Room for Rent and other rental scams
#23215 by Michelle Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:42 am
On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Mrs Jason < [email protected] > wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for your Interest In my flat . I will like to inform you that the flat is still available for both long term and short term rent.I'm sorry for late response to your mail. i have attached the pictures of the bedroom, sitting room,bathroom and toilet and also the kitchen along with this email.This flat comprising of a spectacular Bedroom, living / dining room, bathroom and Big kitchenette.

Links removed

Bright two bedroom available in a great flat off the South Kensington surrounded by lots of great bars, pubs and restaurant.Kings Road, Chelsea.SW3. The flat is just a few minutes from Earls Court and West Brompton tube stations and many bus routes run locally.5/7 mins zone 1 tubes (South Kensington & Earls Court) & 24hr nightbus & transport links day and night. 10 mins Victoria station, Sloane Square & Knightsbridge, 15 mins Clapham/ Green Park, 20 mins Liverpool St (direct bus&tube).

The bedroom is a light room facing the gardens so very quiet and peaceful. The flat has a large semi open plan living and kitchen area with dishwasher, washer drier etc. Living area has Flat Screen TV with surround sound and Freeview. The house has wireless internet. There is a fantastic terrace with BBQ and dining space to enjoy in the Summer months!
Rivertaxi 15 mins to town, Canary Wharf, Docklands or the City, Blackfriars. Direct airport links.

Rent: Rent: £200.00 Per Week for this self contain
it includes all bills (water, gas, electricity, council tax, TV licence), wireless broadband Internet and cleaner... Deposit of £600 is refundable after one week

Rent excludes council tax, gas and electricity.
One month rent required as security deposit will be required.

Area
Kings Road, Chelsea,LONDON, SW3 5ES
All the bills and tax included in the rent

Regards.

Mrs Mary

Follow up e-mail

Date: Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 8:59 PM
Subject: Viewing Arrangement
To: Michelle

Hello Michelle

Thanks for your mail.I'm so glad that you are very much interested in renting my flat.I want to let you know that the flat is available for both short term and long term rent. All the bills are included in the rent .I have some few questions will like to ask you?.

1. Do you have a pet?
2. How many of you are coming to live in my flat?
3. Can you take care of my flat as it is?
4. Can you bring your identity passport when coming for viewing?
5. How many months do you intend to rent and pay for?
6. Do you have references in UK?

I am happy to hear that you are very much interested in my flat and i also hope you are not one of those time wasters.The rent has been confirmed per month and refundable deposit as well to you.I want you to understand that i have had a lot of disappointment in having inviting people in the past and it is sad to confirm on the spot of viewing that 80% of viewer still depend on money that are not visible.Therefore i will appreciate it,if you truly like my property to go ahead with a money transfer of at least a month rent (800£) and a security deposit of 600£ which is £1,400 GBP to your friend's name as the receiver through a money transfer agent,such as western union.It is a very simple test that you need to do in order to be sure of your finances as some candidate have been producing fake bank statements and pay slip to proof their financial capability of rent my property.This simple test brought up in order to be sure of your financial capability of payment for my flat and i hope you are not one of the time wasters cos i have experience a lot of case where candidate won't be able to pay for their rent after the first 2month while some will be owning 3-5 month rent.Also be cautious of who you drop or show your bank statement to,because it is very risky in doing and the Residential Landlords Association has warned us against this.This simple method does not require any of your details in any form.

The process of making the transfer is stated below so you can be sure that it does not require any of your bank details .

1. Locate the nearest western union outlet or shops around you..

2..Pick up the form of transfer and fill in the details which needs to be filled and return back to the agent.Details needed on the form are {sender name;your name and address.} {receiver name and address} the receiver will be your reference or partner's address

3.Return back to the agent with the cash you are transferring to your reference or any partner in united kingdom or reference and wait for the receipt to be returned back to you..

4.Give me a call so i can check it if its truly genuine and available in reference custody....

5.After it has been confirmed that the transfer is truly in your partner's custody,then we can proceed for the viewing and you can as well tell your references or to pick up the money.

Note: I have not told you to send money to me,but which you can transfer the money between you and your reference or any of your friends/partner just for my lawyer to make confirmation if you are presently capable of paying for my rent. After making the transfer through western union,I will refund back to you the cost of transfer then when we meet for viewing and you can then go and pick back your money after the confirmation has been made and pay me in cash ,but make sure you come along with the western union receipt to know the amount paid for and cost of the transfer so i can refund it back immediately. 07024017637

Regards,

Mrs Mary

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement