Room for Rent and other rental scams
#22650 by Michelle Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:51 pm
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 11:54:01 -0800
Subject: I NEED A PLACE ASAP
To: Michelle

Hello There,
My name is Kristar,I saw your advert on www.craigslist.com concerning your room for rent, please i would like to know if the room is still available.I'll be traveling down to the states for my 6 months vacation and 6 months project making a total of 12 months all the way from UK,I am 29yrs of age.....also i want you to let me know your rent and your mode of payment if theres any form of me signing a lease then i will handle that aspect as soon as i make confirmation payment for the room and when i finally arrive i can fill and be able to sign as well... I hope to hear from you soon.

Kristar Rudee
BESTMAN HUMANITARIAN SERVICES
20 WALTON RD
LONDON E12 5RS
UNITED KINGDOM
+77023048666

Advertisement

#25519 by irhunte Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:17 am
I just received this exact email on 4/2/10. I did a little research on "Bestman Humanitarian Services" and their website (bestmanhumanitarianservices.com) has nothing more than the name, address, and phone number. Fishy!
#25530 by Michelle Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:35 am
Welcome to scamwarners irhunte

If the only details that you have divulged are very basic, such as names and addresses, there is nothing to worry about,. This particular scammer is trying his scheme with so many people you will soon become forgotten about unless you continue to write to him.

It may surprise you to learn that this scammer is writing to you from an Internet Cafe in Lagos Nigeria. If he writes again simply and politely reply telling him that you no longer wish to go along with the deal. You can tell the scammer that you have changed your mind or are dealing locally, etc. and then just completely ignore any and all emails from him. You don't owe him any explanation and confronting him won't have any benefit.

He has no interest in whatever was being advertised, and nobody will be calling. He wanted to send you a (counterfeit) cheque or money order for far more than you were expecting and hoped that you would cash it, and send his non-existent shipping company a large portion of the money before your own bank or cashing agent realised that the cheque or money order was bad and pursued YOU for the return of the FULL AMOUNT, possibly pressing charges against YOU for attempted fraud and money laundering.