Room for Rent and other rental scams
#172882 by Con Warner Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:35 am
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 11:11
Subject: Re: backpage response: 665 Thwaites Pl #4C,Bronx...
To: Con Warner

Hello There,

Thanks very much for your Kind interest in my apartment, I am happy to let you know that my apartment is presently available even for long and short term periods. I am Jessica De Santos, the owner of the apartment you are making inquiry .
I bought this apartment for my daughter during her studies in US, but now she's back home (Madrid/Spain) permanently, so I'm renting the place for unlimited time.
Before we go any further I would like to know a little something about you, like how many persons you intend to live in the apartment, and for how long.

The flat is exactly like in the pictures . The district is very well-served with public transportation, shops and the apartment building is surrounded by a host of supermarket where you can easily get things needed. Also, very important, the utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 1 parking spots, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are INCLUDED in the price of $800 per month. The warranty is also $800 and you get it back, when you decide to leave the apartment (you will have to give me at least 30 days notice). As for me, you can rest assured that I will never ask you to leave the apartment. My daughter is building her life here, and i am too old to move to US, so we won't disturb you.

So i will solicit for your absolute maintenance of this apartment and want you to treat it as your own, is that taken, I want you to keep it tidy all the time so that i will be happy to see it neat when i come for a check up.I do that once in a while. I want have trust in you as i always stand by my words

Now, a little bit about myself so we can get to know each other better.
My name is Jessica De Santos and I'm a 48 years old graphic designer from Madrid/Spain, planning to retire in the next 2 years.
I have a lovely husband, Alexander Santos and a 25 year old daughter, Jana. I am very proud to say that soon I'm going to be a grandmother.
Another member of our family is a 8 year old Labrador which we all love, so, I have no problem if you will keep pets.
Unfortunately, my health and undergoing treatment don't allow me to do any traveling for the next few months, so I will not be able to come and meet you personally for a while.

Since I'm here we need a way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are asking for. I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the Keys in less than 2 days. The solution is provided by a company called Realtor.com , which will handle the payment and delivery of the Keys..
But this won't affect you at all. I can make arrangements to rent the apartment from Madrid (on my expense of course).

If you want to know more about how this deal can work please get back to me ASAP and i will send you the details step by step.

All the best from Madrid

Jessica De Santos and Alexander Santos

This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union or MoneyGram to an escrow company with a promise that he will send the keys through a courier company.

Sounds safe. It's not!
The emails claiming to be from the company are fake.

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Hello Again,

Thank you for your reply!

After analysing all the applications together with my husband, we decided that you would be suitable to rent the apartment. We can start with a basic 1 year contract with the possibility of renewing it or with the period of time suitable for you.

Like I have informed you before, you need to pay 1 month of rent + 1 month of warranty after you have receive the keys ($800.00 + $800.00 = $1.600.00), but that month of warranty you will receive back after you finish the contract. The price will not increase monthly, it will remain the same for the whole period that the contact will be signed for.
The rent will be paid monthly, to my bank account and the utility bills are paid directly from my bank account
In order to view the flat and settle a deal, you will need the keys, and the contract.

If we decide to proceed with this transaction, I will have to contact Realtor.com and provide them all the necessary information, so they can start the process right away. For that I will need your Full NAME and address where you want to receive the keys/contract.
Next you will receive a notification message from Realtor.com containing all the instructions that you need to follow and the invoice as well. Regarding the Payment, you will be instructed to deposit the amount to an agent from Realtor.com. They will hold, lock and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want take it or not (the Realtor.com Payment Services that I was telling you about in my previous email). As far as my concerns, I will be glad to know that Realtor.com has the possession of the money until you will decide if you want to rent the place or not. That is my insurance. Your money will be secured, the payment details will be held unavailable to me, so you are in total control of your money.

Will need only $800.00 to receive the keys and contract. After you did made confirmation of payment, They will send you the keys and contract.

When the transfer has been verified and locked in Realtor.com custody I will receive a notice that the deposit was confirmed and I will request them to start the shipping (DHL 2 Days Delivery). The keys and rental contract will be delivered at your verified address in no more than 2 business days. You will be given a three days inspection period from the day you receive the keys and contract at home. If you decide to hold the apartment, then you will have to authorize Realtor.com to release the funds to me, and the transaction will be completed. If you will not be satisfied with the apartment, you will send the keys and contract back through the same service and ask Realtor.com to return the funds to you (you will not be charged). The amount will be refunded in max 24 hours after your request. I am sure you will love the apartment, but it is good to know that you do have this second option available. If you wish to proceed with renting the apartment,please provide me your full NAME and Address, so I can initiate the deal through Realtor.com right away, and of course please make sure that you have the money ready.
I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you for your time and nice cooperation.

Regards! Jessica

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com
Advertisement