Room for Rent and other rental scams
#166938 by Kaël Sun May 26, 2013 11:44 am
Thank you for this post which prevent me from falling into this scam.
Here is the new name and new version of the scam I received yesterday from [email protected] (Tang Yew Wah Gerard Joseph).

I have a Well furnished apartment suitable and decent for a Perfect roommate, the apartment is ready for immediate move in and it is located at 28 Scotts Rd 228223 Singapore but before i start telling you about it, it is only right that I let you know more about me being your potential flatmate so that you can know somethings about me.

My Name is Tang Yew Wah Gerard Joseph an easygoing jovial and friendly male. My Hobbies are swimming, reading and traveling. In fact, I have being to France,also recently UK,I also like hanging out with friends and associating with people but I have not had the opportunity to hang out with my friends as I have being busy with my studies and also as I am looking to have my masters very soon. My Dad used to live here in this apartment with my Family but we later moved to UK where he passed away and I am the only one in this apartment although my mother is still in UK overseeing my late father's business and am not around for now and would not be back for sometime. I am in UK now on an internship project attached to a firm of my Dad's Company and I have being sent to supervise and would be back by the end of August. As soon as i have confirmed you as my flatmate for reservation, I will send you the Keys to the apartment by mail

About my apartment,
The house is located at 28 Scotts Rd 228223 Singapore It is a three bedroom apartment and as I live in one room of the apartment, I have two rooms ready for move in, the rooms are furnished with a sofa-bed, two armchairs, dining table with expendable leaves with 4 matching chairs, television with digital receiver, telephone, parquet floors, and there is a window facing north. The apartment is wireless Internet enabled

You will have free and unlimited access to all part of the apartment, the Kitchen, the living room and of course except my room, and you can also have your own visitors.The rent for the room is $600 Per Month and this includes the utility bills(all included) and you will be required to pay a security deposit of $900. This security deposit will be refunded to you at the end of your stay in my apartment.

I hope it suits you well and if you have any more questions you can surely ask me, I also attach the pictures of the apartment and i am willing to send you the tenement contract agreement so that we can conclude and you can eventually move in.

Regards and waiting to read from you soon

Tang
Advertisement

#174685 by wardc2 Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:32 pm
easiest way to spot scammers: offer is too good to be true and they ask for money upfront. this scammer has done both. he's also divulged a lot of information about himself which just isn't normal. the story is far too elaborate. an honest person would not ask you for any money and discuss contracts at an early stage. i got a version of this email and immediately responded stating i was sceptical and asking how he got my email. his response was generic and he couldn't highlight exactly were he found my email. he then asked for money and offered to send a contract.