Room for Rent and other rental scams
#171605 by Con Warner Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:54 am
Date: Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 11:11
Subject: Re: - $950 / 1br - 1300ft&sup2; - Per Month - Charming 1 Bedroom in Beautiful Building. Luxurious Furnis (N Michigan Ave Chicago)
To: Con Warner

Happy to hear of your interest,
The apartment is available for rent.

The apartment's address is: *6 N Michigan Ave Chicago IL 60602*, 5th floor, building with elevator, gym, sauna all free access.

It is in a very select central neighborhood, the area is very nice, very quiet and safe, it is close to all the best attractions, easy access to public transportation. Great Restaurants, Bars, Pubs and shopping abound in the immediate area, all within walking distance.

The apartment is very spacious, about 1300sqft, very modern and bright, 1 large bedrooms, 1 baths, a living room, dining area, washer and dryer in the apartment, lots of closet space, fully furnished, all new bedding/linens, cookware, dishes etc . The rooms are nicely furnished and the apartment features a spacious/open modern Kitchen with Stainless Steel Appliances: range/oven, microwave, dishwasher & refrigerator, lots of closets and storage space. Air Conditioning, nice bathrooms. Sound System. Comes with a gated parking space included,a storage unit where you can deposit my furniture (if you want to rent it unfurnished and you want use your own furniture). Any maintenance work is done by a specialized company and i will be billed for any work that gets done. Pets are allowed!

Please click the following link, it is a photo album of the actual apartment:

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/242279731

We will use a standard rental agreement according to US law and legislation, the lease is flexible, month to month ok, max 3 years contract with the possibity to renew.

I am the apartment's owner, my husband and i own several properties we are renting in the area.

To secure the apartment the rental terms are as follows :

US$ 950.00 per month ( for the entire 1 bedroom apartment with 2 parking
spaces, all utilities and amenities included )

2 month's rent in advance ( first month and last month's rent ) 1 month's rent security deposit ( that you will get back when you move out )
Max stay up to 3 years with the possibility to renew. Lease is flexible, month to month ok.

Move-in total :
2 months rent ( first and last ) plus one month security deposit ( that you will get back when you move out )

I am looking for someone serious and reliable, with a stable financial situation that will take care of our property.
Please reply if you are interested in the apartment and shortly describe yourself, your occupation.

All the best wishes,
Regards.

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.
Last edited by Con Warner on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Disabled link

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement

#196028 by NK123 Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:35 pm
I received a very similar email from a "Winona" who is living in "Poland" although hotmail says its -7:00 GMT. I googled the address and it turns out to be the Ritz-Carlton hotel on East Pearson Street. He/she is going by the name "premier class" and sent me a video of an apartment on youtube which he/she has clearly copied. The email address used is [email protected].

Happy to hear of your interest,

Here's a little more info about my apartment, the area, amenities, etc

AREA : Central neighborhood, very nice area, very quiet and safe, close to all the best attractions, easy access to public transportation. Great Restaurants, Bars, Pubs and shopping in the immediate area, everything within walking distance.

BUILDING : 4th floor, Secured/keyed entry, full service doorman. Building with elevator, State-of-the-art fitness center, sauna all free access. 24-hour emergency maintenance, Business/Conference Center with computers,copier/fax machine, wireless internet, etc! An underground gated PARKING space INCLUDED, Storage unit included, you can deposit my furniture (if you want to rent unfurnished and use your own furniture).

APARTMENT : Very spacious, about 1100sqft, very modern and bright, 2 large bedrooms, 2 baths, a living room, dining area, washer and dryer in the apartment, lots of closets and storage space. Fully furnished, spacious/open modern Kitchen with Stainless Steel Appliances: Range/oven, microwave, dishwasher & refrigerator, Cookware, Dishes, Pots, Pans, Coffee maker and so on. All new bedding/linens, towels etc. Air Conditioning, Sound System. WiFi and Cable ready etc. Rent includes all Utilities.
Just bring your bags and move right in!

Here's a youtube video of the apartment so you can see exactly if it is what you are looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jdlR5Yollkc

My husband and i own several properties we are renting in the area.

To book the apartment the rental terms are as follows :

US$ 1000.00 per month - for the entire apartment, parking, all utilities and amenities included )

2 month's rent in advance plus 1 month's rent security deposit ( that you will get back when you move out )
Lease is flexible, month to month ok. We will use a standard rental agreement according to US law and legislation.

I'm looking for someone and reliable people, with a stable financial situation that will take care of our property.
Can you shortly describe yourself, your occupation. What's the period you're looking to rent? Move-in date ?

All the best.

Mod edit: Added quotes for clarity and disabled link to discourage re-use. - CW