Room for Rent and other rental scams
#23838 by Michelle Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:23 pm
To: Michelle
Sent: Sun, March 7, 2010
Subject: Re: Reply to your ad: Furnished modern one-bedroom apartments in the heart of Leeds

Thanks for the reply and the sincere interest you have in my flat, my flat is close to the transport link at the city center and its self contained in a conducive area.I am willing to have you in my flat as long as you'll take good care of my flat as how it is but it is unfortunate that my past bitter experience of inviting people to come and view or reserve my flat without any form of confirmation of their financial ability and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss to me. I have traveled all the way from Ireland to take some interested candidates round my flat because that's where i work with M. Gould (Scunthorpe) Ltd.

Some tenants do not have the money to pay the rent and yet they disturb the the landlord to arrange a viewing with their friend or relative who are in Leeds also some do not meet up with the appointments which has led to the dismissal of some landlords in office by their employers.

Henceforth my lawyer and i have decided to carry out a simple test on financial ability to pay for my rent before coming for viewing.I would have asked you to provide your bank statement but some prospective candidate has misused the opportunity in the past providing fake document. At least one month rent £320 and security deposit which is £ 400 which is refundable after your first week stay in my flat, would be required from you to transfer through western union money transfer . You can make the transfer with your name as a sender and your Brother or Partner in UK premises as a receiver.

Once you have done this, Scan the receipt to me and if you do not have scanner, you may write out the details on the receipt as it's stated on the transfer receipt and will send it to my lawyer to verify if it's truly genuine and available in your friend's custody, after verification, then we can proceed for the viewing at your convinient time and you can as well tell your partner or brother to pick up the money and also, i will refund back to you the cost of transfer when we meet.

Kindly reply if you have more questions to ask

Regards
Mrs Sanchez

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement