Room for Rent and other rental scams
#141662 by Con Warner Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:33 pm
Date: Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 11:11
Subject: Re: $1975 / 2br - Live life as an upgrade? Everything included in this huge two bed (Boerum Hill)
To: Con Warner

Hello,

Thank you for your response. The good news is that the unit is still available . There was a potential leaser who had great interest in the rental, but he had bad marks on his credit report, so we need to start showing it again, as we want to get it rented ASAP. Considering you had contacted us initially, regarding the property, we are giving you first right of refusal.

The unit is in excellent condition. We know a lot of prospective renters want to take a quick look at the property, regardless, our policy is not to divulge the address, as the current tenants are still there. We don't want to disturb them as they are moving out currently. I’ll confirm what you probably already know this property is gorgeous! A leasing like this would typically go for much more, but again, we need to lease it immediately, which is why the lease rate is a tremendous value.

The utilities are intact and can be switched over to you once the lease is signed. You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone - if you decide to have these services. Pets are allowed but just need to know the size and breed for our records. The leasing term is 12-month lease, but can be switched to a 6-month lease, if that is more favorable. The only requirement is that you send us 30 days notice, when you want to move out of the unit.

If you would like to set up an appointment, go to the link below and order your credit report for a few bucks. We use the credit report to determine the % you pay for the security deposit and possibly pay no security deposit if your credit is above 700! Here is the link: http://smalurl.info/872f2daa6fad90dcb4a3bb9d06693c9f

The only pages we require are regarding your rental history. You just need to bring that to your appointment to see the property.

My availability over the next few days is going to be constrained, but I will try to be available between 10am and 8pm. After you have completed the online process, let me know that you have a hard copy and I can schedule an appointment at the rental.

See you soon!

Anne Banks

The link that you are asked to click is possibly a phishing site in which your personal details are harvested for identity theft.
Sometimes these links go to an actual credit report company that pays the scammer a small amount for your custom.
After visiting the site and replying to this person, the scam begins.

This person then asks for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment either to him, your friend or a family member.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, this person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union or Moneygram with the promise that they will send the keys through a courier company.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement

#142827 by ajay0722 Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:11 pm
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/apa/3520064295.html

Scammer wrote:Hello,

Happy New Years! Thank you for your e-mail. The good news is that the property is still available . There was a person who had great interest in the rental, but he got evicted from previous apartment, so we need to start showing it again, as we want to get it leased ASAP. Considering you had emailed us initially, regarding the property, we are giving you first right of refusal.

The unit is in excellent condition. We know a lot of prospective renters want to take a quick look at the property, regardless, our policy is not to divulge the address, as the current tenants are still there. We don't want to disturb them as they are moving out currently. I’ll confirm what you probably already know this property is gorgeous! A leasing like this would typically go for much more, but again, we need to lease it asap, which is why the lease rate is a tremendous value.

The utilities are intact and can be switched over to you once the lease is signed. You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone - if you decide to have these services. Pets are allowed but just need to know the size and breed for our records with a $300 pet deposit. The rental term is 12-month lease, but can be switched to a 6-month lease, if that is more favorable. The only requirement is that you send us 30 days notice, when you want to move out of the unit.

If you would like to set up an appointment, go to the link below and order your credit report for a few bucks. We use the credit report to determine the % you pay for the security deposit and possibly pay no security deposit if your credit is above 700. Also we will be using the rental history page of the credit report to see your rental history. Here is the link: http://fblink.info/11bca7f24dcbb9e672f8ee8afcd7dcb8

The only pages we require are regarding your rental history. You just need to bring that to your appointment to see the property. Please have all people over 18 to live in the property to order the credit report, thank you.

My availability over the next few days is going to be constrained, but I will try to be available between 10am and 8pm. After you have completed the online process, let me know that you have a hard copy and I can schedule an appointment at the rental.

See you soon!

"Quotes" added for clarity. - CW
#143510 by reservedlily Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:16 pm
Hi,

Happy New Years! Thank you for your reply. The good news is that the unit is still available . There was a person who had serious interest in the unit, but he lost his job, so we need to start showing it again, as we want to get it leased immediately. Considering you had emailed us initially, regarding the rental, we are giving you first right of refusal.

The unit is in great condition. We know a lot of prospective renters want to take a quick look at the property, regardless, our policy is not to divulge the address, as the current tenants are still there. We don't want to disturb them as they are moving out currently. I’ll confirm what you probably already know this property is gorgeous! A leasing like this would typically go for much more, but again, we need to lease it asap, which is why the lease rate is a tremendous value.

The utilities are intact and can be switched over to you once the lease is signed. You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone - if you decide to have these services. Pets are allowed but just need to know the size and breed for our records. The leasing term is 12-month lease, but can be switched to a 6-month lease, if that is more favorable. The only requirement is that you send us 30 days notice, when you want to move out of the unit.

If you would like to set up an appointment, go to the link below and order your credit report for a few bucks. We use the credit report to determine the % you pay for the security deposit and possibly pay no security deposit if your credit is above 700! Here is the link: http://toplnk.info/81ef75856bf45f6a8a4b54f1699f8fbf

The only pages we require are regarding your rental history. You just need to bring that to your appointment to see the property.

See you soon!
#143839 by KadeTalon Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:41 pm
Hi, I think I was scammed by this person! I went to the link and paid the money to get the credit score and then sent her the link to the site showing my score.
Can she hurt me with that information?
What do I do to prevent anything bad from happening?
#144251 by foodhog Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:28 pm
I received an almost identical email from this email address and it asked me to click on a link for a credit report. The link went to the Equifax site so I went ahead and purchased my credit report. When I went back to the link it led to another site altogether. Does this mean that this scammer got my personal info through the Equifax site? Please help. I'm very scared and stressed about this.
#145388 by idiot2013 Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:18 pm
I hate to admit it, but I didnt eh same thing. :oops: I thought it was the Equifax site & entered my information for the credit report. After not receiving an email form them confirming the new account, I became suspicious & checked into it a little more. I've sent "Anne" an email notifying her that all of my stuff is being monitored & the Detective will help ensure she's very sorry if she tries to use it.
Here's the posting:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/ap ... 32367.html

Don't fall for it.
#145497 by rhyankb Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:51 pm
This is absolutely a scam. I am a rental agent in Missouri. I had a house posted on craigslist. It was rented so I took the ad off. A few days later a potential tenant recalled me saying she saw I had dropped the price by $400. I told her that it was already rented and that the ad for it had been pulled from craigslist. She said no, it was the same ad. I went and found it. This person/company had stolen my ad. It was my ad, my pictures, my description, it just didn't have my information on it anymore. All you could do was email. I emailed and received a resonse back from [email protected]. It was identical to what you have posted. She/he said the house was still availbable and to click on that site and fill in all information so they could pull my credit right away and get me approved. I emailed back and told her/him what I thought and to get my ad that they stole off the internet. I then forwarded all the info to the cyber crime unit in our city. SHOWS HOW FAR PEOPLE WILL GO TO GET YOUR INFORMATION. DON'T GIVE IT OUT!!!!! Who knows how many times they have used that ploy.
#145595 by bythesea13 Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:18 pm
I came across this scam e-mail while helping my boyfriend search for an apartment. We both thought some of the details in the message were peculiar though it didn't raise a red flag right away. But on second thought, I have never ever been asked to go to a specific link to purchase a credit report prior to viewing a rental, so that's when I realized this didn't seem legit.

For those who clicked on the link in this scam e-mail and provided your info to purchase a credit report, you should contact the fraud department of the three credit bureaus (Experian, Equifax, Transunion) and file a fraud alert on your credit report. You can easily find the toll-free numbers online. Or for even better protection against ID theft, place a credit freeze. Don't forget to check your credit report yourself periodically for unusual activity.
#146251 by testerjoe Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:34 pm
This person also goes by [email protected]. They linked me to http://www.simple credit solution. com for the credit report. This was for an apartment in Pleasanton, CA. (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/3559295876.html)

Hello,

Thank you for your email. The good news is that the property is still available . There was a person who had great interest in the rental, but he had bad marks on his credit report, so we need to start showing it again, as we want to get it leased immediately. Considering you had emailed us initially, regarding the rental, we are giving you first right of refusal.

The unit is in excellent condition. We know a lot of prospective renters want to take a quick look at the property, regardless, our policy is not to divulge the address, as the current tenants are still there. We don't want to disturb them as they are moving out currently. I’ll confirm what you probably already know this property is gorgeous! A property like this would typically go for much more, but again, we need to lease it right now, which is why the lease rate is a tremendous value.

The utilities are intact and can be switched over to you once the lease is signed. You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone - if you decide to have these services. Pets are allowed but just need to know the size and breed for our records with a $300 pet deposit. The rental term is 12-month lease, but can be switched to a 6-month lease, if that is more favorable. The only requirement is that you send us 30 days notice, when you want to move out of the unit.

If you would like to set up an appointment, go to the link below and order your credit report for just a couple of dollars. We use the credit report to determine the % you pay for the security deposit and possibly pay no security deposit if your credit is above 700. Also we will be using the rental history page of the credit report to see your rental history. Here is the link: http://fburl.info/830b3461489388b41b29dca6670cf253

The only pages we require are regarding your rental history. You just need to bring that to your appointment to see the property. Please have all people over 18 to live in the property to order the credit report, thank you.

See you soon!

Stephanie Dobbins

Moderator note, I disabled the hot link. ~Bubbles
#146729 by Rigamarrell Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:28 pm
I am so glad I found this site unfortuantely not before I ordered the credit report from the link. I received this email (in reply to a craigslist posting for a rental property)

"Hi,

Thank you for your e-mail. The great news is that the property is still available . There was a potential leaser who had great interest in the unit, but he had bad marks on his credit report, so we need to start showing it again, as we want to get it rented as soon as we can. Considering you had contacted us initially, regarding the property, we are giving you first right of refusal.

The unit is in great condition. We know a lot of prospective renters want to take a quick look at the property, regardless, our policy is not to divulge the address, as the current tenants are still there. We don't want to disturb them as they are moving out currently. I’ll confirm what you probably already know this property is gorgeous! A leasing like this would typically go for much more, but again, we need to lease it immediately, which is why the lease rate is a tremendous value.

If you would like to set up an appointment, go to the link below and order your credit report for just a couple of dollars. We use the credit report to determine the % you pay for the security deposit and possibly pay no security deposit if your credit is above 700. Also we will be using the rental history page of the credit report to see your rental history. Here is the link: <removed>

See you soon!"

Sound familiar? Her name is Stephanie Dobbins and by the way I called the company from which I ordered the report from. They answered the phone apporopiately but I launched into my worry about fraud and how this woman gave me a link to their site, the line went dead. I have filed fraud alerts but I am not sure if there is anything else I can do. :|
#146760 by christine99 Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:49 pm
I received this response...and immediate flags went off. I am glad I didnt click on the link

"Hello,

Thank you for your response. The great news is that the property is still available . There was a potential renter who had significant interest in the rental, but he lost his job, so we need to start showing it again, as we want to get it rented ASAP. Considering you had emailed us initially, regarding the property, we are giving you first right of refusal.

The unit is in great condition. We know a lot of prospective renters want to take a quick look at the property, regardless, our policy is not to divulge the address, as the current tenants are still there. We don't want to disturb them as they are moving out currently. I’ll confirm what you probably already know this property is gorgeous! A unit like this would typically go for much more, but again, we need to lease it asap, which is why the lease rate is a tremendous value.

The utilities are intact and can be switched over to you once the lease is signed. You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone - if you decide to have these services. Pets are allowed but just need to know the size and breed for our records. The rental term is 12-month lease, but can be switched to a 6-month lease, if that is more favorable. The only requirement is that you send us 30 days notice, when you want to move out of the unit.

If you would like to set up an appointment, go to the link below and order your credit report for a few bucks. We use the credit report to determine the % you pay for the security deposit and possibly pay no security deposit if your credit is above 700! Here is the link: http://fblink.info/802e150c1e2bbce69a63625e4013329c

See you soon!

Stephanie Dobbins"
#146996 by googlymoogly Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:35 pm
Ugh, I knew that apartment was too good (cheap) to be true! I responded to a CL ad for an apartment that looked legit, it had multiple pics of the interior and a pic of the exterior. In fact I was almost sure I knew what building it was, it looked very similar to a building a friend's neighborhood. They probably just copied from an earlier, actual ad. The response I got set off alarm bells, mostly due to the weird link and ducking my question about the address, so I did some googling. There's no 'modern-homes.info' website and Stephanie Dobbins shows up here along with her alter ego. Here's the email she sent me, almost identical to the ones above.

------------------------------------------
Hi,

Thank you for your e-mail. The great news is that the rental is still available . There was a potential renter who had great interest in the property, but he got evicted from previous apartment, so we need to start showing it again, as we want to get it rented immediately. Considering you had emailed us initially, regarding the property, we are giving you first right of refusal.

The unit is in excellent condition. We know a lot of prospective renters want to take a quick look at the property, regardless, our policy is not to divulge the address, as the current tenants are still there. We don't want to disturb them as they are moving out currently. I’ll confirm what you probably already know this property is gorgeous! A property like this would typically go for much more, but again, we need to lease it asap, which is why the lease rate is a tremendous value.

The utilities are intact and can be switched over to you once the lease is signed. You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone - if you decide to have these services. Pets are allowed but just need to know the size and breed for our records. The rental term is 12-month lease, but can be switched to a 6-month lease, if that is more favorable. The only requirement is that you send us 30 days notice, when you want to move out of the unit.

If you would like to set up an appointment, go to the link below and order your credit report for a few bucks. We use the credit report to determine the % you pay for the security deposit and possibly pay no security deposit if your credit is above 700! Here is the link: http://fblink.info/f2a0bdbdd486dafd96f55499ed2c589d

See you soon!

Stephanie Dobbins

-------------------------------

I hope I don't encounter too many of these while looking for a new place.
Glad this site is around, I work in community mental health/social services and several people I work with and/or their family members have been victimized by various scams. I have a client right now who I'm pretty sure is being scammed out of money (and he's on disability) but he won't listen. These people are the scum of the earth.
#148953 by Usmcxo3 Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:04 pm
OMG I am in total disbelief that almost the same exact email was sent to my fiancé and I. As first time renters we were eager to find a place. My fiancé found a place on Craigslist, It seemed kind of too good to be true. This email was sent to my email this morning actually.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. The good news is that the rental is still available.
There was a potential leaser who had great interest in the rental, but he had
bad marks on his credit report, so we need to start showing it again, as we want
to get it rented immediately. Considering you had contacted us first, regarding
the property, we are giving you first right of refusal.

The unit is in excellent condition. We know a lot of prospective renters want to
take a quick look at the property, regardless, our policy is not to divulge the
address, as the current tenants are still there. We do not want to disturb them
as they are moving out currently. I can confirm what you probably already know
this property is gorgeous! A property like this would typically go for much
more, but again, I need to lease it right now, which is why the lease rate is a
tremendous value.

The utilities are intact and can be switched over to you once the lease is
signed. You will be responsible for cable, internet, and phone - if you decide
to have these services. Pets are allowed but just need to know the size and
breed for our records. The rental term is 12-month lease, but can be switched to
a 6-month lease or even a 3-month lease, if that is more favorable. The only
requirement is that you send us 30 days notice, when you want to move out of the
unit.

If you would like to set up an appointment, go to the link below and order your
credit report for a few bucks. We use the credit report to determine the % you
pay for the security deposit and possibly pay no security deposit if your credit
is above 700! Here is the link:
http: / / securelinks . info/bf692538c57d9de7d3894fcda0ae0112

The only pages we require are regarding your rental history. You just need to
bring that to your appointment to see the property.

My availability over the next few days is going to be constrained, but I will
try to be available between 10am and 8pm. After you have completed the online
process, let me know that you have a hard copy and I can schedule an appointment
at the rental.

I hope to see you soon!

Barbara Jenkins

After receiving that I was so close to putting my credit information on that link above. But before I did that I researched if that site was legit and that's when I came across this website and I am so glad. The posts from here stopped me from being scammed. I am so thankful there are still friendly normal people in this world. If it wasn't for everyones feedback I would have been one of many to be scammed off of craigslist. We now know never to use Craigslist to find a place to live. All this is very scary and usually is hard to realize if it's a scam or not. If we do our research we can all help each other and prevent these horrible scam artist.

Thank You to everyone on this website. You are great people!

Disabled hotlink and added quotes for clarity. ~Bubbles
#149030 by Bubbles Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:02 pm
Welcome to ScamWarners Usmcxo3, we are always pleased when we can help someone.

It would help us if the email you received the message from is different from those listed above, please post that email address so people can find in by searching.

Bubbles, former Scamwarners moderator.

Rest in Peace 24 June 2015.

Gone, but never forgotten.
#149331 by noshamescam Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:48 pm
--Reply-to email address from site: [email protected]

--Craigslist Ad:

Lovely apartment, very comfortable, immaculate, sun-filled on 2nd floor in the heart of Village. All the charm of a Vintage home including hardwood floors, period trim and built-ins. Great, local responsive landlord!!!
Peaceful and quiet, private entrance, off-street parking. Super location, shops/restaurants, Brotherhood Winery nearby. Convenient to train, bus and all major roadways. EZ commute to NYC, Orange Regional, Stewart Airport, West Point and Woodbury Common. May consider SMALL PET at landlord's discretion with extra pet security deposit. Security and references required, includes ALL utilities.

Email us for more info or schedule an appointment.

Immediate move in.--

--Reply I received via email:

"Hi,

Thank you for your reply. The great news is that the unit is still available . There was a potential renter who had serious interest in the unit, but he lost his job, so we need to start showing it again, as we want to get it leased immediately. Considering you had emailed us initially, regarding the rental, we are giving you first right of refusal.

The unit is in excellent condition. We know a lot of prospective renters want to take a quick look at the property, regardless, our policy is not to divulge the address, as the current tenants are still there. We don't want to disturb them as they are moving out currently. I’ll confirm what you probably already know this property is gorgeous! A leasing like this would typically go for much more, but again, I need to lease it immediately, which is why the lease rate is a tremendous value.

If you would like to set up an appointment, go to the link below and order your credit report for just a couple of dollars. We use the credit report to determine the % you pay for the security deposit and possibly pay no security deposit if your credit is above 700. Also we will be using the rental history page of the credit report to see your rental history. Here is the link: http: // fblink.info / 31364875e20e3df97d4d3d9d8264588b

See you soon!

Michelle Starks"

--From the link, on the second page, I entered info to create a username and password, as well as my credit card info. When I clicked the "next" button, the page loaded as if it were going to a new page; however, the same page reloaded and all my info was gone. I'm pretty sure it was at this point my info was "phished". I didn't think too much of it at the time, so I re-entered everything and hit "next" again. On the following page, I was asked to enter my Social Security info. I got a bad vibe and Googled their site and stumbled onto this forum. I don't know if I actually had my info captured or not, since I didn't complete the transaction for the so-called "credit check". If anyone knows anything about "phishing" sites and thinks I did indeed have my info stolen, let me know here and it may help others who find themselves on this forum as well. I truly hope this person is caught sooner rather than later and nobody has their lives ruined by this scam.

--Also, the site's supposed contact info does not match the real TransUnion's info...

"Call Us

(877) 840-5417

Monday - Friday: 6 AM to 5 PM PST
Saturday and Sunday: 9 AM to 2 PM PST

Mail Us

SimpleCreditSolution?340 S Lemon St #8881?Walnut, CA 91789" ----Fake info!!!