Room for Rent and other rental scams
#25120 by Michelle Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:58 pm
Urgent!!?
Sent: 02 March 2010 13:36:34
To: Michelle
How are you doing?

I understand your point that you need to see my flat before you proceed to make any payment or show any commitment.

As for the viewing, It's quite unfortunate that we can't meet this week cos presently i am in Leeds for a conference Which could last for one weeks.

I have told you before that i have had lots of people contact me about the apartment and end up not turning up, and this really gives me problem because it makes me keep other people asking for the apartment waiting and some of them end up loosing interest for late response.
But since you insist on seeing the flat first...that means you have to show me that you are ready and also that you are ready financially..and capable enough to rent my flat..and you are not time waster so why can't you comply with my suggestion?

It is unfortunate that my past bitter experience of inviting people to come and view my flat without any form of confirmation of their financial ability and not keeping up to time as at when scheduled,has brought about great loss to me.I have traveled all the way to take some interested candidates round my flat because I work in the city as a professional Marketing and Public Relations and Imagine a lady contact me last week and while i was in Liverpool and asked me to show up then i left my duty at work and kept them on hold hoping that she will rent my place and pay me upfront.Although she likes the flat but she got me upset when she was pleading i should allow her stay in the room till the end of the month before she can pay me.I hope you see where i am coming from now..
'll be in one condition because In past times,i have had bad exprience about people that contact me about the apartment and end up not turning up, and this really gives me problem because it makes me keep other people asking for the apartment waiting and some of them end up loosing interest for late response.

I have a better suggestion for the safety and interest of the both of us since you are assuring me that you are a serious person and I'll like be more positive and sure about your rent.Henceforth my lawyer and i have decided to carry out a simple test on financial ability to pay for my rent before coming for viewing.I would not ask you to send your bank statement as it may be used illegally,i will like to use this opportunity to inform you that i don't accept bank statement nor bank account..because people have wasted my time and a lot have trick me with fake bank statement,bank account,pay pal account...so it hard for me to trust people that is why i institing to see your proof that you are capable enough to rent my flat...but if you are able to make payment to your friend or partner's custody in uk,which my lawyer would make confirmation if truly you have make the payment to your friend,partner's or your husband custody via western union or money gram,then we can arrange viewing and we can proceed.

After confirmation has been made,your friend or partner as a receive could go and pick up the money.I will be responsible for the cost of transfer via westernunion, as soon as you arrive to my flat for view.

At least a month rent and security deposit,would be required from you to proceed with the payment via western union or money gram to your friend's,relative custody,that shows how reliable your finance is to rent a flat.You can make the payment to your close friend,through western union agent in any post office or money shop around you or in the bank even you can do it online as well,that is if you will be willing to do this. Once you have done this, you can scan the receipt to me or send the details of the receipt,and if you do not have scanner, you may write out the details on the receipt as i send it to my lawyer to verify, after verification,then your friend or relative can pick up your money back as we proceed to view and also refund back to you the cost of the western union charges.

NB:I and my Lawyer did not has any access in your money..but could only verify the payment that you are truly make the payment via western union or money gram to your friend or relative...
Hope to hear back from you Asap

Regards..

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement