Room for Rent and other rental scams
#23281 by Michelle Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:19 am
To: Michelle
Sent: Sat, 20 February, 2010 12:17:04
Subject: Re: Reply to your ad: 2bedroom Flat/Aparment for rent asap with utilities included IN LUTON

Hi,
I did get your response concerning the AD I posted on GUMTREE.The apartment is still available but presently I'm not around.. I did bid for a portion of petroleum land sometimes ago in West Africa and fortunately I won the bidding so I have to move quickly down to Africa to have my company set up because I will still have to rebid for it in the next 10 years. I came over here with my wife, we both bought the apartment when we got married. As soon as we settle down here I had a thought of selling the apartment so I have to look for an agent, after getting one, we got a deal but later my wife advised against that. She said we may not be able to win the bidding next time, in other to keep our head when we return that we have to keep the apartment.. I reasoned with her and accepted her advise. So I contacted the agent back and requested for my keys and documents. Later we decided to have the apartment rent out, we would have give the same agent this job also but the truth of the matter is that the agent would want to handle it professionally and the occupant may not be able to reason along with him later. If you notice, you will discovered that the price we are offering is far below standard price, this is enough for you to know that we are not after the rental fee but the absolute care for the property. I know there is no way I can be sure that you are the right person to live in the apartment because we won't be able to see physical before sending you the keys and the documents to occupy the space. But I just had a feeling that anyone who knows what it takes to put the kind of structure down should know that maintaining a building is mandatory, so if you belief you can take good care of the house and handle it like yours then I will be more than happy to let you rent the house.
********RENT APPLICATION FORM*******
********PRIVATE & CONFIDENTIAL*********
Also,Pls answer these questions below:
1)Your Full Name_________________________ ____________
2)Present Address(where you reside now) & Phone __________________
3)How old are you___________________________
4)Are you married _ _____________________________ _____
5)How many people will be living in the apartment __ ________________
6)Do you have a pet ____ __________________________ _________
7)Do you have a car _______ _______________________ ___________
8 )Occupation ____________ _________________
9)How soon can you send the rent and security payment to me __ ____________________________ _________
10)How long are you willing to stay _______ ____________________-
11)When do you intend to move in ___
12)1 month Or 2 month deposit needed ___________________________
13)Picture of you or Occupants......--------------------

7 Leagrave Rd Luton LU4 8, UK

Description
This beautifully presented conversion flat offers fantastic living accommodation comprising of an open plan lounge and kitchen, large bedroom with fitted wardrobes and a lovely handmade bathroom with shower . .** .PET OK
Pets Allowed: Cats, Small Dogs, Large Dogs

Bedrooms 2
Bathrooms 2 full, 0 partial
Sq Footage 900
Parking 2 dedicated
Pet Policy Pets Allowed

No Smoking inside

£100per week Deposit:$400

Best Regards

JOHNSON BEN

YOU CAN REACH ME ON THE NUMBERS BELOW
+234-812-146-4505 OR 011-234-812-146-4505

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement