Room for Rent and other rental scams
#23622 by iherndon Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:52 pm
I knew this person was a scammer from the beginning, but I decided to string them along in an effort to make as many of this person's tactics available to others as well as waste their time from focusing efforts on other potential victims.

The scammers first message was received on 9/14/2009

Hello,

How are you doing? Am Jennifer Peter..29 years old from atlanta, GA but right now i need to relocate and i need a room urgently, so pls kindly get back to me and let me know the monthly amount with the deposit and how payment will be made...But my mode of payment is by check..I am still single with no kid...I am the only child of the family and my parents are late now....I love to socialize with people, my hobbies include bowling, golf, softball, dancing, and romantic dinners, enjoy swiming , going to beach and mostly enjoy TravellingI enjoy life for everything it offers! I'm easy to talk with and I get along with just about everyone..Thank you

Let me know what am to do before coming and i also have somethings to bring along with me when am coming...Take care

Cheers
Jennifer

My first reply

Rent is $450 per month + utilities, non furnished, cable/net included. What area are you looking to move into, which company are you going to be working for?

Scammer's second reply

Hello,
How are you doing today ? Hope you have a wonderfull day over there today. Yes i am very much intrested about the room if truely you want to rent it for me. So i want you to cansider it rented by me cuss i have got no other choice. I hope you got it understood my previouse mail which i sent to you. I sell female bags, shoes, makeup etc bcos i have companies that supplies me,Please if not i will like you to go through it again.

Like i have said earlier that am not right there in the states and the only means of payment from me is by cheque. The cheque will be issued out to you in your name and to you contact address, so i will be glad if you can easily get back to me with all this information so that the payment could be issued to you immediatelly. The details is as follows :

Full Name : .................................
Full Contact Address : .................
City : ..........................................
State : ........................................
Zipcode : .....................................

This is all i need so that the payment could be made out immediatelly and also for to be able to be rest assured that i truely want the place. Also don't forget that the rest of the money will be sent to my travelling agent for my flight arragment after you must have finish with the deduction of all necessary room bills Cuss im planing to come early next week and i want everything to be moving fast. If possible you can join me chat on this IM so that we can talk much better ( [email protected]). Cant wait to read from you.

Have a wonderfull day and remain blessed.
Cheers.
Jenn.
Advertisement

#23626 by Dotti Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:07 pm
Definite check scammer. Of course, this would proceed just like any other check scam. If the victim took the bait, the scammer would send a fake check that looked real enough to pass initial clearance procedures. The victim would see the money in his bank account, and believing the check had cleared, would forward the money to the travel agent. When the bank finally realized the check was fake, the victim would be out the money sent to the travel agent, plus fees for depositing a bad check, bounced check fees for anything written that relied on the money from the scammer's checks, and any fines/citations isused by the police for check fraud.

We see these stories all the time--"you take XXX amount from the check and forward the balance to YYY." There is no earthly reason a stranger would need to make this request. "She" couild just as easily send two checks. But of course, thta would defeat the purpose of the scam, which is to get cash from the fake checks.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.