Room for Rent and other rental scams
#147178 by Michelle Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:14 pm
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 14:22:21 -0800
To: Michelle Banks
Subject:

Thanks for your understanding. Here is the transfer procedure to avoid mistakes

1.Locate any western union money transfer outlet around you.

2.Pick up the form and fill which contain senders name,receivers name and telephone number

3.Note when filling it you have to put the senders name as your name[senders name your name] and the receiver name [your friend or partner name in the UK

4.After the filling of the form you return back the form to the post master with the money you're transferring and wait for the receipt.

5.After receiving the receipt you'll scan it to me so i can forward it to my husband for confirmation on the online internet if truly is valid and available in your friend or partner custody if you don't have scanner you can as well forward me the details inside. after the confirmation by my husband i will get back to you to tell the receiver to pick it up, and fix a date on your convenient time for the viewing

Note the cost of transfer will be giving back to you when you meet my husband for the viewing.

Once again we are sorry for any inconvenience we must have cost you,

I look forward hearing from you if you're well understood.

Regards
Mr/Mrs Powell

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement