Room for Rent and other rental scams
#173400 by cmegnal Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:51 pm
This is the e-mail I got from [email protected] and thankfully my co-worker was dealing with the same guy about the same house so we figured out it was a scam.

Hello,

God bless you for your interest about our House. This 3bd / 2bath room is still available for rent.
I am renting this house to a responsible and neat person or family who has the fear of God and treat my house as his or her own.

Presently Myself and my wife have moved out of the house due to my work transfer to((Boyertown PA))for an international Christian follower’s crusade.Please i want you to note that i spent a lot on my property that i want to give to you for rent,so i will solicit for your absolute maintenance of this house and want you to treat it as your own, It is not the money that is the main problem but i want you to keep it tidy all the time so that i will be glad to see it neat when i come for a check up and we will be away for good 5 years or more and this is reason why we are actually renting it out so if you are interested in taking good care of our house, then my family will be ready in accepting you as our new tenant who be fully in-charge of our house.
Don't be surprised when you get to the home and see a for sale sign in the home, i had the intention of selling the home once but i thought about it again and decided to rent out the home.. The Realtor are trying to take advantage of me, asking for too much and trying to rip me off and it is a very beautiful home and i will always love to call it my home. So i will want you not to bother yourself about any sign you see in the home saying it is for sale..

If you really impress us by taking good care of our house then you will be allowed to stay as long as you wish okay,

Here is our address of the House: (906 Barbara Terrace Millville, NJ 08332 )

So get back to us on how you could take care of our house or perhaps experience you have in renting . Hope you are okay with the price of US$800/month with heat laundry facilities, air condition and so on and the deposit fee is $600... PETS ARE FULLY WELCOME! We are looking forward to hear from you ASAP.

Please get back to me with the Information requested below I could go through it and let you know if you are capable of renting my house or not.

Applicant Information
Name:
Date of birth:
Cell:
Phone:
Current address:
City:
State:
ZIP Code:
Marital Status:
Best way to reach for Emergency:
Do you have a car:
Do you work late:
Monthly Income:
Do you have kids:
Move In Date:
How long are you renting:
Reason of Relocating:
Do you have a car:
Do you have a Pet:
Do you have any criminal record:

Await your urgent reply. Thanks for your understanding. you can text me at (267) 225-2148

Regards
John Bartholomew
Advertisement

#173412 by Con Warner Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:16 am
This person asks for a deposit payment via Western Union, MoneyGram or bank transfer with a promise that you can have the keys to a property that does not belong to him.

Sounds safe. It's not!

At other times, he will ask for proof that you are able to pay the deposit and rent due to a string of time wasters.
This proof is in the form of a Western Union or MoneyGram payment to a lawyer,a friend or family member.

In either case, if payment is made and you give this person the details, they will collect the money.
You will not hear from them again.

All the details such as names, addresses, pictures etc. that the scammer uses in order to back up his story, are stolen from elsewhere.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Craigslist, Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Email: [email protected]

Latest updates regarding Internet Fraud: http://www.antifraudnews.com