Room for Rent and other rental scams
#140060 by samcarvalho Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:35 pm
Yeah, I just found out I'm a victim of this jackass as well. Already filed complaints here and there but my money is gone.

This was the contact information he used with me:

Receivers Name: Mr. Robert Perusse
Receivers Address: 171 Princess Road,
City: Manchester
Zip-Code: M14 4RL
Province: England
Phone #: +447864207787

And this was the first email sent:

Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 21:26:44 -0800
Subject: Re: Your Listing on HomeRENT.ca L50661
To: [email protected]

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in my apartment .The apartment is still available for rent and is available for long term/short term lease. I'm a Mechanical Engineer and I just got a job with S & W Engineering Company in Manchester, England. I work as a Senior Project Supervisor and i will be here for long that is why am putting up my apartment for rent.

The apartment is located at: 8 Spadina Road, Toronto, ON M5S 2J4, Canada

This unit is available as long as you want it.furnished 1bed/1bath apartment ,The apartment is strategically located in a very cool and lovely environment with many appliances including dish washer with in-suite laundry room and plenty of storage space and parking space . Professional and mature neighbors ensure peaceful living arrangements. Freshly painted.The rent is $650 per month including utilities and security deposit of 500 which is refundable at the end of your stay...I will like you to drive by to the building today to view the exterior of the building for you to know where the apartment is located and get back to me so that I can forward you the full interior pictures for you to have an idea on how beautiful and spacious the inside looks and we can proceed to the next step which is the application process..

Thanks for taking your time in writing me and hope to hear back from you.

Many thanks
Advertisement

#141987 by Kirks_mom Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:46 pm
Hey Sam,

So sorry to hear about your loss, but thank you so much for posting this waring. I have a young son looking to rent in Toronto and he came across a similar ad that just didn't add up. Thank God he mentioned it to me and me being the cynical type, searched google and found you.

Again,
thank you so much for this information.
Lorraine
#147608 by Maida Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:57 am
I was almost scammed by this same guy.
Thanks so much for this site, where I check for people's names every time I'm looking to rent a place.