Room for Rent and other rental scams
#39179 by Mike_Hockishuge Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:56 am
I appreciate the scamwarners website.

I'm a landlord, and I often get bogus responses to my online ads. I too recently received a reply from [email protected] (I found this thread when I googled her email address!)

I suspected it was a scam because the "from" email address and the "to" email address were different. In my experience, legitimate people never do that.

Another obvious giveaway is when "from" identity is different from whomever is writing the email. Example: You get an email in your inbox from a random person, for example sake lets say "Lisa Davis" Yet, when you read the email ,it's signed "Bob Jones".

Oh, another good one: If you post an ad with a phone number, and someone replies, gives you "their" phone number and they ask you to call them. Apparently there are some numbers you call that automatically slam you with a $10 charge on your phone billy and good luck trying to resolve it with your phone company. I don't know how the hell scammers are getting away with this crap but it's happening.
Advertisement

#42761 by Bubbles Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:32 am
Yes, they will deny being a scammer. It really does no good to confront them about their scamming and certainly do not tell them how you know they are a scammer. They will just learn how to hid their true intent and fool others.

You have done one of the best things you can do and that is post their information up here so others can find the information. We don't want them educated to be better scammers and we don't want their email addresses shut down because that is how we can do the most damage to their efforts. Getting their email and scam information out for others to see.

Thank you for posting this information.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#43239 by skierdude77 Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:49 am
hanks for getting back to me ... My name is Kelly Benson (F),I am
27yrs old,I am fun loving, personal, friendly,clean, caring,and
respectful of others. a non-smoker, don't do drugs, i drink
occasionally,and drama free. I graduated last year in France, I am
single and have no children ... i do bible study, and sometimes we do
karaoke night with my roommate! i go to church every Sunday .

I am coming for my masters degree. I was born in France (Bordeaux),
my dad is from USA but my mum is from Paris...I went to University of
Bordeaux in France i speak both French and English ,am presently on
research work at Guam (USA), am almost done.with that bcos its part
of my prerequisite for my masters in Microbiology . I would have loved
to call you but this is a remote area calls is hard to go through from
here and i don't want to waste much time .

Am really interested in renting from you and i do really love pets
but i don't have any at the moment. I would have loved to see it but
am very far,but with pictures,I am glad. I will also like you to tell
me more about you and if you have garage or parking space cos I will
have my own car come over, pls let me know the total payment of the
place and more over I will send your email to my dad for him to email
you later bcos he is the one that will be paying the bills but
nevertheless,I will like you to send me your full Name and the mailing
address, your phone number as well,so that my Dad will issue out the
payment for the place as soon as possible,with that you can hold on
the place for me till i come . I will be looking forward to your email
soonest. Thanks and happy new year in advance.

Kelly

first email was m: <[email protected]>
second email [email protected]>

I first checked facebook. didnt see her, then googled "kelly benson microbiology" and found this website. THANKS Scam Warners!!!!!!
#43277 by Bubbles Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:42 pm
Welcome skierdude77. We are glad that you found us before falling into this scam. :=)

Thank you for posting email addresses, that helps others who search to find information like you did. Feel free to stay around and learn about the various kinds of scams that are present in the internet.

Feel free to post up any other scams you receive.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#48279 by kris31963 Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:31 am
I haven't found a section for "car" scams, so I will post here, once again Kelly Benson has struck again. I put our jeep up for sale and this is the reply I received:

Thanks for the swift reply,i want you to get back to me with more
picture and what is the present condition of it.Am satisfied with your
advert price,as am requesting this transaction should be done via
PayPal so the PayPal charges is on me,If my offer is accepted send me
your PayPal email and your name including your phone# or send me money
request so i can pay you right away.I am busy at work and do not have
much time around me, but no worries as i am willing to handle the
picked of this merchandise through my legitimate mover agent cause i
will like it to be picked at your residence location,Make sure you get
back to me immediately, So no Shipping

Email: Sent By:
"kelly benson" <[email protected]>

I was suspicious, so I googled her, WOW!!! I would never set up a pay pal account for her to use, this sounded fishy, so I googled her. Also I told her that I would only accept CASH, I have never received another email.

Please feel free to post this in the appropriate area, maybe now she has moved on to vehicles. Thanks
#53968 by user1247 Sun May 22, 2011 1:04 pm
Two different email addressed used:
[email protected]
[email protected]

Replies Kelly Benson sent:

Hi Thank you i have gotten your information and I've forwarded it to mydad to send the check to you so i will like you to have little patientfor the check to arrive there ... i will also send you a confirmationtracking number as soon as the check is mailed out so that you willknow the exact time it will delivered and consider it rented to me ialso promised to keep and maintain the beauty of the place to yoursatisfaction ... i am moving in by June 3rd incase my dad didn't callyou don't bother bcos he happen to be a busy man this time but noworry the payment will reach you on time Once again you will get the check very soon and i want you to deletethe advert from the site and email me the nearest airport to you . Thanks.

Thanks for getting back to me and i apologize for my lateness reply... My name is Kelly Benson (F),I am 27yrs old,I am fun loving,personal, friendly,clean, caring,and respectful of others. anon-smoker, don't do drugs, i drink occasionally,and drama free. Igraduated last year in France, I am single and have no children ... ido bible study, and sometimes we do karaoke night with my roommate! igo to church every Sunday . I am coming for my masters degree. I was born in France (Bordeaux),my dad is from USA but my mum is from Paris...I went to University ofBordeaux in France i speak both French and English ,am presently onresearch work at Guam (USA), am almost done.with that bcos its partof my prerequisite for my masters in Microbiology . I would have lovedto call you but this is a remote area calls is hard to go through fromhere and i don't want to waste much time . Am really interested in renting from you and will really want to knoweverything about the place .I do really love pets but i don't have anyat the moment. I would have loved to see it but am very far,but withpictures,I am glad. I will also like you to tell me more about you andif you have garage or parking space cos I will have my own car comeover, pls let me know the total payment of the place and more over Iwill send your email to my dad for him to email you later bcos he isthe one that will be paying the bills but nevertheless,I will like youto send me your full Name and the mailing address, your phone numberas well,so that my Dad will issue out the payment for the place assoon as possible,with that you can hold on the place for me till icome . I will be looking forward to your email soonest. Thanks andhave a nice day. Kelly

I responded back by saying that all emails will be forwarded to the FTC for fraduent activity and reported to the local police department.
#56043 by renter1219 Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:28 pm
Dear fellow spamwarners I have recently (as of today) encountered this individual on my posting. I went to check her out on Facebook and chek her e-mail address on the internet and found ya'll I have read the majority of these replies but I have one question......What happens if you sent her your address or any other private information? Thanks for ya'lls post saved me further contact with this individual but would really like to know what repercussion maybe incurred due to my previous actions.
#56085 by Katharina Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:45 am
Hi renter1219!

What kind of information did you give to the scammer? If it is your address and phone number, while it is not ideal, not much harm done. He might use bits of your address to make his scams sound more real, but nothing else.

If he thinks you are a good victim he might send other types of scam to your email address, so be on the lookout and come here if you feel you got a suspicious email.

But if you gave him details of your bank account, credit card, or social security number, contact the bank, cc company, or authority immediately.
#56158 by renter1219 Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:49 am
Thanks so much for your answer. Nothing major was given. I was just curious of their MO and why would someone even bother doing this. Thanks for the help everyone!!
#56864 by cdiana91221 Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:24 am
Looks like she has moved to Yahoo and is also targeting job seekers. My daughter in law has been looking for a job and used her fathers cell phone as a contact number. Today we got a text message from this kelly person (addressed used are listed below). The text came from the internet to our phone. She wanted our yahoo address so we could chat more about the job she said she had for us. She wanted us to reply immediatly if we were still looking for a job. Fortunatly my daughter in law is not here so we did answer her. Ofcourse the only responses we got was the job descriptiong (listed below) and asking for our yahoo chat name to chat more about it. I hope this this information is helpfull. I know that when i googled her name this site came up and i am very thankful to find this. Thank you to everyone posting on this site about this scammer.

Address she used:
benson_kelly2001 (number that showed up in phone-1110440601)
[email protected]
lee_vinent4444 (1111440602)

Text message about job that she sent:
benson_kelly2001: U will be working with me as post master.. & u will be
getting paid $520 weekly and is a per~time work, did u have an internet
computer
#56877 by Katharina Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:39 pm
Hi cdiana,

your detailed information will be a wonderful help for potential victims!

The scammer tried to turn your daughter-in-law into a cheque mule, that means, he wanted her to cash counterfeit cheques and money orders for him. He would have offered her to keep a percentage as "salary" and send the rest to him via Western Union. Of course, sooner or later the bank will find out, make her pay every cent she cashed, block her account, and probably send the police.
#57162 by cdiana91221 Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:32 am
My intentions are to spread the word to help others. I knew that there were scams in the job search market but was never sure how exactly they worked. All the posts about this scammer has completely enlightened me to the dangers. I showed this to my daughter in law so she would be aware. Thank you, for creating this page and letting everyone share their stories.
#57411 by cnucaptainjoe Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:52 am
I too am a landlord and she told me a similar story. However she has changed her name to Kelly Ingram. Here it is below:

Thanks for getting back to me ... My name is Kelly Ingram (F),I am
25yrs old,I am fun loving, personal, friendly,clean, caring,and
respectful of others. a non-smoker, don't do drugs, i drink
occasionally,and drama free. I graduated last year in Japan, I am
single and have no children ... i do bible study, and sometimes we do
karaoke night with my roommate! i go to church every Sunday .

I am coming for my masters degree. I was born in Japan (Tokyo), my
dad is from USA but my mum is from Japan...I went to University of
Tokyo in Japan i speak English as well ,am presently on research work
at Guam (USA), am almost done.with that bcos its part of my
prerequisite for my masters in Microbiology . I would have loved to
call you but this is a remote area calls is hard to go through from
here and i don't want to waste much time .

Am really interested in renting from you and will really want to know
everything about the place .I do really love pets but i don't have any
at the moment. I would have loved to see it but am very far,but with
pictures,I am glad. I will also like you to tell me more about you and
if you have garage or parking space cos I will have my own car come
over, pls let me know the total payment of the place and more over i
will send your email to my dad for him to email you later bcos he is
the one that will be paying the bills but nevertheless,I will like you
to send me your full Name and the mailing address, your phone number
as well,so that my Dad will issue out the payment for the place as
soon as possible,with that you can hold on the place for me till i
come . I will be looking forward to your email soonest. Thanks and
have a nice day.

Kelly

She also used the email address: [email protected] Hope this helps someone.