Room for Rent and other rental scams
#144805 by Con Warner Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:46 pm
Originating IP: 197.255.174.184
Originating ISP: Spectranet
City: Lagos
Country of Origin: Nigeria
Date: 14 January 2013 11:11
Subject: Apartment Needed Reply Asap !!!
To: Con Warner

Hello,

I come across your house for rent advertised on the internet and i am interested in renting it,please let me know if it is still available.I will be signing one year lease for this unit and will be staying with my wife and daughter,and will be willing to offer you 2 months rent plus the security deposit in order to secure this unit prior to our arrival.Could you be kind enough to let me know what the electricity/utility cost would be?as i will really need to have this unit to myself.You can send me the lease application,to enable be review it ahead of time.i would eventually have it signed physically when i arrive in person.
Please do get back to me in time because i will really appreciate a quick response.

Regards.
Dr.Yann Dedet

This scammer will indicate interest in renting your property but wants to send a cheque for more than the rental rate. He requests that the advertiser cashes or deposits the cheque, sending the excess to a third party, often a supposed shipping company.
The "shipping company" or other third party is either the same scammer or his accomplice.
All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

Do not cash or deposit any cheques from this thief!
You will definitely lose your money and may be charged with financial fraud.

If you are at all unsure about a cheque or money order that you have received, you should take it to your bank or local police and tell them you think it may be from a scammer.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement