Room for Rent and other rental scams
#167420 by makingthewebsafer Thu May 30, 2013 5:33 pm
Thanks,My name is Ben A Kirkerby, I own the home you are interested in. The home is still available for rent, but I will only be interested in renting it out to a very responsible occupancy to maintain it like its own property. Presently i live & work in Brainerd, MN. You can go ahead and view the surrounding of the house and neighborhood area at your own convenient time.

Address:

One months rent $755
security deposit of $750

Requested information for proper record and documentation such as :

Name (First name/ Middle name/Surname ) : __________?

Phone # : __________?

E-mail : __________?

Best time to call : __________?

How many proposed occupants : __________?

List all in addition to yourself including approx age : __________?

Present Address : __________?

City/State : __________?

Will you have pets : __________?

Please describe Breed, size : __________?

Personality of pet : __________?

Preferred move in date : __________?

Intended length of lease: __________?

Earliest possible date of deposit payment: __________?

Length of previous tenancy : __________?

Present occupation : __________?

Monthly Incme: __________?

Are you a section 8 applicant : __________?

Do you run a business from home : __________?

If so what kind of business : __________?

Do you work late night : __________?

Do you smoke : __________?

Do you drink : __________?

==============================
Rental/Lease comment:
==============================
Looking forward to hear from you so we can proceed on the documentation and shipment of the keys to you.

Ben Kirkerby.

Subject: Tenancy Application Accepted

Good day Responsible Tenants,

My family and I have gone through your application form that you filled and everything is okay also I want to tell you that i can keep the home for you But you have to pay down the security deposit so that the home can be secured under your name, then you can pay other rents any time you want to move in & then i will send you the documentation to take over my home! Also i want you to know that the security deposit is refundable,I will be sending the package to you through FedEx Home Delivery and the package containing the keys only will be delivered to you within 24 hours through FedEx Home Delivery to the address that you have provided when filling the lease application Or where do you want the package to be deliver to? as soon as the deposit is made you can view the inside..Well get back to me asap so that i can give you my information you will need to pay the security deposit asap. Security deposit is refundable. Here is my cell number (218) 270-4130

Am waiting to read from you.

Kikerby.
Advertisement

#181660 by cgreen Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:34 am
Thank you for posting this information. I'm filing a complaint with the FTC as it appears we are experiencing a similar situation as you describe. This would be a federal issue with potentially multiple state jurisdictions involved. We are in CA and the potential suspect in MN with the (218) area code.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#&panel1-1
#181695 by Dotti Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:43 pm
We are in CA and the potential suspect in MN with the (218) area code.

Unfortunately, he is not in MN. Chances are he is not in the US at all. This particular scam format is favored by scammers from Western Africa. Though they could be anywhere, statistically they are most likely located in Nigeria, Ghana, or Malaysia (where there is a very large cell of Nigerian scammers.)

1-218-270-4130 is a Bandwidth.com VoIP number. Basically, it's computer-based, and can be answered from anywhere in the world. Scammers often get hold of these numbers (or magic jack devices) to disguise their true locations and make their stories a little more believable.

It certainly makes sense to file a report with IC3, but unfortunately, you are unlikely to see justice served in the near future.

Need to post photos? http://scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3219
Are you a victim of a romance scam? Read here for advice and FAQ's.