Room for Rent and other rental scams
#51600 by szelyn Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:30 pm
Oh oops I think I didn't make myself clear in my earlier post...what I meant was that I'd told the other party that I wasn't comfortable with how he/she had wanted to post the key to me, and what I'd suggested was for him/her to mail the key to their friend, and for that friend to arrange a house-viewing with me.

Have stopped responding to them, of course.
Advertisement

#54695 by soaksash Mon May 30, 2011 4:12 pm
Also got the email from a purported "Lee Sin Ying"

Thanks for your mail regarding the flat and the rooms are still available and Like i said, my apartment has 3 rooms and a living room, so i use one room while two is for rent and if i finally get a renter for just a room, then the other room could be used as guest room. I have attached the pictures of my apartment and you should find them below; the living room, bathroom and toilet that is in the rooms that I have for rent and would be for your private use and also pictures of the Kitchen where we deal with our stomach...!!!:).

The rent for each room is $650 while you would also make a security deposit of $1,100. This deposit would be refunded to you at the end of your stay in the apartment if nothing is destroyed during your stay. Before we proceed though, there are some conditions and rules and I would like us to decide on and it just requires your consent and afterwards we can proceed with the contract and for you to reserve the room and to move in soon:

1. You shall sign a document (Tenement Agreement Document) confirming that the room has been reserved for you and thereafter you can then make your payment for the reservation and also for your immediate move in following the contract.

2. You shall have to read the agreement contract which i shall send to you firstly as an attached mail before you make your payment.

For the document to be prepared successfully, I would be needing the following details:

(1) Your Full Name:

(2) Your move in and out date:

(3) Your current address and also the address where you would like the keys to the apartment, the Original copy of the contract and also the receipt of payment sent to after confirmation of payment, which you shall sign and bring along with you when moving in finally as my room mate.

(4) Your scanned ID passport for identification..

I hope you quite understand me and everything?

Each room has an air conditioner. There is also a washer and dryer in the apartment for the laundry needs and also to the apartment has a car park.... Infact,it has being allotted two car spaces. It has amazing plazas on our doorstep as well as world class restaurants, bars and shops.

I wait to read from you soonest to continue the contract and further details about the documents towards having you as my room mate.

Warmest regards,
Lee.

I had an inkling that this was a hoax from the beginning:

1. First off the in his reply to the initial email I sent to him/her was dated at "10:44 am" when I actually sent it at 5:44 pm (Singapore and PH are the same timezones BTW)

2. The line " Warmest Regards, Lee". If his/her name is Lee Sin Ying, he should have written it as "Sin Ying" not Lee. In chinese names, if i remember it correctly, Lee would be the family name. Not Sin Ying

3. She was a purported Marketing Officer, but she had no linkedIn account whatsover. No facebook searches popped up. Nothing on Lee Sin Ying.

4. The images she sent me was too small, all were mostly 20kb in size, probably googled it....

5. Lastly, I read the same email message sent to armand.jose.....

Thanks to site, I was saved around 1100 dollars....
#58907 by christoph542 Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:43 am
be careful they have now started using other names on this.
I just got scammed unfrotunately i didn't figure it out until i sent the money as I didn't do proper research
they are using the email [email protected] they are using the names alexander canet; alexandra canet; anita canet

I hope that this stops someone from losing the money i did.
#59909 by jamie_paris Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:35 pm
This one is a scam too!!! Elizabeth Lisa Franck: [email protected]

Still the same speech...

"Hi Flatmate, Good morning to you,i;m contacting you from Easy roommate
because of the availability of my apartment,The apartment is still
available and ready for move in and it's in Central singapore but
before i start telling you about it,i would like to give you a brief
introduction about myself so that you can have a clear picture of whom
you're dealing with .My Name is Lisa frank and I'm easygoing
female . My Hobbies are swimming,reading and traveling. In fact, I've
been to USA,Thailand,Malaysia but i'm presently in ENGLAND London .I
also like hanging out with friends and making new friends but I have
not had the opportunity to hang out with my friends as I have being
busy with my studies and also as I am looking forward to obtain
masters degree very soon. :)

My Dad used to live in the apartment with my Family but we later moved
to London,Also i used to be the only one in the apartment whenever am
on vacation or free from school while my mummy lives in london at the
moment and taken control of my Daddy's business.About my apartment, It
is a four bedroom Flat and as I live in one of the rooms, and a girl live in the other one and I have two
rooms ready for move in. The apartment is located in Central Singapore
and the rooms have the following:Amenities:

Internet connectivity.... (Broadband)
Heating and cooling system.
Electricity
Gas
Phone connectivity
Car Space,Reading Table e t..c

You'll have free and unlimited access to all part of the apartment,
the Kitchen, the 550sgd and with a security utility bills(all
included) and you will be required to pay a security deposit of
1000sgd . This security deposit will be refunded to you at the end
of your stay in my apartment.I hope it suits you well and if you have
anymore questions you can ask me,i'll send you some pictures of the
apartment and tell you more in my next email as soon as i read from
you.have a pleasant moment and God bless,

please ans your question if there is anything you would Like to Know
before we Proceed.

Regards
Lisa"
#60110 by fabbb Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:28 am
I actually sent them passport copy, but was never gonna sent them money.
I asked to hand over key personally, so not sure they will still reply.
I checked the location further and saw that the indoor pictures of the room would not match google street view.

thanks to you guys I got sure. I googled for the mail-adress. luckily they are not very creative.

my conversation with one of them:

Hi Fabian,
Thanks for your mail. My apartment has 2 rooms and a living room,so i use one room while other is for rent and there is also a visitor room in the apartment,which I used as guest room.I have scanned the pictures of my apartment and you should find them below; the living room,bathroom and toilet that is in the rooms that I have for rent and would be for your private use and also pictures of the Kitchen where we deal with our stomach...!!!:)

The rent for the apartment for all of you is 700$ while you would also make a security deposit of 500$. This deposit would be refunded to you at the end of your stay in the apartment if nothing is destroyed during your stay. Before we proceed though,there are some conditions and rules and I would like us to decide on and it just requires your consent and afterwards we can proceed with the contract and for you to reserve the room and to move in soon:

1.You shall sign a document ( Tenement Agreement Document) confirming that the room has been reserved for you and thereafter you can then make your payment for the reservation and also for your immediate move in following the contract.

2.You shall have to read the agreement contract which i shall send to you firstly as an attached mail before you make your payment.

For the document to be prepared successfully, I would be needing the following details:

(1) Your Full Name

(2) Your move in and out date:

(3) Your current address and also the address where you would like the keys to the apartment,the Original copy of the contract and also the receipt of payment sent to after confirmation of payment from my family lawyer, which you shall sign and bring along with you when moving in finally as my room mate

(4) Your scanned ID passport for identification..

I hope you quite understand me and everything?

There is also a washer and dryer in the apartment for the laundry needs and also to the apartment has a car park....Infact,it has being allotted two car spaces.

I wait to read from you soonest to continue the contract and further details about the documents towards having you as my room mate.

Your Flatmate!
Jue

--- On Tue, 7/26/11, Fabian wrote:

Subject: Re: Telling you more about me and my flat, Tell me more about you
To: "Jue He" <[email protected]>
Date: Tuesday, July 26, 2011, 12:45 AM

Hey, I'm at work, but will write more later.
you are aware, that I would only stay two months? Aug 1 to Sep 30. tell me if that is a no-go.

write you later,

regards,
fabian

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Jue He <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi,
Thanks for your mail, My apartment is a Two bedroom apartment located on 45 Beach Rd, Singapore 189682 to be precise and I am looking for tenants for one of the rooms in the apartment. The apartment belongs to my Mother although she got it from my father after the demise of my Father last year. I can reserve the room for you before your move in but only if you show me how serious you need the room. I have other offer who is also interested in the room but I think we will be a perfect match (flatmate) and I would love to give the room to you.

The apartment is fully furnished and also the rooms am renting out so you might not need to come with any other furniture but if you intend coming with any stuff, let me know alright?... The apartment has a heating system, water, parking space, security, Electricity, Gas, Phone, Internet Connectivity (Broadband), You would have free and unlimited access to the kitchen, the store room, the guest room, and all areas and part of the house except my room of-course... :) You are also entitled to your own visitors.

The two rooms has the same amenities and are of the same size. The rent for the apartment and also the cost of the utility bills is 700$. Once again, this includes the cost of the utilities as earlier mentioned. The apartment is centrally located and is just some minutes walk to the nearest bus station and also you would have easy and fast access to other locations.

You would also be required to pay a security deposit as is the custom, the security deposit would be refunded to you at the end of your stay in the apartment if nothing is destroyed by you during your stay in the apartment. The deposit is 500$. About Me: My Name is Jue He I am a 25 year old Female. I am the only child of my parents and I live alone in this apartment.This apartment used to be my family apartment till when my Dad moved us all to US where he eventually passed away but I alone stay here in the apartment and have being renting it out for sometime now. My last flatmate left for Germany last week hence my search for new flatmates.

I am calm and laid-back person and my hobbies are reading, swimming and also at times on Fridays/weekend, I attend social events but I have not being having the opportunity dues to my work to hang out with my friends. I work as a marketing officer and when I am free I go to the pool to relax my mind and also unwind. I also visit the gym to keep fit at times.. ;)
Let me also know more about you because I believe it is essential that we get to know each other before we become flatmates. I shall be glad to send you pictures and also the contract so that we can conclude and be good flatmates.

I await to read your response.

Regards,
Jue
--- On Mon, 7/25/11, Fabian wrote:

Subject: your room
To: [email protected]
Date: Monday, July 25, 2011, 6:39 AM

hi there,

didnt I already write you? I'm *********************
Cheers,

Fabian
#60695 by kelze Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:56 am
this guy or whatever this person never seem to give..try to scam me
start to feel something going on where this person stated that "But i am afraid the room may have been rented by that time by another flat mate. I am so sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you As soon as i have confirmed you as my flatmate for reservation", when i asked when i can moved in>>>"2) when can i moved in? because i'll be start working in 5/9, but i need to come there by 28/8 because i'll be having my medical check up and collecting my license and work pass. You can move in as you get to Singapore" and the most funny part, he/she wanted me to make the payment to her mother at USA....WTF! so beware!

You are going to make the Payment Through Western union to my Mother and i will give you the information now. When are you going to be sending the $650 Dollars.

Here is the information below.

Name:JESSICA SMALL
Address: 3035 TRAIL
City: TOPEKA
Zip code: 66603
State: Kansas

You can fill the form on this site and find agent closest to your
location. www.westernunion.com/locator Or
http://www.moneygram.com/eFindUs/findUs ... ageCode=en

I have successfully searched out some western union agents closest to
your address where you can make your payment from..When you have made
your payment by western union to her,you would get back to me with the
payment confirmation which are:

The money transfer control number.MTCN

The sender's First and Last Name.

The location where it was sent from.

The Amount Sent.

Scanned Payment Confirmation Slips.

As soon as I get these details and have confirmed it,I would then
begin the sending of the Contract Documents and also the receipt of
payment to the address you provided with DHL Next Day air Service
Delivery

Anias Theron

1) how much is the total payment(incl. deposit)? Its will be $1250. You said you you want to pay 850$ first.

2) when can i moved in? because i'll be start working in 5/9, but i need to come there by 28/8 because i'll be having my medical check up and collecting my license and work pass. You can move in as you get to Singapore

3) how far is it from ***? how long it takes to get there? Its will only take you 8-10 minutes to get there.

4) how may i know that this is not a fraud? God Forbid. I will send you my Passport for you to be able to trace me.

Sincerely,

Anais

Deal.. Before we proceed though,there are some conditions and rules and I will like us to decide on and it just requires your consent and after wards we can proceed with the contract and for me to reserve the room you so you can move in as soon as you want to,i will need you to get back to me with the following:

1.You shall sign a document confirming that the room has been reserved for you

2.You shall make your first month payment to me

3.You shall have to read the agreement contract which i shall send to you firstly as an attached mail before you make your payment. For the document to be prepared successfully,I would be needing the following details:

(1) Your move in and out date;

(2) Your current address and also the address where you would like the keys to the apartment,the Original copy of the contract and also the receipt of payment sent to after confirmation of payment from me which you shall sign and bring along with you when moving in finally as my room mate

(3) Your scanned ID passport for identification

(4) Your Full name

(5) The total months you will like to stay in my apartment

(6) Mobile #

The house is located at 370 Thomson Rd, Singapore 298128 Subway: Toa Payoh (0.81 km)

It overviews the courtyard with a large window. This apartment is ideal for 3 guests.The living room is well furnished and perfect,i am not around for now and would not be back for sometime. Yes you can see the apartment, But I have exhausted my Off Days and i won't be able to get another until late October 2011,I am not in Singapore at the moment, I am on an internship on a research of a Project on animal discovery. I am a Geologist.I hope you understand me, well if you can wait till then,But i am afraid the room may have been rented by that time by another flat mate. I am so sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you As soon as i have confirmed you as my flatmate for reservation, The Keys to the apartment will be send to you asap. I hope you quite understand me and everything?
There is also a washer and dryer in the apartment for the laundry needs and also to the apartment has a car park.In fact,it has being allotted two car spaces.
I wait to read from you soonest to continue the contract and further details about the documents towards having you as my room mate. My contact Number :+447011151047

Warmest regards,

Anias

Hi Flatmate

I noticed in your profile in Share Accommodation you were in search of a room lucky enough i have a Well furnished apartment suitable and decent for a Perfect roommate, the apartment is ready for immediate move in and it is located in 370 Thomson Rd, Singapore 298128 Subway: Toa Payoh (0.81 km)..close to shops, cafes, pubs, restaurants,shopping mall,Central train station,Fully furnished with TV , fitted kitchen with all pots/pans, toaster, fridge, dishwasher, dryer, etc.Heated indoor pool and spa, Gym,sauna,fully serviced apartment complex,Large balcony with excellent views,Internet Access,Air Conditioning,Opening
Windows,Washing Machine,Ironing Equipment,Tea/Coffee Making,Hair dryer but before i start telling you about it, it is only right that I let you know more about me being your potential flatmate so that you can know somethings about me.

My Name is Anias Theron and I am a 22 year old easygoing female,My father is from France and my mother is from Singapore. My Hobbies are swimming, reading and traveling. In fact, I have being to Germany,Wales,also recently Scotland,I also like hanging out with friends and associating with people but I have not had the opportunity to hang out with my friends as I have being busy with my studies and also as I am looking to have my masters very soon. My mother used to live here in this apartment with my Family. but my father live in the apartment also later moved to USA where he passed away and I am the only one in this apartment although my mother is still in USA overseeing my late father's business and am not around for now and would not be back for sometime. I am in UK now on an internship project attached to a firm of my Dad's Company and I have being sent to supervise and would be back by the end of October 2011. As soon as i have confirmed you as my flatmate for reservation, I will send you the Keys to the apartment by mail with 1-3 days delivery

About my apartment, It is a two bedroom apartment and as I live in one room of the apartment, I have one rooms ready for move in, the rooms are furnished with a sofa-bed, two armchairs, dining table with expendable leaves with 4 matching chairs, television with digital receiver,Air Condition,laudry machine, telephone, parquet floors, and there is a window facing north. The apartment is wireless Internet enabled

Living room description:

Air conditioning ; DVD ; Hifi ; Broadband Internet WIFI ; Tv by Cable ;
Phone ; TV ; Bookshelf ; Desk ; Sofa ; Chairs ; Double Glass ; Shelves ;
Armchair ; Window ; Parquet flooring ; Coffee Table ; View on courtyard

Bedroom 1 description:Bed, bathroom and households linen ; Double bed ;
Double Glass ; Shelves ; Window ; Bedside lamp ; Bed ; Parquet flooring ;
Wardrobe ; Cupboards

Bathroom 1 description:

Shower ; Bed, bathroom and households linen ; Hair Dryer ; Tiling ; Single wash basin ; Towel Dryer ; WC

Kitchen description:

Vacuum cleaner ; Kettle ; Iron ; Fridge ; Toaster ; Coffee machine ;
Micro wave oven ; Chairs ; Shoulder-height kitchen cupboards ;
Floor-standing kitchen cupboards ; Parquet flooring ; Kitchen Table

You will have free and unlimited access to all part of the apartment,
the Kitchen, the living room and of course except my room, and you can
also have your own visitors.The rent for the room is $700 Per Month and
this includes the utility bills(all included) and you will be required
to pay a security deposit of $800. This security deposit will be
refunded to you at the end of your stay in my apartment.

I hope it suits you well and if you have any more questions
you can surely ask me, I also attached the pictures of my flat and also
the tenement agreement so that we can conclude and you can eventually
move in.

Regards and waiting to read from you soon,

Anias
#60752 by Bubbles Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:26 am
Welcome to ScamWarners kelze. Yes, this is a scam. Anyone asking for pre-payment by Western Union, NoneyGram or any other money transfer method is a scam.

The scammer wants you to send money in a way you cannot retract the transaction. Please post the email addresses you received the messages from. This will help others too.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#63597 by Jyuhiii Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:21 am
Hi all,

This is my recent encounter with a scammer in cragslist. I was looking for a condo room recently and i found this amazing deal on cragslist with the title: "SGD800 spacious master room in Central Grove Condo polviewing 1min walk MRT (1min walk to Aljunied MRT)"

I emailed to the lister [email protected] and she replied me immediately with a full passage of information, the email is as follows:-

Thanks for your interest in our apartment. The apartment is still
available and ready for move in and it's in , Singapore but before i
start telling you about it,i would like to give you a brief introduction
about myself so that you can have a clear picture of whom you're
dealing with .My Name is Stella Yuan and I'm easygoing Female . My
Hobbies are swimming,reading and traveling. In fact, I've been to
Thailand,Malaysia but I'm presently in London.I also like hanging out
with friends and making new friends but I have not had the opportunity to
hang out with my friends as I have being busy with my studies and also

as I am looking forward to obtain masters degree very soon.
:)

My Dad used to live in the apartment with my Family but we later moved to London
where he passed away,and i used
to be the only one in the apartment whenever am on vacation or free from
school while my mummy lives in London at the moment and taken control
of my Daddy's business.About my apartment, It is a three bedroom Flat
and as I live in one of the rooms,I have one room ready for move in and
has the following:Amenities:

Internet connectivity.... (Broadband)

Heating and cooling system.

Electricity

Gas

Phone connectivity

Car Space, e t..c

You'll have
free and unlimited access to all part of the apartment, the Kitchen,

the living room except my room :)) Your visitor are always welcome. The

rent for a room is 800 and with a
security utility bills(all included) and you will be required to pay a
security deposit of 1000 .This security deposit will be refunded to you
at the end of your stay in my apartment.I hope it suits you well and if
you have anymore questions you can ask me,I'll send you some pictures
of the apartment and tell you more in my next email as soon as i read
from you.have a pleasant moment and God bless

Regards
---------------------------------
I was really amazed by the details and think it sounds really fishy therefore i decided to do a google check first. I realized the content is very similar to a a lot of scam emails posted here. I continue to email her for more information and she emailed me a couple of photos of the apartment look very like those show flat photos and very pixelated. When i asked for better photos she can't provide me and just ignore my request. And at her forth email she asked me to send her all my details and placed a deposit. When i asked her about the payment procedure she replied and asked me to make payment to her mother through western union and they will proceed with the transaction as soon as they receive my payment. They will only able to send me the keys after confirmation of my payment.

The deal is too good to be true, and when i emailed her it was 6am (London Time) when she claimed she is currently in London and can continue to reply my email till 11am (London Time)..i think scammer don need to sleep..haha..Also, her english is really bad and she claimed that she is getting her master degree..well..just beware of this person =)
#63617 by Mama19 Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:52 am
Be Careful !! Nancy Winks and Marina Quijano are scammer !!

They tried to have money and informations about you so be careful.
I was looking for a room in Sydney and they send me automatically e mails like that :

Hello,

I just came across your profile on Share Accommodation that you are looking for a room to live in Sydney. I am very glad that you are still waiting and searching the best apartment that will suit you. I am an easy going person and would definitely love to have someone of that prospect in my apartment. Every information that you need will be stated in the most definite and explicit way which would make make you make your choice.

I have attached the pictures of my lovely home. It is a well furnished suitable home. My flat is located at the center of Sydney.

Address: Bond Street Sydney NSW 2000
Area: Sydney CBD
Rent: $600.00 Per Month
Bond: $300.00 (The Bond is refundable on your move out date}
Utilities include: Electricity, gas, cable, phone and internet facility
Car Park also available.
Available: NOW
Minimum stay: 1 Month
Maximum Stay: As long as you like.
Flatmate
Description: Easy going and friendly to relate to.
Personal info: Marina Quijano, 37 yrs. old , Female , Straight
Profession: Air Hostess

Preferred flat mate description:

Smoker: Doesn't matter
Orientation: Doesn't matter
Pet: Doesn't matter if you have one

Room and apartment description:

Features: kitchen,Bedrooms, Bathrooms
Home amenities: Alarm system, Cable reply, Washer/Dryer, Dishwasher, Microwave. Kitchen access, Storage, Gym.
House amenities: Furnished, Air conditioning, Private entrance, Private bath, Phone jack, TV, Cable jack, Closet. Internet access

A wonderful collection of individual style apartments which have recently been refurbished to a very high standard, offering very spacious accommodations. well equipped full kitchen, including a washer

-dryer.
-Conveniently
Located
-Daily
Cleaning
-Business Facilities
-SatelliteTV
-Superb Kitchen with washer / dryer
-Parking FREE
-D.V.D/CD Players
-Car Park Available..

Access to Health Club at no cost superbly located in the heart of the interesting and vibrant area of Sydney, yet with easy and convenient access into the City, also with the availability of parks around you.

Whatever your reason for visiting Sydney, it is a city that has something to offer everyone. Sydney has successfully fused its grand heritage with modern living and attracts a wide range of visitors every year. Sydney also has a huge choice of restaurants, bars and hotels to suit your budget.

It is close to schools and public transport,making it convenient for you to move about.

You will also find a fantastic range of affordable options to suit any budget. With flavors from all over the world, you will be spoil for choice.

Sydney is an exciting place to stay in, i bet you will love it here.

Hope you love the description of my place. The place is available right now so let me know if you are interested.

Yours Sincerely,
Marina Quijano "

and like that :

Sorry to bother you over this, but I saw your AD that you are in need of an accommodation, I have an apartment in SYDNEY available, I am an easygoing woman, Smart,clean, tidy and have a good sense of humor. I don't smoke nor do drink but I love the taste of red wine. I don't like hanging out late but once in while when it permits, I do hang around with friends, but that is once in a blue moon. I am looking for a perfect flat mate that would have almost the qualities I wanted in a flat mate. I have attached the pictures of my lovely flat. It is a well furnished suitable flat.
My flat is located at the SYDNEY.
Address: 540 Crown Street, Surry Hills NSW 2010
Rent:($600.00 Per Month) all bills included,
Bond: $600.00 (The Bond is refundable on your move out}
Utilities include: Electricity, gas, cable, phone.
Personal info: Wink Nancy, 35yrs. old, Female, Straight, Professional.

Room and apartment description:
Features: kitchen, reception Bedrooms, Bathrooms
Home amenities: Alarm system, Cable reply, Washer/Dryer, Dishwasher, Microwave......
Kitchen access,
House amenities: Furnished, Air conditioning, Private entrance, Private Bath, Phone jack, TV, Cable jack, Closet. Internet access, car park available.
A wonderful collection of individual style apartments which have recently been refurbished to a very high standard, offering very spacious accommodations. Well equipped full kitchen, including a washer - dryer.
Absolutely stunning and beautifully furnished bedrooms apartment is conveniently located only moments away from the Sydney CBD is this bedroom unit with balcony and internal bathroom facilities. A super location, right in the heart of Surry Hills; cafes, shops, restaraunts, bars & transport all located at your door, the perfect location for a busy lifestyle. Only seconds walk to everything that the vibe & lifestyle of Surry Hills has to offer.

Let me know if is suitable with you if so you should be able to get back to me. I'm looking to rent out to nice and cool person really understand your plight and I want you to know that the apartment is fully available. I would like to know how long you will be staying and when you will love to move in.
Best Regards,
Nancy

It's a Shame !!!! :bondage:

Fortunately, I was wary and I was checked on the internet by typing their names.
Thank you to the forums such as scamwarners and the many testimonials! :=) :=) :=) :)

Struggle against these scams! :bondage: :!: :evil:

Mama's French :wink:
#67164 by Jedi_Gypsy Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:31 am
Hi there,

Just read the above emails and they seem similiar to what I have just received yesterday:

Hi

My husband and I owners of the House . It was due to my husband transfer that makes us to leave the House and also want to give it out for rent a looking for a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money for the rent but want it to be clean at the time and the person that will rent it to take it as if it were its own. So for now, Am here in London,our new house so viewing at this time will not be possible...Hope you are not offended by that and also with the keys of the House, We try to look for an agent that we can give this document before we left but could not see and we re as well as don't want our house to be used any how in our present that is why we took it along to us here and as you know that, My husband is in London for a Christian Mission of God, So I hope you will promise us to take very good care of the House. So get back to me on how you could take care of our House. Hope you are okay with the price with hydro, Heat laundry facilities, Air condition, Internet and so on, View more pictures at the attach file.. I look forward to hearing from you ASAP so that I can forward you rent application to fill out and discuss on how to get the keys/documents and move in,also are you ready to rent it now or when ?

MORE DETAILS:-
FULLY FURNISHED
SHORT/LONG TERM RENT
SPACIOUS AND LIGHT
KITCHEN BREAKFAST ROOM
POPULAR AREA
THREE BEDROOMS
GOOD TRANSPORT LINKS
PARKING SPACE.

Await your reply soon.

Thanks and God Bless You

-------------------

Then got the application form after i replied:

Please if you are ready now to occupy the house kindly provide the
information below for record purpose
PLEASE TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF
Full Name__________________________________________________ Home Phone
( ) ________________________
Date of Birth_________________________________
Other Phone ( ) ___________________
Current Address_______________________________Apt#________
City__________________ State______ Zip________
Reasons for Leaving____________________________Rent $__________Phone (
) ____________________________
Are you married____________________________
How soon do you want to pay the house rent and
deposit____________________________
How many people will be living in the house____________________________
Do you have a pet____________________________
Do you have a car____________________________
Occupation____________________________
Move In Date____________________________
NOTE: YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO VIEW THE INTERIOR PART OF THE HOUSE
BECAUSE I HAVE THE KEYS HERE WITH ME.

Regards

Joan.

--------------------

I had asked to view the apartment 3 times separately and either got no reply or an excuse..

Thanks for the response,here is the apartment address:7 Mt Emily Rd, Singapore and get back to me with the rent application form so that we can proceed further.

Regards

Joan.

------------

Thanks for the response,the apartment is locked that is reason why i said you should go and view it from outside,so i will want you to get back to me so that we can proceed forward.

Regards

Joan.

------------

I noticed it was too good to be true and wanted to see if anyone else has had contacted this same scammer.
It has happened to me before in Australia and they said the same thing.

Hope no one gets done over by this pathetic person.
#70982 by topazie Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:27 pm
Something I noticed
1) she's avoiding answering my request about flat viewing
2) email looks like it has been copied and pasted
3) very poor english, a lot of grammatical errors- impossible for anyone that stays in the UK, especially doing master degree
4) lower than normal market rental price
5) rushed process- no lawyer wanna work on Sunday I guess
6) Money transfer by western union - preferred mean for scammers
7) the photo of the apartment in her profile that is posted in the website and the one she sent to me are different sets- have h notice any red wall in the pics I sent u?
8) confusing description about the place - she said there is a basement and yard, upstairs with carpet , blah blah but judging from photos- it's a normal apartment and no bed room got carpet

email i have got
Hello Flatmate,
I am extremely happy that we have come to the end of the whole processes of the rental protocols and i have thus attached the copy of the rental agreement contract copy for you to read and understand the terms and conditions before you can go ahead and make the payment. Immediately you receive this copy,and have understood all clauses indicated therein,you are to transfer the said amount withing the next 48hrs by western union money transfer to my mother whose information appears in the contract and for verification purposes,i state it again below:

Name : Mrs Ruth Barney
Address: 60-66 Saffron Hill , EC1N 8QX , London , England , UK

Immediately the payment is done,you are to get back to me with your payment details such as:
1. Money transfer control number
2. The senders first and last name
3. The total amount transferred

NB: The requested details shall be based as it appears in the receipt given to you at the western union agent from where you made your payment,this is for effective verifications by western union and details shall appear in the receipt that shall be sent to you as a confirmation that a certain amount was received from you by my mother as such details given.

Immediately your payment has been confirmed by my mother,i shall at once send to you copies of the original contract and your receipt of payment already signed and this is what you shall sign and bring along with you when coming to be my flatmate. However,i will like you to reconfirm me the address where you want the keys and the document send to after your payment has been confirm by me, Because i will not like to send it to a wrong address. .. blah blah..

Thx to the website :)
#71075 by Bubbles Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:30 pm
Welcome to ScamWarners topazie. You have done a good job of recognizing what scammers do . All of your points are correct. It is great that you were not scammed and have posted information for others to find.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#78281 by valecoil Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:32 am
This Nancy Wink chick seems to be everywhere...I bumped into her rental scam during the past few days,as I'm currently looking for a new flat in Sydney...apparently this person is doing this also in Singapore...well,her advert was actually dodgy from day 1cause i found it bit too cheap for a room in Surry Hills,which is an expensive suburb of Sydney...When she mailed me that she wanted to be paid through western union and she gave me an address in Kuala Lumpur I gave up any hope and discovered she's pretty famous worldwide....beware of www.shareaccomodation.net ,there are too many Nancy wink like people there..there's nothing such a single room for 600$ x week in Sydney City or eastern suburbs...
#80094 by NicolaiF Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:07 am
I recently recieved the same email from Slack concerning a room in new york city. I saw this website (and thank you very much btw, this saved me a lot of time and trouble.) I am sorry to hear that some of you were not so fortunate :(

Anyways, I am curious and I am keeping the contact with this person, trying to get it into a live chat. I wanted to know if you guys think that would be useful (knowing their IP Address which is being used)??

Nicolai