Room for Rent and other rental scams
#23625 by iherndon Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:03 pm
I knew this person was a scammer from the beginning, but I decided to string them along in an effort to make as many of this person's tactics available to others as well as waste their time from focusing efforts on other potential victims. In addition, hopefully others who receive messages from this person will be able to find their way to this forum by doing a google search with the scammers email address in the same way I did when I first found this place and realized someone was trying to scam me for the first time.

This scammers first message was received on 9/13/2009 from [email protected]

Hello.
I saw your ad and it was really appealing to me. I will be renting
your room for my marketing executive coming to the states for 6 months
to 1 year programme starting from Sep.I want to know how much is the
rent fee per month plus the utilities and if you require deposit,and also will be paying with cashiers check.I am anxiously waiting for a reply from you so I can make an advance payment before her arrival.
Hope to hear from you soon,thanks and God bless you

My Best Regards,

Oliverjyde

My first reply below

Hi there, i'm sorry but I have had poor luck with people from outside of the country who are offering to pay with cashier's checks. They tend to turn out to be overpayments that are just a segway to some scam.

Thank you for your interest though.

This individual never responded back after my first reply. They abandon their efforts as soon as they realize you know what's going on.
Advertisement