Room for Rent and other rental scams
#24745 by Con Warner Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:13 pm
Sent: Fri 3/19/10 1:20 AM
To: *****@*****.com

Thanks for the swift reply and the sincere interest you have in my flat. I am willing to have you in my flat as long as you'll take good care of my flat as how it is but it is unfortunate that my past bitter experience of inviting people to come and view or reserve my flat without any form of confirmation of their financial ability and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled, has brought about great loss to me. I have traveled all the way from Ireland to take some interested candidates round my flat because that's where i work with M. Gould (Scunthorpe) Ltd.

Some outside tenants do not have the money to pay the rent and yet they disturb the the landlord to arrange a viewing with their friend or relative who are in UK, also some do not meet up with the appointments which has led to the dismissal of some landlords in office by their employers.Therefore,the viewing or give out the flat to you is not a problem when all the requirement have been meet,my legal adviser have to conduct a sample test on your financial ability to pay for rent as at when due.

Looking to forward to you soon.

Regards.

This person asks for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union payment to a friend or family member.

Another angle that is used, is to ask for payment via Western Union and they will send the keys through a courier company.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement

#25284 by Con Warner Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:57 pm
Follow up with this:
Sent: 30/03/2010
To: ********@aol.com
Thanks for your reply and the interest you have in my flat,I call my lawyer concerning your intension,my lawyer and i have decided to carry out a simple test on financial ability to pay for my rent before coming for viewing. I would not ask you to send your bank statement. At least security deposit which is £600 which is refundable after your first week stay in my flat, would be required from you to transfer through western union money transfer . You can make the transfer with your name as a sender name and your partner or friend as a receiver.

Once you have done this, Scan the receipt to me and if you do not have scanner, you may write out the details on the receipt as i will send it to my lawyer to verify if it's truly genuine and available in your friend's custody, after verification, then we can proceed for the viewing and you can as well tell your friend or partner to pick up the money and also, i will refund back to you the cost of transfer when we meet.I'm really sorry for any inconveniences that might cause you in the process it only for my lawyer to know your financial ability.
I wouldn't want you to get me wrong, the idea of making a confirmation of your financial ability is not only my idea, my lawyer and i decided to use that process and i can't violate my lawyer procedure. I am 63 years of age, a God fearing man and i am not after your money. I have my own work and i earn enough money for my family and also to help the less privileged.
However, i didn't want to collect any money from you as long as you have not sign a contract neither have i taken you round my flat. All what i request of you is to transfer the deposit to someone close to you through Western union money transfer outlet near you, once you've done that, you get back to me with a scan copy of the transfer receipt so that i can forward it to my lawyer to confirm if the transfer is valid.
After the confirmation might have been made by my lawyer, i will ask you to tell you friend to pick up the money and schedule a convenient day for the viewing. If eventually you don't want to proceed with the rent, i promise to return the cost of the transfer without any deduction.
I look forward to reading from you soon.
Regards.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com