feb 2010 02:32:36 -0800 (PST)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
d=gmail.com; s=gamma;
h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references
:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type;
bh=pXdxSRJMU9QNgecfeWNY8werHS5wA+MXdDX2EZdi6m0=;
b=
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws;
d=gmail.com; s=gamma;
h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to
:content-type;
b=
MIME-Version: 1.0
Received: by 10.204.39.203 with SMTP id h11mr6765208bke.153.1266575555400;
Fri, 19 Feb 2010 02:32:35 -0800 (PST)
In-Reply-To: <[email protected]>
References: <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 02:32:35 -0800
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Share-Accommodation.sg - Scotts Road
To: **** **** <*********@yahoo.com>
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary=0003255590520f9627047ff19aed
Content-Length: 91033

Removed domain keys and quoted for clarity - Ralph
Last edited by noelnash on Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.