Room for Rent and other rental scams
#25162 by Michelle Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:47 pm
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 09:54:25 +0100
Subject: Re: Reply to your ad: Excellent 1bedroom flat for rent in Sheffield
To: Michelle

Thanks for your email and it is my gladness hearing from you.I am Rev Bryan Tom,the owner of the flat you are making inquiry of. Actually I resided in the flat with my family,such as my wife and my only daughter before and presently we had packed due to my transfer from my working place and presently my flat is still available for rent for 340GBP per month including the utilities like hydro,wash er and security,it is furnished.More so Now, i am currently in West Africa for a Crusade and i will like you to get in touch with my wife for more discussion as She is with the keys and the document to the flat and she's in Houston,TX and she has an accident two months ago that is why we are not together in Africa and the accident was terrible which affected her ear and my legs,she is currently on a wheel chair right now....she will be able to send the keys and documents to you through UPS COURIER SERVICE ON A NEXT DAY DELIVERY TO YOUR flat and move in asap, Please i want you to note that,i am a kind and honest man and also i spent alot on my property that i want to give you for rent,so i will solicit for your absolute maintainance of this flat and want you to treat it as your own,is that taken,it is not the money the main problem but want you to keep it tidy all the time so that i will be glad to see it neat when i came for a check up.i do that once in a while..I also want you to let me have trust in you as i always stand on my word.Where are you located and where do you see our advert also let us know if you need more pictures.

Email my wife Mary on ( [email protected] ) and she will attends to you better.

Thanks and welcome

The thief will tell you that you can rent his accommodation only if you can prove that you have genuine interest. He will ask you send money by wire transfer (normally Western Union) to yourself or a member of the family to show that you have sufficient finances and that you are not a "time waster".

Another variation of this scam is that you need to send (by Western Union) money in order that the keys and other documents can be couriered to you

He will ask you to send him the transfer details.

Make no mistake ! Western Union Transfers can be picked up virtually anywhere in the world and with the minimum of identification. They are almost impossible to trace once the money has been collected. You will never get to see the accommodation or your money again.

If you are reading this because you are looking for property to rent, and you are in contact with this thief you are probably searching Gumtree or similar listing sites. If you receive any requests from 'Landlords' asking for some kind of payment by Western Union before viewing, then it will also be a scam. Please forward the mail to me at the address in my signature line and I will investigate and list them if necessary.

Advertisement