Room for Rent and other rental scams
#25103 by Michelle Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:30 am
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010
Subject: Re: Reply to your ad: 1 bedroom flat in OLD CHRISTCHURCH ROAD, BOURNEMOUTH!!
To: Michelle

Hello Michelle

Thanks for getting back to me and the price per month is just £400 while the deposit is £350 all bills included with no extra charges and certainly you will view it but I need to see a proof or sign that will convince me that you're capable and have the money to rent the apartment cos I've been deceived several times by time wasters and let down in a very disappointing way,In a nutshell I arranged a couple of viewings in a not-too-distant past with potential tenants of which they brought along their payslips and bank statements but all was of no use because they refuse to pay after showing me all those evidence as proof and I've finally concluded that I will see a proof or sign that will convince me of anybody's financial capability and viability that wants to rent my property and at the moment I'm in Cambridge briefly checking my father's medical condition so before I can come down to Bournemouth for the viewing I would love to see a proof from you.Mind you I don't base their but I am only their to look after my father's health within shortest period of time.

Regards

Dave

Follow up mail:-

Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010
Subject: Re: Reply to your ad: 1 bedroom flat in OLD CHRISTCHURCH ROAD, BOURNEMOUTH!!
To: Michelle

Hello,

I want you to read this carefully and don't miss understand me.I really want to tell you there are lots of time wasters here and people cause you to waste your quality time when you're busy doing some reasonable things.like I said earlier on I've been disappointed in different times and I've also been let down in my past experience with prospective tenants of which I wouldn't want that to happen again so in order for me to avoid that kind of situation again.
I would like you to show me this proof.

The only way for me to know and confirm that you are capable and have the money to rent my flat is just for you to send a month rent and the deposit via Western Union to your friend or anybody you trust in U.K

The transfer requires little fee to send the one month rent and the deposit at Western Union office.It will be refunded back to you if you DO NOT like the flat of which I know you're going to like it cos I've got likely what you're looking for and if it's not precise then it should be almost what you're looking for and if you LIKE it.

The sending charges will be deducted from the amount of money you will pay me for the flat,I think you understand and after doing this then you will get back to me with the scanned copy of the receipt for me to see and confirm whether the transaction was genuinely done,After the confirmation I will email you so that the receiver can go withdraw the fund as I will need to confirm first before the fund will be WITHDRAWN by the receiver cos this is what I mean by proof of your financial capability.

Then I will be on my way to Edinburgh for the viewing and renting of the flat.Is just for me to be sure of your capability and your seriousness that you're worthy and capable of occupying my flat in terms of financial capability or viability

I hope u understand my point here,Is for the safety and convenience of both parties.I am NOT asking you to send your money to me please do NOT get me wrong.You know ONCE BITTEN SHY TWICE,for there is maximum guarantee and huge assurance that you are going to like what I'm offering you.But I know you will surely like the flat cos is a standard one and it will surely meet up with your requirements.

Kind Regards

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement