Room for Rent and other rental scams
#131298 by NY2010resident Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:51 pm
<Fake> check scammer.

(1) The reply goes to : frankryan <[email protected]>
Tuesday, October 23, 2012
To: xxx
Hello, how are you doing today?..
I saw your Apartment posted on Craigslist for rent.
I'll like to know if the room is still available . Thank You

(2) The reply goes to : frankryan <[email protected]>
Sunday, October 28, 2012
To: xxx
Hello, how are you doing today?.. I saw your Apartment posted on Craigslist for rent.
I'll like to know if the room is still available . Thank You

The reply goes to : frankryan <[email protected]>
TO: xxx
Friday, October 26, 2012
Thanks for your response, my name is Frank M. Ryan from Canada.
I'm moving to your area soon, I work with EPA here in Toronto, I was
transfer from Torono to carry out research work with Environmental
Protection Agency(EPA) in your state. Here is little about myself,
I'm a Doctor, i speak English and French, am single, fun, loving,
clean, and respectful of others, don't drugs/smoke. My father is
from US and my Mother is from Canada, am { 30yrs old/M }. I attended
University of Toronto, where i gain my Medical Doctor (M.D.) a
physician's degree and Masters.

I'm coming for a short term stay, the lease is for how many months?
am ready to sign the lease agreement as soon as i get there. I'll like
to pay for the first month rent fee now... I'll would have like to
come and check the room before renting but am very busy here with my
preparation, i will love to see 1 or 2 of the room pics. I'll like
you to tell me little about yourself, please let me know the total
amount for the first month rent and payment will be done in Us dollar
certified check.. It's my employer that will sponsor me and
responsible for my rent and traveling expenses. Kindly get back to me
with the below information, so that the check will be send out to
you.

Please get back to me with the cost and i will be glad to update you
and make the payment in advance to show you how serious and for you to
secure the room for me.

Full name to be on the check :-
Street address (not P.O Box): -
City:-
State:-
Zip code:-
First Month rent fee :
Mobile number:

I wait for the information from you as soon as possible, so that i
can forward it to my empolyer to issue out the check for the first
month rent, you can hold on the place for me upon my arrival. If you
have any agreement form to fill out, i will do that on my arrival to
your house. I will be using the room started from December.

My information
Frank Mike Ryan
47 Austin Terrace,
Toronto, Ontario, M5R 1Y8
+1(805) 364-0287

Thanks for your co-operation
Last edited by NY2010resident on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Advertisement

#138166 by Dancer37 Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:52 am
I received both of these messages verbatim in response to a rental property I posted.

Thanks for alerting me. This scammer has my email address now. I don't know what action I should take. Can he harm my identity or anything else by only knowing my email address.

Thanks again!
#141055 by djaco1380 Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:11 pm
Mr [email protected] has a new email address <[email protected]> I am a dog groomer and sitter and here's what i got

Frank Ryan <[email protected]>

2:49 PM (19 hours ago)

to me
Hello,
Am interested in your service, i would like you to be taking care of my new pet, while i'm at work in your city. Get back to me as soon as possible. Thank you

my reply
to Frank
Hello I appreciate the interest in my services what type of pet do you have what age is the pet and what service will you be needing daycare or grooming please contact me back with more infor so we can set something up and go over pricing also your name and maybe a phone number would be helpful thanks and have a blessed day

his reply

Frank Ryan

9:00 AM (1 hour ago)

to me
Hello,
Thanks for your response, my name is Dr Frank M. Ryan from Canada I'm
moving to your area for my new 1 year contract with Environmental
Protection Agency( EPA) in United States. I just got my new 2 Hound Dogs
online, i want you help me take care of it for 4 hours per day every
Mondays to Fridays for 2 weeks. You do not have to worry about
transportation, have negotiate with a cab driver that will be bring
it down to your place go and come. I'll like you to get back to me
with the total cost, it is my financier in the united state that will
sponsor me and responsible for the payment, so i want you to get all
information to be use to have the payment, so that i can forward it to
my financier in the state to send you the check, you will be paid
with Us dollar certified check.

Please get back to me with the amount and i will be glad to update you
and make the payment in advance for the driver to bring it down to
your location once you have your payment, because i want you to help
me take care of it upon my arrival. Kindly get back to me with the
information so that the check will be made out to you.

Total charges:-
Mobile number for easier communication:

I wait for the information from you as soon as possible. I love pet so much.

My information:
Frank Mike Ryan
47 Austin Terrace,
Toronto, Ontario, M5R 1Y8
(805) 364-0287

its the same message that was posted previously just altered a little for my business thanks for posting about scam and hope the updated info helps keep people from giving out there info I know I didnt but there were things that red flagged from the first message
#142754 by abain Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:09 am
I received the exact same email except he is using the name Mike Andrews, address: 200 Elizabeth Street, Toronto. Thank you for the heads up.
#143208 by Yroc Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:40 pm
Same message on Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 4:06 PM,

Mike Andrew <[email protected]> wrote:

Thanks for your response, my name is Mike Andrew from Canada. I'm moving to your area soon, I work with EPA here in Toronto, I was transfer from Toronto to carry out research work with Environmental Protection Agency(EPA) in your state. Here is little about myself, I'm a Doctor, i speak English and French, am single, fun, loving, clean, and respectful of others, don't drugs/smoke. My father is from US and my Mother is from Canada, am { 30yrs old/M }. I attended University of Toronto, where i gain my Medical Doctor (M.D.) a
physician's degree and Masters.

I'm coming for a short term stay, the lease is for how many months? am ready to sign the lease agreement as soon as i get there. I'll like to pay for the first month rent fee now... I'll would have like to come and check the room before renting but am very busy here with my preparation, i will love to see 1 or 2 of the room pics. I'll like you to tell me little about yourself, please let me know the total amount for the first month rent and payment will be done in Us dollar certified check.. It's my employer that will sponsor me and responsible for my rent and traveling expenses. Kindly get back to me with the below information, so that the check will be send out to you. Please get back to me with the cost and i will be glad to update you and make the payment in advance to show you how serious and for you to secure the room for me.

First Month rent fee :
Mobile number:

I wait for the information from you as soon as possible, so that i can forward it to my empolyer to issue out the check for the first month rent, you can hold on the place for me upon my arrival. If you have any agreement form to fill out, the lease agreement will be sign with my physical signature on my arrival. I'll be using the room started from Feb.

My information
Mike Andrew
200 Elizabeth St
Toronto, ON M5G 2C4
+1 805-364-0287

#146641 by nyc10017 Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:06 pm
Hello everybody,

Thank you for posting information on this thread, r

I have been receiving emails from this same craigslist rental scammer Mike andrews

in addition to the emails exactly the same as the ones posted in this thread,
I have also received this additional request for money today.

please see below...Please advise how to report this to the correct authority.........also hope this helps other people who are receiving email from this scammer

Subject: XXXX
To: XXXX
Date: Thursday, January 24, 2013, 11:44 AM

Hello,
How are you doing? Am sorry for getting back to you late, the check will deliver to you today through FedEx courier service, here is the tracking number of the package sent to you......147871515004650
As soon as you have the check with you, i'll like you deposit the check at your bank, to have the money. Please due to the short time of my arrival, i'll like you to make it happen today or tomorrow possibly, So that she can have the money on time and to help me in my travel plan asap. You're to deduct the first month rent and get the rest balance sent to the Travel Agent through Money Gram transfer.

Visit any Money Gram outlet nearest to you , you will be given a form to fill, get it filled with the information below as the receiver of the money, you're to send the money in minutes and Money Gram fee are to be deducted from the money you are sending.

Here Is The Travel Agent's Money Gram Information.

Receiver's Name..........Audrey Baxter
Address.........................201 Ellicott Dr
Ormond Beach, FL 32174

Once the money is sent , i'll like you to get back to me with the, Name and address use for the transaction, total amount sent after deduction of Money Gram fee and the reference 8 digit number, for confirmation. All necessary papers will be signed as soon as i arrived. Thanks while i await to read from you asap.

Thank you
#149260 by ivarivdnow Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:12 pm
Well, I just got an Email from Frank Ryan aka [email protected] and also aka [email protected] with the email as follows "Hello, how are you doing today?.. I saw your Apartment posted on Craigslist for rent. I'll like to know if the room is still available . Thank You"

Something just didnt seem right...as I suspected....here we are! :)
#149304 by Jillian Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:56 pm
Welcome, ivarivdnow. Thanks for taking the time to post and let us know that the information here was helpful to you! Please let us know if you have any questions, and please do continue to contribute. If you're using Craigslist, you're likely to come across more scammers, some of which might not already be listed.

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#149559 by juleevee Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:26 am
Yup. It happened to me, too! Frank M Ryan.

My concern is that they have my last name, and my email addy and my town.

I just googled that info, and now 411.com is showing my exact address, age, telephone number.
I feel afraid of the identity theft piece, but should I also be worried about safety?
Anyone have any ideas for me?

I cant remove myself from 411.com because they have an old phone number for me, but my current addresss!
Its a shit show. :roll:
#149699 by Jillian Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:40 pm
Welcome, juleevee. I'm glad you found us!
Just stop contact with the scammer and you should be perfectly safe. This type of scammer isn't usually interested in ID theft, and the info that is publicly available isn't usually enough for ID theft. This same info is available online for thousands and thousands of people.
Please let us know if you have questions about this scam. If you'd like to learn more about ID theft risks, please visit the FTC's site here: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/fe ... tity-theft

Have you sent a payment to a scammer with Western Union and now realize it's a scam? If the payment has not been picked up, you can cancel it immediately! 1-800-448-1492

Follow ScamWarners on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ScamWarners
#149703 by taylordlaw Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:52 pm
I just received the following email from "Mike Andrews" from a CL posing I had.

--------------

Hello, how are you doing today?.. I saw your Apartment posted on Craigslist for rent. I'll like to know if the room is still available . Thank You
#149904 by 'Ric Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:25 pm
Looks like "Frank Ryan" has been busy. The first message I got from him was a reply to my Craigslist ad, just:
"Hello, how are you doing today?.. I saw your Apartment posted on Craigslist for rent. I'll like to know if the room is still available . Thank You"

I replied that it is still available and asked him for some details, and this is the canned message I got back:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for your response, my name is Frank M. Ryan from Canada. I'm moving to your area soon, I work with EPA here in Toronto, I was transfer from Toronto to carry out research work with Environmental Protection Agency(EPA) in your state. Here is little about myself, I'm a Doctor, i speak English and French, am single, fun, loving, clean, and respectful of others, don't drugs/smoke. My father is from US and my Mother is from Canada, am { 30yrs old/M }. I attended University of Toronto, where i gain my Medical Doctor (M.D.) a physician's degree and Masters.

I'm coming for a short term stay, the lease is for how many months? am ready to sign the lease agreement as soon as i get there. I'll like to pay for the first month rent fee now... I'll would have like to come and check the room before renting but am very busy here with my preparation, i will love to see 1 or 2 of the room pics. I'll like
you to tell me little about yourself, please let me know the total amount for the first month rent and payment will be done in Us dollar certified check.. It's my employer that will sponsor me and responsible for my rent and traveling expenses. Kindly get back to me with the below information, so that the check will be send out to you. Please get back to me with the cost and i will be glad to update you and make the payment in advance to show you how serious and for you to secure the room for me.

First Month rent fee :
Mobile number:

can forward it to my employer to issue out the check for the first
have any agreement form to fill out, the lease agreement will be sign
with my physical signature on my arrival. I'll be using the room
started from March.

My information
Frank Mike Ryan
200 Elizabeth St
Toronto, ON M5G 2C4
+1 805-364-0287

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:x
Here in DC I do get a lot of people looking for housing during fellowships, etc. like this, but the fact that the doesn't manifest any knowledge of that my ad says (especially the cost) made me suspicious so I googled key phrases and lo and behold you confirmed it. Great website. I'll check back here more often.
'Ric :=)
#152609 by skybar Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:20 pm
Just got an email from this guy today. Sent Feb.23, 2013. Looks like he is still in businesses. He asks for photos but they were already there on the Craigslist listing.

Thanks for your response, my name is Frank M. Ryan from Canada. I'm moving to your area soon, I work with EPA here in Toronto, I was transfer from Toronto to carry out research work with Environmental Protection Agency(EPA) in your state. Here is little about myself, I'm a Doctor, i speak English and French, am single, fun, loving, clean, and respectful of others, don't drugs/smoke. My father is from US and my Mother is from Canada, am { 30yrs old/M }. I attended University of Toronto, where i gain my Medical Doctor (M.D.) a physician's degree and Masters.

I'm coming for a short term stay, the lease is for how many months? am ready to sign the lease agreement as soon as i get there. I'll like to pay for the first month rent fee now... I'll would have like to come and check the room before renting but am very busy here with my preparation, i will love to see 1 or 2 of the room pics. I'll like
you to tell me little about yourself, please let me know the total amount for the first month rent and payment will be done in Us dollar certified check.. It's my employer that will sponsor me and responsible for my rent and traveling expenses. Kindly get back to me with the below information, so that the check will be send out to you. Please get back to me with the cost and i will be glad to update you and make the payment in advance to show you how serious and for you to secure the room for me.

First Month rent fee :
Mobile number:

can forward it to my employer to issue out the check for the first
have any agreement form to fill out, the lease agreement will be sign
with my physical signature on my arrival. I'll be using the room
started from May.

My information
Frank Mike Ryan
200 Elizabeth St
Toronto, ON M5G 2C4
+1 805-364-0287

#160616 by platopus Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:09 pm
Hello, how are you doing today?.. I saw your Apartment posted on Craigslist for rent. I'll like to know if the room is still available . Get back to me as soon as possible through your email. Here is my email ([email protected]). Thank you

haven't replied to this chap yet i had a gut feeling to google search the email.