Room for Rent and other rental scams
#23636 by Michelle Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:22 am
from christana carrick < [email protected] >
to Michelle
date 3 March 2010 08:03
subject Re: Reply to your ad: Charming and stunning One bedroom flat for rent in Bristol all bills inclucive
mailed-by gmail.com
Signed by gmail.com

Thanks for the interest you have in my flat. My flat is still available for rent and its fully furnishd in and out. Here are the necessary things you need to know about the rent and deposit.

Rent : £ 85.00 pw
Security Deposit: £ 500.00 (returnable at the end of a month stay in my flat)
Utility bills inclusive ( water, gas, council tax, TV license and wireless Internet) Utility Cost : £ 0.00 pcm

However, At this stage that you want to rent my flat, i need to know some few question about you. Can you take care of my flat as it is? How many months do you intend to rent and pay for? Do you have references in Bristol?

Kindly reply for further information and i would like to know where you are coming from to stay in my flat.

Regards
Mr/Mrs Carrick

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement

#23670 by Michelle Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:39 pm
Follow up e-mail

from christana carrick < [email protected] >
to Michelle
date Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 7:37 PM
subject Re: Reply to your ad: Charming and stunning One bedroom flat for rent in Gloucester all bills inclucive

Thanks for the reply and the sincere interest you have in my flat. I spoke with my lawyer concerning your stay in my flat and we both agreed to have you in my flat as long as you will take good care of it. However, you can stay in my flat as long as you pay your rent at when due. It is unfortunate that my past bitter experience of inviting people to come and view or reserve my flat without any form of confirmation of their financial ability and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss to me. I have traveled all the way from Ireland to take some interested candidates round my flat because that's where i work with M. Gould (Scunthorpe) Ltd.

Some outside tenants do not have the money to pay the rent and yet they disturb the the landlord to arrange a viewing with their friend or relative who are in Gloucester, also some do not meet up with the appointments which has led to the dismissal of some landlords in office by there employers.

Henceforth my lawyer and i have decided to carry out a simple test on financial ability to pay for my rent before coming for viewing. I would not ask you to send your bank statement. At least 2 weeks rent and security deposit which is £ 500 which is returnable at the end of a month stay in my flat, would be required from you to transfer through Western Union to someone close to you. You can make the transfer with your name as a sender and your friend or patner's name as a receiver.

Once you have done this, Scan the receipt to me and if you do not have scanner, you may write out the details on the receipt as i will send it to my lawyer to verify if it's truly genuine and available in your friend's custody, after verification, then we can proceed for the viewing and you can as well tell your friend or partner to pick up the money and also, i will refund back to you the cost of transfer when we meet.

I look forward to reading from you soon. +447024046789

Regards
Mr/Mrs Carrick