Room for Rent and other rental scams
#23863 by Michelle Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:33 am
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 03:17:41 -0800
Subject: Re: Reply to your ad: Newly Decorated 2 bedroom flat in Bristol
To: Michelle

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in my Flat.Its located in Church Road, Redfield I am out of the country for my new job, i will be away for six to seven years. I want a clean and responsible tenant to take care of the flat while i am gone, and thats why i have to rent it out so i can have someone take care of it and live in it,while i am away. Lots of time wasters are on here looking for free flat, and thats sure, not what i am looking for. Hope you are serious ? below is
the description of the flat and if that suits you, get back to me.

Property descriptions:
The rent per month £450 include bills and a refundable deposit of £200.
TYPE:
2 bedroom Flat
Features: Flat, Floor #, Parking available,
No parking cost, 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bathrooms
Neighbourhood: N/A Home amenities: Alarm system, Cable ready,Washer/Dryer,Dishwasher,Microwave, Kitchen access,Storage.
House amenities: Furnished, Air conditioning, Private entrance, Private bath, Phone jack, TV, Cable jack, Closet..
Utilities include: electricity, gas, cable, phone, internet wiffi,air condition,wardrobe and so on.
APARTMENT COST: (£450).
I will also need you to get back to me with the required details below so i know if it suits me :-
Maximum stay:.................
Flatmate Description:.................
Personal info:.........................
Address:..........................
Household info:.................
Smoker:...............
Pet:...................
Phone number.........................
I will be expecting to read back from you if you really have interest.
Hope to read back from you soon. Take care.
God Bless you

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement