Room for Rent and other rental scams
#24481 by Michelle Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:37 pm
To: Michelle
Sent: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:38
Subject: Re: Reply to your ad: Excellent refurbished 1 bedroom Flat In Oxford

Hello,
Thanks for the Interest in My Flat,Yes indeed i do have the Flat for rent and its 370£ per month including all bills and the council tax.I moved to Spain because i have one of my properties over there and have been recently transferred from my Place of Work to our Branch Over there. I work in a hospital.You can rent the flat as long as you need to stay even for 2 or 3 years.
The first payment will be for 2 months(£740).
For me is very hard to come in UK and if I will come i must be 100% sure that I will not come for nothing.
As you can see in the photos everything it's new in the flat and the flat is fully furnished, newly refurbished and also benefits from wood flooring.

- Toilet and Bathroom with Shower
- Kitchen with modern fittings
- Dish washer/Dryer
- Washing Machine
- Cable TV
- Wired Internet connection 24Hrs
-important parking place.

Please let me know what your intentions are....when you intend to move in?how long you want the contract to last for?how many people would be living in it and some other things you feel i should know.

I hope not a problem and understand my english that because I non-English

Get back to me

Regards

To: Michelle
Sent: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 15:43
Subject: Re: Reply to your ad: Excellent refurbished 1 bedroom Flat In Oxford

I forwarded Your request to rent my Flat to the Council according to the Rent Stabilization Law of 1969 . Admin. Code Sections 26-501 -- 26-520
The City Rent Stabilization Law (RSL) is the fundamental statute establishing Rent Stabilization regulation in City, and through the Rent Stabilization Code, is administered by the State Division of Housing and Community Renewal (DHCR). E stablished in 1969, the RSL is a modification and successor regulatory scheme to Rent Control. As Rent Control apartments become vacant, they normally become subject to Rent Stabilization.
I want to let you know that i have just receive a call from the Council That i should give you a trial in renting my Flat and you should go through the normal Process in doing this and that is you will have to make a refundable security deposit and 1 month rent (Refundable) to the council in which when it has been confirmed received,i will come down and Show you the Flat and if and if not you rent the Flat the deposit will be refunded back to you .
So get back to me as soon as possible if you are only interested.

NOTE:I attached a security deposit demand letter given to me by the council to this message.

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement